Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GEX, have a opportunity, recommended or ?????
westtexass2k
post Jun 26 2016, 12:54 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,954
Region Association: None

I have tried the search function on several items and spend hours reading thru a 32 page post to find that it had absolutely nothing to do with my search. So either I am using the search function improperly or it doesn't work well for me.
I have had the use the search function comment on most of my questions.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 26 2016, 01:07 PM
Post #22

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 26 2016, 10:54 AM) *

As an aside, what's your most successful search phrase/keywords to search with? Searching GEX turns up nothing. Yet I know there are tons of threads about them going back well over a decade. I've tried "+GEX +engine*" but that brings up a lot of other unrelated results. I usually end up using google, with "site:914world.com" in front of the keywords. But I'd be interested in knowing what you've found works best.

OP has a tendency of not searching anywhere for anything 1st...he might not know what google is....

There was no reason to ask on 914world what a NACA duct is, none at all.
Would it be a different definition here? No.

I can see learning what a NACA duct is elsewhere and then asking how one has used one on a 914. That makes sense.

+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Jun 26 2016, 02:02 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 19,670

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 26 2016, 02:07 PM) *

As an aside, what's your most successful search phrase/keywords to search with? Searching GEX turns up nothing. Yet I know there are tons of threads about them going back well over a decade. I've tried "+GEX +engine*" but that brings up a lot of other unrelated results. I usually end up using google, with "site:914world.com" in front of the keywords. But I'd be interested in knowing what you've found works best.

OP has a tendency of not searching anywhere for anything 1st...he might not know what google is....

I can see learning what a NACA duct is elsewhere and then asking how one has used one on a 914. That makes sense.

I am so blessed to have mueller determining what I do and not do searches on.

As I have said before, many ask many questions in the garage that clearly have been covered before and probably could be found using the search function.

The search function here isn't the best as others have attested and if I wanted to google everything, why would we even need the World?
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jun 26 2016, 02:07 PM
Post #24

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

if I wanted to google everything, why would we even need the World?

The point about google was to use it to search 914world.com. This site is where the information is. For example:
https://www.google.com/#q=gex+engine*+site:914world.com

I also set up a custom search that is helpful. For example:
https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=0137693335450...&gsc.page=1

Just wondered if others have found better tricks for finding these threads.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 26 2016, 02:13 PM
Post #25

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 26 2016, 01:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 26 2016, 02:07 PM) *

I am so blessed to have mueller determining what I do and not do searches on.

As I have said before, many ask many questions in the garage that clearly have been covered before and probably could be found using the search function.

The search function here isn't the best as others have attested and if I wanted to google everything, why would we even need the World?

If you ask a question you expect a response yes?

Someone has to take the time to reply, sure it is a pure voluntary response but don't you think it is a tad selfish to ask someone (anyone) to give you an answer to something so obvious and not 914 specific?

Might as well ask on World "why is the sky blue"? I mean why search on google, this way you get a personal response that is all your own.

+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Jun 26 2016, 02:21 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

$1000 for a wreck with a 2.0 FI engine, Fuchs and a Saratoga, that would be an awesome deal (even for a GEX).

Sell of everything in parts and build yourself a nice fresh engine with the sales profit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 26 2016, 02:23 PM
Post #27

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Double check on the parameters you're using. Make sure:

You select the correct sub forum
Set the search dates correctly.
The 'titles or text?'

Start broad and then narrow.

Mike, why even hang out here if one has to google because a simple answer, instantly, is bothersome? Why take a member to task over it? The NACA topic had me perplexed. I just waited for someone to clarify. Simple...
+Quote Post
stugray
post Jun 26 2016, 03:49 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

I just googled "why is Mueller such a dick to OU812" and it turned up nothing related to this conversation.

Is it OK to ask that question here or do I need permission first?
+Quote Post
HAM Inc
post Jun 26 2016, 05:02 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 6,499

QUOTE(somd914 @ Jun 26 2016, 08:57 AM) *

If you look at the prices GEX sells remanufactured engines for, you can't even begin to buy respectable parts and have typical machining performed for a DYI rebuild for those prices. That alone is a big red flag.

For me, a GEX engine is worth very little - nothing more than a questionable core. Good luck.

GEX engines are not remanufactured, they are rebuilt. There is a legal distinction, and GEX engines don't even come close to meeting the reman standard.

GEX rebuilt T4 cylinder heads consistently had the worst workmanship I have ever seen in a rebuilt cylinder head. I saw a LOT of them and every single one was a hacked up mess. Around 2005 I stopped accepting any heads with a GEX stamp.

Their engines are also garbage. I would offer no more than scrap value for the engine because there is a very good chance that you will salvage nothing of significant value from a GEX "powerplant".

Handle it like a turd.
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Jun 26 2016, 06:24 PM
Post #30

QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Jun 26 2016, 06:02 PM) *

QUOTE(somd914 @ Jun 26 2016, 08:57 AM) *

If you look at the prices GEX sells remanufactured engines for, you can't even begin to buy respectable parts and have typical machining performed for a DYI rebuild for those prices. That alone is a big red flag.

For me, a GEX engine is worth very little - nothing more than a questionable core. Good luck.

GEX engines are not remanufactured, they are rebuilt. There is a legal distinction, and GEX engines don't even come close to meeting the reman standard.

GEX rebuilt T4 cylinder heads consistently had the worst workmanship I have ever seen in a rebuilt cylinder head. I saw a LOT of them and every single one was a hacked up mess. Around 2005 I stopped accepting any heads with a GEX stamp.

Their engines are also garbage. I would offer no more than scrap value for the engine because there is a very good chance that you will salvage nothing of significant value from a GEX "powerplant".

Handle it like a turd.

Thanks for the info HAM...

See now this response is something I would never have gotten from a "Search function"

And although I am not paying HAM or Mueller for their replies, I do appreciate and consider what they say.

Another thing that can cause search functions to be inaccurate is time. Various metrics can change over time rendering the info put forth in the non current post / thread as incorrect. Prices change, technics change, suppliers change, we change.

That is why while a post found as part of search can provide helpful info, It is not the end all be all in the quest for a certain query and shouldn't be used to hang your hat on.

Thank you
+Quote Post
G e o r g e
post Jun 26 2016, 06:30 PM
Post #31

Dr

Member No.: 4,832

QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 26 2016, 05:24 PM) *

See now this response is something I would never have gotten from a "Search function"

Thank you

WRONG... on the link to threads I posted using"GEX engine" as my search parameters this Thread Has HAM's response from 5 years ago

I have seen work from both GEX and JCS over the years. I can not understate how poor the workmanship was. The only hope you have with these companies is if they happened to build your engine from a good core. They will build off any core, regardless of the condition. If you read my used T4 head policy on my website you find that I will not even consider heads stamped JCS or GEX for re-manufacture.

I bet you would be hard pressed to find a single person who has bought more than one engine from them, or anyone who has dealt with them who would deal with them again.

If you want to give your money away, give it to charity. At least you'll feel warm and fuzzy afterward and not homicidal.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Jun 26 2016, 07:13 PM
Post #32

QUOTE(G e o r g e @ Jun 26 2016, 07:30 PM) *

Thank you

WRONG... on the link to threads I posted using"GEX engine" as my search parameters this Thread Has HAM's response from 5 years ago

I have seen work from both GEX and JCS over the years. I can not understate how poor the workmanship was. The only hope you have with these companies is if they happened to build your engine from a good core. They will build off any core, regardless of the condition. If you read my used T4 head policy on my website you find that I will not even consider heads stamped JCS or GEX for re-manufacture.

I bet you would be hard pressed to find a single person who has bought more than one engine from them, or anyone who has dealt with them who would deal with them again.

If you want to give your money away, give it to charity. At least you'll feel warm and fuzzy afterward and not homicidal.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)

WRONG the post while simular is different from the reply recently sent to me.

If you want to make it a contest go ahead.

I am going to do a search AND ask questions just like the rest do....

If you don't like it.....don't respond....or be like some of the other intolerant members here and put me on your ignore list.

That's another function that I find to be so silly. We are adults here and we need a button to push to ignore someone? Come on!

If I want to ignore someone(which I don't) I would ignore them, I don't need some stinkin button to do it.
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Jun 26 2016, 07:22 PM
Post #33

QUOTE(stugray @ Jun 26 2016, 04:49 PM) *

I just googled "why is Mueller such a dick to OU812" and it turned up nothing related to this conversation.

Is it OK to ask that question here or do I need permission first?

I just think we all have ideas on how things should run around here, and Mueller has his.

No worries he has his opinions, which isn't a crime.

I would just hope even if we disagree we are at least tolerant of each other's views

I think it would be difficult to be one of the administrators. Can you imagine how hard it would be to keep quiet when you really wanted to let someone have it?

Geez
+Quote Post
post Jun 26 2016, 07:33 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,245
Region Association: Southern California

Since "this" posting is at the top again, my thoughts are that several have added some valuable replies to the original question posted.
But some how you still do not accept the answers, and thus continue to ask the same question. I hope this tread will not mushroom into another five pages of the same questions from you, similar to your posting on why Porsche didn't simply keep carburetors on all their cars. I have a high school friend that's a Master Porsche tech....if I asked him your question on carbs vs the current fuel injection. I think he might ask me, what century are you living in.
+Quote Post
G e o r g e
post Jun 26 2016, 07:57 PM
Post #35

Dr

Member No.: 4,832

HAM's responses to this thread and the one from 11' are not identical, true, but both specify that he does not accept their heads and his opinion on quality seem to be the same in each answer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I guess unless the answer is directed to you specifically it is insufficient?

I think your grasping at straws to try and make some point that " search" has limited redeeming use and every question should be asked and answered over and over for each new Poster.

here are some rarely asked topics you can get a head start on.

What size tires fit under a narrow body?

will 7" Fuchs fit?

what vin #'s fall under the "S" edition?

Big 4 or 6 which is better?

is yellow faster?

Mayo or Miracle Whip?

QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 26 2016, 06:13 PM) *

Thank you

If you don't like it.....don't respond....or be like some of the other intolerant members here and put me on your ignore list.

That's another function that I find to be so silly. We are adults here and we need a button to push to ignore someone? Come on!

If I want to ignore someone(which I don't) I would ignore them, I don't need some stinkin button to do it.

+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Jun 26 2016, 08:09 PM
Post #36

QUOTE(396 @ Jun 26 2016, 08:33 PM) *

Since "this" posting is at the top again, my thoughts are that several have added some valuable replies to the original question posted.
But some how you still do not accept the answers, and thus continue to ask the same question. I hope this tread will not mushroom into another five pages of the same questions from you, similar to your posting on why Porsche didn't simply keep carburetors on all their cars. I have a high school friend that's a Master Porsche tech....if I asked him your question on carbs vs the current fuel injection. I think he might ask me, what century are you living in.

Respectfully,
You need to read the threads

This one because I have accepted and thanked everyone for their comments and advise.
In fact I made the offer that Mueller suggested and am waiting for a counter or acceptance. This post helped me educate the seller why his GEX is not what he thought it was. I would also hazard a guess it has maybe informed some who haven't weighed in but read through the thread, that may now steer clear of a GEX product.

The EFI post you refer to morphed from me having serious questions regarding why certain decisions were made. At the end of the thread I called out many of my first statements as being incorrect and corrected myself.

If indeed your friend is the school teacher and master mechanic you say he is, I don't think he'd ask what century I live in because that is obvious. I would bet he would say "he has some good questions, but let's educate him on why his questions are wrong and why Porsche did what history shows."

Thank you

+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Jun 26 2016, 08:18 PM
Post #37

QUOTE(G e o r g e @ Jun 26 2016, 08:57 PM) *

HAM's responses to this thread and the one from 11' are not identical, true, but both specify that he does not accept their heads and his opinion on quality seem to be the same in each answer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I guess unless the answer is directed to you specifically it is insufficient?

I think your grasping at straws to try and make some point that " search" has limited redeeming use and every question should be asked and answered over and over for each new Poster.

here are some rarely asked topics you can get a head start on.

What size tires fit under a narrow body?

will 7" Fuchs fit?

what vin #'s fall under the "S" edition?

Big 4 or 6 which is better?

is yellow faster?

Mayo or Miracle Whip?

How can you possibly be so ignorant.....of course yellow is faster

Unless your mepstein then red is.

QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 26 2016, 06:13 PM) *

Thank you

+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jun 27 2016, 06:12 AM
Post #38

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

I also refuse to base an engine from any crankcase with the signature "gold" paint job from GEX, or those 3 letters stamped in the case, or any part.

I won't even consider it. I throw it away.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 27 2016, 08:09 AM
Post #39

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Damn quotes. Screens of them. Why? Can't you guys keep track of a 'conversation'? Fucking waste of time and I have a new callus on my finger, not middle, from all the scrolling.

Btw. The GEX engines are old news. They're cheap for a reason.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Jun 27 2016, 09:31 AM
Post #40

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Pay attention Kevin!
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 05:32 PM