Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who has the record? UPDATE in the life happens, Rome was built in how many days? 1year and counting
914dave
post Nov 21 2016, 06:10 PM
Post #21

914 Addict

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,262
Region Association: North East States

Found a Rich Johnson six mount at Hershey in 2007. That started it all. Took the car off the road in June 2008. Found rust, looked for a rust free tub! Hahahaha. Started rust repair and upgraded the drivetrain. Got a bad case of "while I'm in there". 8 1/2 years later I'm assembling. Did it all myself and didn't borrow a penny. I feel like I'm not taking long enough after some of these stories. Keep at it fellas.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Lots of assembly required!!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tomh
post Nov 21 2016, 10:26 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 11,412
Region Association: None

Engaging in owning and working on one of these cars is waaaay to much$$$$$$ to just let the car sit,thats no fun to me. I bought mine to drive baby!
+Quote Post
RickS
post Nov 21 2016, 11:03 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 5,880

This thread is shocking and funny and sad at the same time.

I was fortunate to get the 3.0 out for a short drive today. It really loved the cool temps.

Best of luck to all still working on their charges.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 22 2016, 06:00 AM
Post #24

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(914dave @ Nov 21 2016, 07:10 PM) *

Found a Rich Johnson six mount at Hershey in 2007. That started it all. Took the car off the road in June 2008. Found rust, looked for a rust free tub! Hahahaha. Started rust repair and upgraded the drivetrain. Got a bad case of "while I'm in there". 8 1/2 years later I'm assembling. Did it all myself and didn't borrow a penny. I feel like I'm not taking long enough after some of these stories. Keep at it fellas.

Looking good Dave!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914dave
post Nov 22 2016, 07:17 AM
Post #25

914 Addict

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 22 2016, 07:00 AM) *

Looking good Dave!

Thanks Mark Time to get it to move under its own power. Tired of pushing it around. When you get your 3.2 going I would like a ride to see what I got myself into. Its funny, I've never even ridden in a six.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 22 2016, 08:42 AM
Post #26

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(914dave @ Nov 22 2016, 08:17 AM) *

Looking good Dave!

Thanks Mark Time to get it to move under its own power. Tired of pushing it around. When you get your 3.2 going I would like a ride to see what I got myself into. Its funny, I've never even ridden in a six.

Ride in it - sure, drive it - yes.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Nov 22 2016, 09:46 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

I am sad to report that I have lost my stoke on the 914. I started the /6 conversion, but became quickly overwhelmed with finishing it. I've lost interest.

In the meantime, I started geeking out on my Toyota Tacoma, lift kit, big wheels and tires, lights. I want to do some off roading and Baja Mexico surf trips.

The Porsche just sits for now.
+Quote Post
sb914
post Nov 22 2016, 09:55 AM
Post #28

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Nov 22 2016, 07:46 AM) *

Baja Mexico surf trips. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

+Quote Post
maxwelj
post Nov 22 2016, 10:05 AM
Post #29

rebuilt member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,532

Hi Tom,
I've met Curt, and in fact a little bit of one of his cars is patched into the front trunk seal channel just above the driver's headlight.

The Transtar is another project, but it has only been resting since the early 90's. It was a daily driver for a few years in the 80s and 90s after being rescued from life as a chicken coop. Plans are to upgrade the suspension, but keep the drivetrain all Stude, with an 080 over 289, R2 blower and a T10 4 speed. I've had the engine in various forms and cars since the early 60's, so kind of attached. Just making sure the -6 is finished before changing focus.

Let me know if you make it up this way.

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 21 2016, 01:49 PM) *

Jack,

You need to get with Curt in Tulsey Town near-ish to you - he goes by Cabinetmaker on here, who is an old 914er too, & is always trying to put together a Talimina Run with OK teeners!

Curt is another crusty old fart, like you & I! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Beautiful Light Ivory `70 914-6 BTW! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Oh & I just saw - a 57 Stude Transtar too! (brainfart here!)

The 3 of us will have to get together for BBQ next time I'm in Tulsa! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

QUOTE(maxwelj @ Nov 21 2016, 12:11 PM) *

Here is mine in 1970

it was taken out of service for reupholstery in 1980 or so, but then I found that the floors were rusted, so it sat in various shops, garages and driveways for the next 30 years.

here it is in 2013 or so, after I raised a son to be a bodyman/Painter <grin>

And here last week, the first time it was driven for pleasure since 1980.

So now the clock is stopped... but there are still odds and ends to finish up.

+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Nov 22 2016, 10:36 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

QUOTE(maxwelj @ Nov 21 2016, 02:11 PM) *

Here is mine in 1970

it was taken out of service for reupholstery in 1980 or so, but then I found that the floors were rusted, so it sat in various shops, garages and driveways for the next 30 years.

here it is in 2013 or so, after I raised a son to be a bodyman/Painter <grin>

And here last week, the first time it was driven for pleasure since 1980.

So now the clock is stopped... but there are still odds and ends to finish up.

THAT is beautiful !
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Nov 22 2016, 11:12 AM
Post #31

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

QUOTE(maxwelj @ Nov 22 2016, 09:05 AM) *

Hi Tom,
I've met Curt, and in fact a little bit of one of his cars is patched into the front trunk seal channel just above the driver's headlight.

The Transtar is another project, but it has only been resting since the early 90's. It was a daily driver for a few years in the 80s and 90s after being rescued from life as a chicken coop. Plans are to upgrade the suspension, but keep the drivetrain all Stude, with an 080 over 289, R2 blower and a T10 4 speed. I've had the engine in various forms and cars since the early 60's, so kind of attached. Just making sure the -6 is finished before changing focus.

Let me know if you make it up this way.

Just sent you a PM with my contact info.

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Nov 22 2016, 11:19 AM
Post #32

TMI....

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Nov 22 2016, 08:46 AM) *

I am sad to report that I have lost my stoke on the 914. I started the /6 conversion, but became quickly overwhelmed with finishing it. I've lost interest.

In the meantime, I started geeking out on my Toyota Tacoma, lift kit, big wheels and tires, lights. I want to do some off roading and Baja Mexico surf trips.

The Porsche just sits for now.

You'll get back to it Lawrence, so go have some Baja fun for now!

Also fitting to hava a "Taco" in Baja! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

BTW - I took my 914 down to Baja a couple of times back in the 70's for a body surfing sojourn with my buddies, but it was an on-road trip, & one guy had made a adapted Piper 914 ski rack to hold their board on their 914 who went with us. So your 914 can go down to Baja too!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

FYI - if you get stuck on the conversion, I'm pretty sure Bill Brewster down your way in South OC has done some 6-conversions, & can probably help you out if you don't mind outsourcing some of the work - or he may just be willing to give you advice over a lunch.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
914dave
post Nov 22 2016, 11:27 AM
Post #33

914 Addict

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 22 2016, 09:42 AM) *

QUOTE(914dave @ Nov 22 2016, 08:17 AM) *

Looking good Dave!

Ride in it - sure, drive it - yes.

sounds great!!! we'll have to set it up
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Nov 22 2016, 12:30 PM
Post #34

TMI....

QUOTE(tomh @ Nov 21 2016, 09:26 PM) *

Engaging in owning and working on one of these cars is waaaay to much$$$$$$ to just let the car sit,thats no fun to me. I bought mine to drive baby!

Well Tom,

While buying a done project & driving it right off is certainly the route that I would recommend for a new person getting into 914s today - unless they're skilled & actually looking to do a project ....

.... most of us with long term projects sitting are long term owners unwilling to let go of our charges, & with sunk costs already in owning/maintaining/repairing/restoring, & attachment to our old gals!

Also, over that time of long term ownership stuff in life happens to waylay our projects. If you're young &/or lucky & never had anything come up in your life to interfere with your "drive baby" credo, then count yourself lucky.

I was only able to start on my car & find this website because I was laid up & bored stiff recovering from a surgery in 2009 - so sometimes the bumps in the road can actually help the quest in odd ways!

So cut a little slack to those of us committed enough to keep our 914s - & other cars - & keep them running &/or moving however slowly towards the long term goal of driving them again.

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Nov 22 2016, 01:24 PM
Post #35

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21

My current 914 has been a nearly continuous project since 2002, with several extended down periods for body and mechanical work but it's always been drivable except while actively being worked-on. I don't have the time, space or fortitude to tackle an incomplete/non-running car build project at this stage..
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Nov 22 2016, 08:52 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

Fortitude is key in these builds.....!
+Quote Post
maddin
post Nov 22 2016, 09:36 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 16,789
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Nov 23 2016, 01:52 PM) *

Fortitude is key in these builds.....!

Spot on!
and it becomes harder the less mechanically minded you are !
I've been up and down the complete scale of emotions,some I haven't experienced since
early childhood when my world crumbled because my mum chopped the spaghettis so i could eat them....
anyway....I gave myself till i'm 50...4 more years.
+Quote Post
trojanhorsepower
post Nov 22 2016, 09:42 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 1,179

I am in for 13 years.... 5 years of "Active" restoration. Oh well, maybe this years challenge will finish me off.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 06:09 AM