Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How thick do my spacers need to be?, Trying to fit some 9.5" wheels on rear
914_1.8t
post Apr 8 2005, 10:38 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,149

I've got a set of 8.5" Front/9.5" Rearwheels with 38mm offset. Can someone help me determine how thich of a spacer/adapter I will need to ensure that the inside of the wheel will clear. I think Mike did some calculation some time but I don't remember (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif)

The car does have flares so I think it should not hit the fender. Anyone out there running 9.5" with flares?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Apr 8 2005, 10:47 AM
Post #2

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

it will depend a lot on your tire section width. there's usually less clearance at full jounce, so - remove the roadwheel. using a jack on the trailing arm, raise the trailing arm as high as possible. when the whole side, or the whole back end are supported, that's as high as possible. measure the distance from the inner fender well to the mounting plane on the hub. that's how much clearance you have.

measure the distance from the mounting plane of the roadwheel to the outermost part of the tire. that's how much clearance you need.

repeat for the other side - not only are all these cars different, most aren't symmetrical...

add a bit for safety and to account for body roll.
+Quote Post
914_1.8t
post Apr 8 2005, 11:15 AM
Post #3

Thanks for the suggestion....sounds like a good way to check especially (as you mentioned) there may be deviances on each side.

I guess I can do a search to see what the offset and width on a stock wheel is and calculate the theoretical thickness that will be needed.

But I would still like to know if anyone is running 9.5" and the width of the tire they are using with them (in conjunction with the flairs).
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Apr 8 2005, 11:22 AM
Post #4

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

9,5 x what ?

15" ? 16" ? something else ?

it will make a difference ...
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Apr 8 2005, 11:26 AM
Post #5

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

all of my set of alloys (FUCHS, PEDRINI and MAHLE) all have 4 1/2" back space.
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Apr 8 2005, 11:30 AM
Post #6

neo life

Member No.: 159

Sonu,

You can go to tirerack.com and check their calculator or better yet ask there techs what will fit...
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 8 2005, 11:54 AM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Sonu,

You are going to want a spacer 1" thick on the rear....I have a set 1" thick adapters that we can use to mock up the wheels and see if that'll work for you.

I wouldn't run these on the street, but it'll be good enough for testing.

Let me know if you want me to bring them to work for you.
+Quote Post
ewdysar
post Apr 8 2005, 12:08 PM
Post #8

What happens here, stays here.

Member No.: 3,030

Most of the 911 Fuchs alloys have a 112mm backsize (I know about the others, this is a gross generalization (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) ) These will fit most 914's with stock rear suspension setups. This backsize is measured to the bead side of the wheel rim, but your tire sidewall should more than make up for the thickness of the lip (unless you're doing the lowrider thing that seems so popular in my neighborhood)

So about 4.5 inches from a straight edge across the backside of the rim to back of the rim center should fit. Any extra depth on your rims will need that difference in spacer thickness to give you the inner clearance. You might also want extra spacer for appearance, to fill the flares, GT flares probably won't need that with 9.5's.

Good luck and post pics when you're done... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

Eric
+Quote Post
914_1.8t
post Apr 8 2005, 12:47 PM
Post #9

Well....I have a set of 18x8.5/18x9.5 wheels with 5x112 pattern sitting around and am looking into getting adapters made that will also act as spacers to fit the 5x130 hubs. I figure this should be better than using adapters from 4 lug hubs. These would be my street wheels and if i'm going to run a AX or track event...i'll swap the Fuchs back on. I really like these wheels and feel bad they are just sitting there and want to put them to some good use...and figure they will fill in the flares nicely.

I've got 225x40 zr on the front now and 255/35zr on the back currently. I would like to keep the same tire size...perhaps bump the back to 265 or 275 with 30 or 35 series. The overall hight of this setup is ~24-25 inches.
+Quote Post
914_1.8t
post Apr 8 2005, 12:54 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (ewdysar @ Apr 8 2005, 10:08 AM)
Most of the 911 Fuchs alloys have a 112mm backsize (I know about the others, this is a gross generalization (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) ) These will fit most 914's with stock rear suspension setups. This backsize is measured to the bead side of the wheel rim, but your tire sidewall should more than make up for the thickness of the lip (unless you're doing the lowrider thing that seems so popular in my neighborhood)

So about 4.5 inches from a straight edge across the backside of the rim to back of the rim center should fit. Any extra depth on your rims will need that difference in spacer thickness to give you the inner clearance. You might also want extra spacer for appearance, to fill the flares, GT flares probably won't need that with 9.5's.

Good luck and post pics when you're done... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

Eric

If I stick with 255s (they are pretty much flush with the 9.5 rim and don't pop out), I'm calculating that my rim will require 6.5" of backside (if my calc are good). That would mean a 2" spacer. I guess i'll have measure the amount of space available when I get home (or get time) as using the 911 fuch may still leave a little bit of gap that I can use to decrease the spacer debpt.
+Quote Post
Bigbohr
post Apr 8 2005, 03:26 PM
Post #11

Superlurker

Member No.: 1,176

If you got 38mm offset on these 9.5 rims you may want to check that number.
I've got 275/40-17's on rims with 15mm offset and use a 6mm spacer. With 255's and 38mm offset, about 1" spacer should do as Mueller already mentioned.
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Apr 8 2005, 05:12 PM
Post #12

neo life

Member No.: 159

QUOTE (914_1.8t @ Apr 8 2005, 10:47 AM)
I have a set of 18x8.5/18x9.5 wheels with 5x112 pattern sitting around I really want to give these to Felix for his Benz.

Thanks Sonu! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Apr 8 2005, 08:07 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

after comparing calculations and other setups, I'd say you need 20mm spacers both front and rear
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 10:51 PM