Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New engine delivered, installation procedure
Elliot_Cannon
post Jun 20 2003, 11:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 480
Region Association: None

Hi,
I just picked up my engine from Fat Performance today. 2.2, dual webers and just a little more cam than stock (he said). The dyno print out says 147hp@5500 rpm. I think that might be optomistic but thats what it says. I'll be away for about 2 weeks and can't wait to get it installed. I need to know if anyone has experience installing an engine with the carbs still on the engine. Can you leave the carbs on or do they have to come off before you lift the engine into the car? It looks like a really tight fit to me. I've only had experience removing and not installing the engine. Thanks for your help.
Cheers, Elliot
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Jun 20 2003, 11:09 PM
Post #2

Shriveled member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 271
Region Association: None

Woohoo! Congrats on the new engine.

Keeps us posted... pics if you can.

Vrooom! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif)
+Quote Post
cha914
post Jun 20 2003, 11:13 PM
Post #3

MUSR 8 - 5lug conversion done wed - drive 500miles thrus

Group: Members
Member No.: 63

I installed my engine with carbs in place, you just have to get the car WAY up in the air, I think I had to use the 6ton jack stands at their full height. I also think that I kinda put the engine in at an angle (kinda weave the carbs between the axels and engine mounts) and then straightened it as I got it closer to position.

If I had it to do again (which I probably will) I would use my buddies lift...Lift car to 10feet off ground, slide engine/tranny under on a metal cart, lower car, and mount everything up...

anyway, good luck, be sure to have someone help you with the car that high up in the air, and use good jacks/stands...

HTH,

Tony
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jun 20 2003, 11:25 PM
Post #4

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

'Grats on the mill.

IIWM, I'd just pull the carbs. Piece a cake. Better safe than sorry and it will make moving that motor around and up into the bay easier.
+Quote Post
thesey914
post Jun 21 2003, 04:51 AM
Post #5

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 66

I agree, It only takes half an hour to remove the carbs and manifolds etc and its a lot easier to slide the engine under the car without fouling the driveshafts/C.V.
You have to get the rear wheels higher than a metre to fit it with carbs still attached.......that makes me kind of nervous.
147hp sounds like a nice amount of power, is that 66x103?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 02:21 PM