Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SOT... SBC V8 Crankshafts, Looking at NASCAR Stuff...
dakotaewing
post Apr 7 2005, 09:28 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 897
Region Association: Southwest Region

OK, As some of you may be aware, I have been looking for a DZ302 crankshaft for quite a while.... It is a 3.00 short stroke crank(HIGH REVS)
The people who are buying these cranks are paying a premium, to build #'s correct motors for the 69 Z28 crowd...
Well, last night I stumbled upon some NasCar 3.26 cranks. Mind you, the stroke is very close to a 327, but the guys that have been using these seem to be using flat top pistons, and 6.20 rods, instead of 5.7, and high compression pistons...
Does anybody on the board know anything about these cranks and motors...?

Jimmy? BigKat?

PS
I am looking to build a short stroke, small bore, high RPM motor... Not a torque monster... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

Thanks - Thom
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
LvSteveH
post Apr 7 2005, 09:51 PM
Post #2

I put the Poor in Porsche

Member No.: 600

With all the SBC (small block chevy) stuff out there, I'd think you could buy a much stronger aftermarket forged custom crank that would handle north of 600hp for what these guys are paying for the stock chevy 302 crank. The whole idea of using a 302 is to get the very high RPM's, and the forged crank would be nice to have a 8k!

When you look at the total cost of building a high end motor, $1200 for a crank isn't really too bad. I'm sure one of the mass marketers like eagle has one for around half that.
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post Apr 7 2005, 10:26 PM
Post #3

Steve...
The DZ 302 1178 crank is forged....

If you know where I can get a custom forged short stroke crank for $600, please show me where...

A new Bryant forged crank is about $2800...
They and SCAT are the only folks that see offering anywhere close to the 3.00 stroke. The mass marketer Crank companys are making tons of 350 and 350 stroker cranks. Short stroke cranks are not popular to the masses because the masses want more displacement...
I am not building a 600HP motor. This is going in front of a 901. I am not going to spend $3000-$8000 for a tranny.... When I am done with my car I might have $9-10K total in the car....
I want 350HP 325 ft lb and be able to spin to 7500 rpm.....
But, then I bet you already know that...

I guess this means I am part of the CSOBC.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

By the way, I will take all the help I can get - I don't know much about these engine combos, and I am hoping someone here does...

Steve, thanks for the help-
- Thom

This post has been edited by dakotaewing: Apr 7 2005, 10:31 PM
+Quote Post
BatFromHell
post Apr 7 2005, 11:44 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,890

Thom:
You may want to try in Canada here. There is a company in British Columbia called Canadian Hi-Performance and with the exchange rate you might get a good deal on that crank. Below is contact info:

Canadian Hi-Performance
1504 Lyon St.
Prince George, British Columbia
Canada
V2N 1T2

1-800-663-8228
(250) 563-9338
fax (250) 563-9339

www.hi-performance.com

Give them a try and let me know how you make out.
If they don't have it, I may have some contacts in Ontario, Canada
that do.
Good Luck
BatFromHell
+Quote Post
LvSteveH
post Apr 8 2005, 01:52 AM
Post #5

I put the Poor in Porsche

Member No.: 600

You might check into Lunati, part #AD111DN has a 3.0" stroke. I'm sure it's not cheap though. $1589

I think modern forged cranks would be considerably stronger than those 30+ years old.

Cola cranks also has a nice short stroke custom crank @ www.colaperformance.com all 4340 and made in USA

COLA Pro-Series
(COLS Series) $795.00

Two (2) Lightening Holes in Front and Rear Journals
Factory Direct Oiling System
Surface Gas Nitrated to 60 Rc
Core Heat-Treated to 36/38 Rc
2.700” - 4.000” Stroke
350 / 400 Main Sizes
5.7”/ 6.0” Rod Lengths
Approximately 55 lbs.

Cola make some really nice cranks, very high end stuff. Good Luck
+Quote Post
Verruckt
post Apr 8 2005, 06:04 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,348

Crower makes cranks too if i remember right. Also, chevy performance parts used to sell cranks in many congiurations, even had a raw forging. Dont know if they still do.

If you are trying to build some over-square rev happy monster, why not build a 377 (400 block 350 crank) and save yourself alot of green? 350 steel cranks are a dime a dozen.
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post Apr 8 2005, 08:49 AM
Post #7

Thanks for the replys Guys-

Bat : High performance in Canada does not have any creanks listed on their website. A lot of aftermarket accessories, including Eldabrock and Keith Black pistons... All prices are listed in US dollars, and seem to be the same as everybody else... If you have connections for cranks that are actually manufactured in Cananda, and would provide me the opppertunity to take advantage of the value of the dollar (ya right), please let me know -

Steve: Lunati makes great pieces - I agree with you that the modern forgings should be much stronger than the ones from the 60's.... However, I cannot justify spending $1000-$1500 on a crank. The cranks I referenced in my original post go on ebay for around $300.

Also, the Cola cranks, if they are 55lbs., are 15 lbs. heavier that the Bryants that I am looking at....

Verruckt: I have not check the Chevy High Performance division recently, but I don't think they have any 3" stroke cranks available...
As far as the 377, it would put out plenty of horse power, but remember this is going in a 914. I don't know how accurate this is, but the 400 blocks have a reputation of over heating. Add that to the challenges of cooling a SBC in the 914, and I have major concerns. There is also the detail of replacing the tranny every few thousand miles.... Please feel free to comment on the inaccuracies of any of my comments - (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

Thanks -
Thom
+Quote Post
nickg
post Apr 8 2005, 11:02 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 2,652

one thing to consider carefully on the nascar stuff is that when sold new, they are generally raw or only partially finished peices. i think there s a website called used raceparts.com or something like that. I got a stage 2 buick motor there when i had my gn's. i recall that the std nascar stuff is cheap used...really cheap, head everything. you can get whole motors for like 2500 sometimes and these are named builders like rcr or hendrick
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Apr 8 2005, 11:03 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169
Region Association: None

The 400s don't have an overheating problem if you use the right head gaskets and cylinder heads. 377s would be a great motor in a teener. Got a friend that is building a 352 usinga 400 block and a 302 crank. Should make no torque and great HP

Bryant makes some of the best crank shafts in the world. If it is a true Cup crankshaft then it will run the 1.8" Honda rod, which is great for HP and durability. If the guy selling the crankshaft is the guy I am thinking of he has a generous return policy. I haven't dealt with him yet but I will in the future I am sure. Buy the crank and have it Magnafluxed and X-rayed and you should be OK.

+Quote Post
BatFromHell
post Apr 8 2005, 01:19 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 3,890

Thom:
I will email you pages from their catalog.
They carry Scat and Eagle.
The catalog pages list the smallest SBC stroke
at 3.48" but I'm sure they can get a line on 3.00".
See if their 1-800 number works down there.
If it doesn't let me know and I will call them for
you and see what they have. I will also check
with some of my road race friends and see what
they have. Check SCCA website and their forum,
those Corvettes made by Pratt & Miller may have a stroke
around that length and maybe they can line you up with
a used one or where to find one. Here's their website.

http://prattmiller.com/
http://www.katechengines.com/ manufactures the C6 engine for Pratt & Miller. Prices are very reasonable.

Let me know how it works out.
Good Luck

Wow! It goes like a
"BatFromHell"
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 08:24 PM