Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pictures of my unrestored 1975 914. Just got it
22truckie
post Jun 25 2016, 10:40 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,138
Region Association: None

This car has 45,000 miles on it. Untouched except for the carpet ( nos carpet has been purchased). Mayan Green is the color. Bought from original owner

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
22truckie
post Jun 25 2016, 10:47 PM
Post #2

Paperwork that came with it

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
22truckie
post Jun 25 2016, 10:50 PM
Post #3

More paperwork

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
22truckie
post Jun 25 2016, 10:51 PM
Post #4

More paperwork

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
pete000
post Jun 25 2016, 11:24 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 12,094
Region Association: South East States

Love the documentation and the salesman's card is cool...
+Quote Post
Gustl
post Jun 25 2016, 11:52 PM
Post #6

914 enthusiast & historian

Member No.: 2,212
Region Association: Austria

would you show us a photo of the Karmann tag on the driver's side a-pillar??

+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jun 26 2016, 01:32 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 17,376
Region Association: Southern California

Great stuff, congrats!

The original buyer must have been a tough negotiator. No charge for the Blaupunkt!
+Quote Post
bretth
post Jun 26 2016, 06:32 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 18,882
Region Association: Southwest Region

Nice car. The customer ID card is a neat bonus.

Brett
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 26 2016, 01:52 PM
Post #9

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

Get yourself a set of 4 of these OE NOS injectors for your parts stash for this beauty!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/ptd/5653342871.html

As for the paint color being Mayan Yellow - I don't see anything in the window sticker, dealer invoice, nor other documents which indicate it was a custom 98 or 99 paint code special order color, & that was never a standard choice color name used on any 914.

Also do post a pic of the Karmann tag in the front driver's door jamb as Wolfgang said. It will tell you if it was a 98 or 99 for a custom color, or if the sales guy was just using the wrong name for the color.

98 would be another Porsche color special order, so look up colors at the 911/912 websites (their numbers will be different than the 914 VW numbers BTW), &/or at the VW colors at the PPG color charts online.

99 would paint to customer sample, so it could be anything custom ordered.

Otherwise use the code # in the bottom box of the Karmann tag to get the actual color name, at the 914 info link at the top of the 914world page....

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=colors

.... & p914.com has pix of actual known cars in the colors on it's paint colors section.

NOTE - Apparently the p914.com website is still having host problems, so it's not coming up now. Hopefully the owner will fix it soon, since it's an excellent 914 info site!

You can also find the dealer sales brochures for colors at Jeff Bowlsby's website here:

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/PaintFabrics.htm

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/

Also - it could've been a dealer repaint to customer request - or just to help sell them the car - with the 911 special order Mayan Yellow which I found near the bottom of the chart at this link....

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedispl...een&rows=50

I know that the dealer &/or OO/buyer of my 73 914-2.0 had been repainted to Sahara Beige then Gold by the time I got it in Dec. 75 as the 2nd owner, plus I've talked about the color changes interior & exterior with a PCNA Field Service Mgr. whom I've known since his days at SoCal dealerships, which he confirmed & said that they could swap interiors between 2 cars in 45 mins. complete - so they did do the color sprays at the dealerships.

That may explain why the delivery date is listed as "...by 12/9/74" - in order to give them time to paint it.

You should get with the OO for the whole story, so you can back it up.

Also a COA from Porsche would be a good idea, with such an unusual color on a very original low mile car!

Excellent 914! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
////////

+Quote Post
22truckie
post Jun 26 2016, 02:49 PM
Post #10

Thanks for all the info!! I am an original, unrestored guy. I know for a fact the car was never repainted ( except for the right front fender ( done very early in the cars history). This was the original paint/ color. I will find out more from the original owner when I get a chance and get a photo of him next to the car. I will be able to get the photo of the karman plate in about a week and post it here on this post so keep checking. The touch up paint bottle is Mayan Green. I was told it was a special order 911 color
+Quote Post
22truckie
post Jun 26 2016, 03:03 PM
Post #11

Found a couple of pictures of Mayan Green 914s on the Internet so they did make them. Also, my car has the what I believe to be original muffler and exhaust system on it. The muffler says Porsche on it and very much appears to be original. Coupl of pictures of the interior

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
22truckie
post Jun 26 2016, 03:04 PM
Post #12

Perfect dash

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
22truckie
post Jun 26 2016, 03:06 PM
Post #13

Seats are flawless. Again thanks everyone. Very excited to be a new member

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 26 2016, 03:55 PM
Post #14

TMI....

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 26 2016, 12:32 AM) *

Great stuff, congrats!

The original buyer must have been a tough negotiator. No charge for the Blaupunkt!

No Mike, but they made up for it with charging him $25 for the center console - which is listed as N.C. on the window sticker, plus the heated rear window option of $50 - which was also on the sticker as same, plus $25 to do the intermittent wiper option (if not already done on the car from the factory, which only took snipping the retention tab at the column switch to open up the 3rd position plus adding the VW/Porsche intermittent adapter in the front trunk, which Jeff Bowlsby sells today for about $25 - so maybe a tad high?), & $145 for dealer prep in the day when $79-99 was more common - if you paid it at all, as that was easiest to negotiate out of back then or now.

So they got an additional $70-100+/- out of the original buyer to cover the dealer's cost for the Blaupunkt at least! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Jun 26 2016, 04:04 PM
Post #15

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234
Region Association: Northern California

Car looks great! Congrats on finding such a nice, unrestored example.

QUOTE(22truckie @ Jun 26 2016, 02:03 PM) *

Found a couple of pictures of Mayan Green 914s on the Internet so they did make them.

Regarding the color, as others have mentioned, posting the color code on your Karmann plate inside the driver's door jam will help determine the color from the factory.

Mayan Green and Berber Yellow apparently are the same color with the same color code, L11D.

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/paintdetail.cg...20Green%7C56421

You can see all the 914 colors for 1975 on this color chart. Berber Yellow is color code B5 V9. Click the image to super size:
Attached Image

... and B5 V9 is cross referenced to L11D on this 914 color chart:
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/members.rennlist.com-12234-1466978689.1.jpg)

Here is the PPG VW color chart for 1975, L11D is called Mayan Green:
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 26 2016, 04:07 PM
Post #16

TMI....

QUOTE(22truckie @ Jun 26 2016, 02:03 PM) *

Found a couple of pictures of Mayan Green 914s on the Internet so they did make them.

Just to be clear on what I posted above, I was not saying they didn't sell any, just that Mayan wasn't a stock color & had to be special ordered, or changed at the dealership.

This 914 is so clean & pristine, that you really need to show it & concours it at your local region & zone PCA events, then Parade is coming to the PNW next year I think - so there too!

Keep it in the Preservation Originality Division at these PCA events for your Zone & national Parade. So even though you're getting a full carpet set of NOS - do NOT succumb to change out the entire carpet set, but only those pieces which have too much wear - e.g.: the driver & passenger floor mats, maybe one or both rocker panel peices &/or the center tunnel piece - because you do not want to pass the 75% original test on the interior. Same thing goes for exterior paint, but the fender damage repair is probably still below the 75% original threshold, but not much more can be done (FYI - paint chip/scratch touch-ups generally won't count, but you'll need a fresh bottle of touch-up paint).

Also can't hurt to show it at a few multi-marque & Euro/German shows up there too! AACA & others have their own rles for how much of what needs to be original.

You should do very well with proper & thorough cleaning, prep & detailing!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

With the 45k miles, original car, & in this condition - this is an exceptional example!

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 26 2016, 04:22 PM
Post #17

TMI....

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Jun 26 2016, 03:04 PM) *

Here is the PPG VW color chart for 1975, L11D is called Mayan Green:
Attached Image

I had a friend back in the day who had a Super Beetle in the Mayan Green, 75 or 76 IIRC. so it was certainly on both the Porsche 911s, VW Bugs/SBs & at least a few 914s.

Since it's a cross referenced color with the VW Berber Yellow, the Karmann plate's paint code may show the L11D number, while the Porsche+Audi dealership used the 911 name for it as Mayan Green, instead of Berber Yellow. Either way it sounds like the same paint mix & color.

PS - the paint names were more of a marketing tool, just as they are today. So there were often the same paint mix called something different between makes, models & model years, just so they could flow with the prevailing breezes of the day.

Good Info Dave!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
22truckie
post Jun 26 2016, 05:53 PM
Post #18

Tom. Thanks so much for all the info!! Trust me, I am probably the most anal originality preservation guy around. I only clean and detail my cars and only pick rust free cars. The entire carpet looks to have been replace sadly, however I found ( pieced together from other sorces, a complete NOS set. That's as good as I can do. I could get in a bunch of times with muddy feet to make them look like they have always been there LOL. I will post a question on the infamous tool kit. As mine is different from the ones I've seen in a black pouch. Was told it was the original set and looks it. Check out my next post I will be doing. Great detective work on the color! I will post the pic of the tab later next week. BTW, I have the original wheels that have not been restored. They will be going back on the car shortly
+Quote Post
22truckie
post Jun 26 2016, 05:54 PM
Post #19

Also. How common is it to have the original muffler? Just curious if they commonly lasted
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 26 2016, 09:19 PM
Post #20

TMI....

QUOTE(22truckie @ Jun 26 2016, 04:53 PM) *

Tom. Thanks so much for all the info!! Trust me, I am probably the most anal originality preservation guy around. I only clean and detail my cars and only pick rust free cars. The entire carpet looks to have been replace sadly, however I found ( pieced together from other sorces, a complete NOS set. That's as good as I can do. I could get in a bunch of times with muddy feet to make them look like they have always been there LOL. I will post a question on the infamous tool kit. As mine is different from the ones I've seen in a black pouch. Was told it was the original set and looks it. Check out my next post I will be doing. Great detective work on the color! I will post the pic of the tab later next week. BTW, I have the original wheels that have not been restored. They will be going back on the car shortly

They are judging how clean the cars are for the PCA Concours, so muddy boots aren't going to help! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

You can probably make the case that the carpet replacement is 25% or less of the interior. But usually the pieces behind the seats, up on the sides by the speakers & above the pedals/under the dash stay pretty unworn & can be just steam cleaned & re-installed. So don't assume that they were all replaced before, unless the OO can confirm it. It was more common to replace just the floor mats, & maybe the tunnel & on the longitudinals if needed (my PO/OO did the floor mats only once & I did them & added Coco Mats - during my 73's 1st 13+ years & 172000 mi of DD use).

The tool kits changed over time, with the grey plastic bag also used. They had less tools. Look in your owners manual for a pic of the kit. Unfortunately that p914.com website had a lot of great pix & info on them & other stuff you'll be asking about. So let's hope they get it back up online soon.

As for: "Also. How common is it to have the original muffler? Just curious if they commonly lasted" - with that low mileage it wouldn't surprise me that it could be the original (I only replaced mine at about 120K-ish in 79-80 IIRC, & that one's still usable but needs a rust blast & repaint).

Things like mufflers, tires, brakes, etc. which are service/maintenance items are generally not expected to last, so aren't considered in the 75% original rule - only exterior (paint/chrome/etc.) & interior.

BTW - I'm going by our PCA Zone 8 Concours Rules here for SoCal/AZ/SoNV area on this, but you should double check online for the PCA Concours rules in your area, & know that non-PCA CdE's will have theri own rules & classes/divisions to research.

Post pix of the original wheels when you can too. I'm curious to see what they were.

Tom
///////
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:29 AM