Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Uh oh! She just died.
injunmort
post Jun 25 2016, 10:17 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,604
Region Association: North East States

i would suspect coil as well. when cool the windindings are contracted and provide some continuity, when they get hot, they expand. if there is a break in the winding, you lose spark. after 40 years of heat cycling, it is not uncommon. also check for leaks from the coil, if they get real hot, they will leak. another indication the coil has packed up. good luck
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Jun 25 2016, 11:38 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 25 2016, 12:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Jun 25 2016, 10:14 AM) *

Agree that I do not think the coil has anything to do with the work done.

I just read an article that internal ballast resistor coils indeed run much hotter than external resistor units. The resistor basically acts as a huge heat sink.

I wonder if the 914 would be better served using an external resistor unit?

One reason for this could be worn out spark plugs. Before the electric current is able to reach the spark plugs, it must pass through the ignition coil to ensure that the engine will start up at the minimum level of power or electricity. When the spark plugs are damaged or already worn out, they will basically force the ignition coils to work so much harder in terms of electricity flow. This will cause the coil to overheat.

This could also be caused from some sort of new resistance caused in the ignition wiring when the recent work was completed.

Plugs are new NGK, wires are new Magnacor's (8mm). The Bosch blue coil (epoxy filled not oil) probably 2-3 years old without a lot of use on it. Still, I have read several instances of premature failure on these (and the Pertronix Flamethrower coils as well). New coil arrives tomorrow. Hopefully just a fluke and not something else burning up the coil.

+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Jun 25 2016, 11:52 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 19,670
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Jun 25 2016, 12:38 PM) *

QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 25 2016, 12:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Jun 25 2016, 10:14 AM) *

Agree that I do not think the coil has anything to do with the work done.

I just read an article that internal ballast resistor coils indeed run much hotter than external resistor units. The resistor basically acts as a huge heat sink.

I wonder if the 914 would be better served using an external resistor unit?

One reason for this could be worn out spark plugs. Before the electric current is able to reach the spark plugs, it must pass through the ignition coil to ensure that the engine will start up at the minimum level of power or electricity. When the spark plugs are damaged or already worn out, they will basically force the ignition coils to work so much harder in terms of electricity flow. This will cause the coil to overheat.

This could also be caused from some sort of new resistance caused in the ignition wiring when the recent work was completed.

Plugs are new NGK, wires are new Magnacor's (8mm). The Bosch blue coil (epoxy filled not oil) probably 2-3 years old without a lot of use on it. Still, I have read several instances of premature failure on these (and the Pertronix Flamethrower coils as well). New coil arrives tomorrow. Hopefully just a fluke and not something else burning up the coil.

good luck, I wonder if there is a way to test it out, It would suck to buy a new coil only to fry it up and still not know what the issue is.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Jun 25 2016, 12:14 PM
Post #24

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 25 2016, 12:04 PM) *

QUOTE(cuddyk @ Jun 24 2016, 10:32 PM) *
I agree that with the bill you just paid, they should sort this out no questions asked. And NO BILL!

You do know these cars are 40+ years old, right?

Hi Mark. I didn't mean to imply that people shouldn't be paid for their work on cars that need constant attention. And, Chris...you are absolutely right that this issue is likely unrelated to the repairs. But that bill was definitely fat and Amphicar paid it with no pushback. If it were my shop, I'd recognize that this was a customer I'd want to keep happy, and with less than 50 miles on the odometer on the heels of a big bill, I'd fix a simple thing like a bad coil gratis. Or maybe just for the parts cost. Pretty sure you guys would, too under the same circumstances. But, then again, neither of you would've submitted a bill like that in the first place!
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Jun 25 2016, 01:17 PM
Post #25

Just a thought on coils. Would an e-core style HV coil, like a Pertronix 60130, make more sense. They certainly cool better and the resistance rating seems right. Any reason it would not work?

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Jun 25 2016, 01:29 PM
Post #26

Additional info from a, gasp!, Corvette forum ...

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/ignition-coil-info/

from the above article:

"According to industry experts, coils have always had to compromise voltage output against current output. More voltage increases the initial ionization of the spark plug gap, but lowers the amount of current or heat that follows across the plug gap. When a coil is designed to produce more current, the voltage output generally suffers, which taxes the ease of ionizing the gap. In order to accomplish a combination of high voltage and current, the latest coils incorporate a special "E-core" winding design. This is an efficient design that more closely resembles the windings in a true transformer. In this system, less loss occurs during the transfer of electricity due to the closed core of the coil.

Given this technology, an "E" style coil produces spark with both high voltage and current. Another benefit is the coils run extremely cool, even at high rpm. This is due to the efficiency of the design, as well as the large laminations"
+Quote Post
injunmort
post Jun 25 2016, 04:12 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 11,604

as an aside, according to a marine site, specifically regarding petronix and coils. it states that petronix recommends the use of an oil filled coil with their ignition. that it doesn't exceed 4 amp out or the risk over overheating coil and premature coil failure. to measure output, disconnect both sides of coil and measure resistance, then reconnect coil with ignition on, measure voltage at positive terminal of coil. divide voltage by resistance, this will give amps, which should not exceed 4 amps. if it does,you risk overheating coil. i would guess it would apply to epoxy filled coils as well. it goes on to say that by thier nature, electronic ignitions have longer dwell, which also heats the coil. hope this helps, search malonemarine ignition.
+Quote Post
catsltd
post Jun 26 2016, 08:58 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 18,814
Region Association: None

QUOTE(injunmort @ Jun 25 2016, 06:12 PM) *

as an aside, according to a marine site, specifically regarding petronix and coils. it states that petronix recommends the use of an oil filled coil with their ignition. that it doesn't exceed 4 amp out or the risk over overheating coil and premature coil failure. to measure output, disconnect both sides of coil and measure resistance, then reconnect coil with ignition on, measure voltage at positive terminal of coil. divide voltage by resistance, this will give amps, which should not exceed 4 amps. if it does,you risk overheating coil. i would guess it would apply to epoxy filled coils as well. it goes on to say that by thier nature, electronic ignitions have longer dwell, which also heats the coil. hope this helps, search malonemarine ignition.

I wonder if your car has good grounds.
I know my car ran better once I put a ground to the engine,and replaced the chassis and trunk ground.
Never got above 12 volts until I replaced my original alternator though.
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Jun 26 2016, 04:26 PM
Post #29

Hmm, may not be the coil after all.

When I picked it up from shop I noticed voltmeter gauge was only reading about 10.x Volts.

After it died it had plenty of juice to crank the starter but when I got home and hooked up charger it confirmed 10.x volts and showed about 10% charged. After charging, it is back up and car Meter reads 13+ until I turn on the lights. The charger has an option to show alternator percentage and that is only at 25%.

I'll have to check at battery with voltmeter. Will confirm belt did not break but I am thinking it could be voltage regulator whic is original. I did have alternator rebuilt by reputable local shop before I put engine back in. Alternator wire harness is new as are the battery cables and ground strap at tranny.
+Quote Post
Shredhead
post Nov 8 2016, 03:03 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 19,047

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Jun 26 2016, 05:26 PM) *

When I picked it up from shop I noticed voltmeter gauge was only reading about 10.x Volts.

After it died it had plenty of juice to crank the starter but when I got home and hooked up charger it confirmed 10.x volts and showed about 10% charged. After charging, it is back up and car Meter reads 13+ until I turn on the lights. The charger has an option to show alternator percentage and that is only at 25%.

I'll have to check at battery with voltmeter. Will confirm belt did not break but I am thinking it could be voltage regulator whic is original. I did have alternator rebuilt by reputable local shop before I put engine back in. Alternator wire harness is new as are the battery cables and ground strap at tranny.

And the end of the story was...
+Quote Post
pbanders
post Nov 8 2016, 03:49 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 805

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Jun 26 2016, 03:26 PM) *

I just scanned through this topic, and it reads like about a zillion "car died" or "won't start" thread. One observation (a possibly hot coil) gets turned into a whole explanation (despite his reading 12V or less before the car died), and it ends up probably being the charging system.

You have to be methodical when finding the cause of a stall or a no-start condition. You may think you know why, and you're wasting time checking mechanical, charging, fuel supply, ignition, and injection/carbs from a checklist, but it's the mechanic-proven way to diagnose and fix these problems.

There are a number of checklists you can find on Google, I'm working on one that's specific to our cars, that quickly verifies operation of each system so that you don't spend tons of time doing diagnostics. Hope to have it done in the next couple of weeks, we can review it here and make corrections/additions, and maybe we can make it a sticky that we can send people to when they have these kind of issues.
+Quote Post
pbanders
post Nov 8 2016, 03:53 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 805

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Jun 26 2016, 03:26 PM) *

Strongly suggest you read this and follow the appropriate tests.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/ChargingSystem.html

This excerpt in particular applies to your situation:

"Because we are so used to hearing about 12V automotive electrical systems, we tend to ignore the exact battery voltage. Take for example a battery that reads 12.35V. At first it seems to be in perfect condition (about 12V right?) but in reality a 12.35V battery is only 50% charged, 12.0V is 25% and 11.80V is completely drained. Whenever the battery reads 11.99V or lower it is basically a "dead" battery that has lost almost all of its charge. This will give you a rough guide to the state of charge (SOC)."

BTW, a fully charged battery is 12.76V, after you've dissipated the surface charge. Any voltage lower than that is telling you the battery isn't at 100%. You read a higher voltage when the car is running because the alternator is charging the battery (~5 to 10A).
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 03:00 PM