Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Prepping for Engman long kit installation, how bad can it be?
anderssj
post Jun 24 2016, 05:20 PM
Post #1

Dog is my copilot...

Group: Members
Member No.: 207
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

A little curiosity can be a dangerous thing . . .

Since I had pulled all of the "removable" parts (carpet, seats, lower dash, back pad, door panels, etc.) and had a little time on my hands, I thought I'd see what's under all that tar and seam sealer. The pictures pretty much tell the story:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
The wires are evidence of youthful indiscretion . . . my first wiring attempt from back in 1982 or so (oil temp and pressure gauge inputs). I'll be rerouting these . . . maybe (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Attached Image

This last one is the worst:
Attached Image

Overall I guess it's OK--aside from the hole through the firewall, the seams between the floors and the longs were a little better than I expected.

It's probably a good thing we decided to go ahead; now we can fix it all before it gets any worse.

BTW, I really appreciate everything I've learned here in the 914world!

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 24 2016, 05:42 PM
Post #2

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Damn nice! Especially for the East. That's an easy patch if it didn't migrate too far below. Look at that shelf from the engine side to see if it continues down or over to the drivers side. You'll need to yank that firewall sound pad/sponge and do a little recon. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
anderssj
post Jun 24 2016, 06:18 PM
Post #3

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 24 2016, 07:42 PM) *

Damn nice! Especially for the East. That's an easy patch if it didn't migrate too far below. Look at that shelf from the engine side to see if it continues down or over to the drivers side. You'll need to yank that firewall sound pad/sponge and do a little recon. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Thanks! It's a '72, so there's no pad on the engine side of the firewall. From what I could see, the hell-hole side of the hole is pretty much confined to an area that was hidden by a big "wad" (technical term) of seam sealer. I'll give it a closer look tomorrow. Scotty will let me know for sure when he sees the car next week.

Overall, I think I'm pretty lucky so far--the car was my DD for its first 17 years--including 7 in Seattle and 7 here in eastern VA. Saw a lot of rain in its day.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 24 2016, 06:24 PM
Post #4

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(anderssj @ Jun 24 2016, 05:18 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 24 2016, 07:42 PM) *

Thanks! It's a '72, so there's no pad on the engine side of the firewall. From what I could see, the hell-hole side of the hole is pretty much confined to an area that was hidden by a big "wad" (technical term) of seam sealer. I'll give it a closer look tomorrow. Scotty will let me know for sure when he sees the car next week.

Overall, I think I'm pretty lucky so far--the car was my DD for its first 17 years--including 7 in Seattle and 7 here in eastern VA. Saw a lot of rain in its day.

I'd have kept my mouth shut if I knew you were headed to Scott's. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Jun 24 2016, 09:30 PM
Post #5

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704

............. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) time to patch that mouse hole (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Jun 25 2016, 06:02 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 50

Good work, Scotty will make it right and find stuff you didn't notice yet.

Very nice for DD duty in those areas!
+Quote Post
jmitro
post Jun 25 2016, 09:50 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 18,986
Region Association: None

those floors look way better than my 74 that lived in Texas its entire life.

Nice car!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:53 PM