Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pictures from Bremerton PCA AX, Little bit of sun, rain and hail?
DNHunt
post Jun 22 2003, 09:38 AM
Post #21

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Group: Members
Member No.: 598

Actually my daughter Sarah took all the action shots. She's 10. I have a heck of a time leading the cars with the digital camera. Must be the video games they play or something. I took several pictures of the cones and track and trees but the cars were either not in the shot or already gone. I quess I'm living in the present or something.

Actually, I went to ask questions and start planning how I want to prepare my car for next year. My car is very pleasant to drive on the street. As long as all 4 wheels are hooked up it goes where I want it. But, enter a turn too quickly and it oversteers really quick. Scarred the piss outa my son and I on a freeway on ramp at about 70 (No more showing off for the kid, wrong message and obviously dangerous). Old boat racing skills saved us I think (see below), since I didn't lift and drove out of it. It's a little different in a boat though, if you lift you see the sky then you get wet instead of seeing what you just passed for the second time. If you're lucky neither will hurt too much. Most of my suspension is original and I'm sure it's toast, so, this winter it's coming off and new stuff is going on (provided the wife doesn't object too strongly). Tires and wheels too, I'm saving all my pocket change.

I spent a couple of years racing boats when I was younger and I learned that the people who ran well had a real good idea what they wanted. First they got it safe, then they made one change at a time to get closer to their goal. Then, they tested and tested, then went on to something else when they were satisfied. I never got past safe so, I entertained the crowd and spent a lot of time fixing broken fiberglass and body parts. This time, even though it's only AX I intend to be safe first. So, I'm going to get rid of the bouncies and body lean, then do some DE and give it a try.

I was truely amazed by the way Chris Downy could run. His 1.7 was only about 2 seconds slower than Eric Fry's 6. In the picture up above you can see Eric setting up for a hard right. I spent a lot of time at that corner watching the 914's go through it. Eric was all muscle, the car stayed fairly flat but his line was not nearly as direct as Chris'. Downy looked like he was out for a Sunday drive (he was on Hoosiers by the way). He definitely took the closest line, really impressive. Chris Reale was on streets and it was obvious he suffered for it. Outside front would roll so he had a lot of weight moving around. Geoff car was in between, he says he needs new shocks so that must be the reason.

All in all, I didn't learn much except what's already been said here many times. The 914, especially the 4s, are momentum cars. It looks like flat is good (duh!). Let the car do the work with as little interference from the driver as possible (duh!). It looks like the biggest challenge is getting the front and rear going the same direction at the same time (again duh!) All this stuff is easy to see but I'm sure trying to do that is very hard. There's going to be quite a learning curve. Geoff says Chris Downy has been at it for a while. It shows. He can drive and his car goes where he points it

Dave
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jun 22 2003, 09:46 AM
Post #22

Aircooled Baby!

Group: Members
Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Yeah, Eric blasts from point to point on the course while Chris D floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee. People dog 1.7 cars all the time but this car is set up right and is so smooth it looks SLOW then you see the times he gets!

Geoff
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 12:33 AM