Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tranny side shift conversion.
Keith914
post Jul 17 2016, 08:43 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,948
Region Association: Southern California

When converting a '72 914 from tail to side shift tranny, are there any modifications required in the tunnel -- in particular increasing the size of the hole in the "cross brace" the rod passes through (looks like about 1 1/2 to 2 inches in diameter) approximately 9 inches from the shifter?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Jul 17 2016, 09:02 AM
Post #2

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Keith914 @ Jul 17 2016, 10:43 AM) *

When converting a '72 914 from tail to side shift tranny, are there any modifications required in the tunnel -- in particular increasing the size of the hole in the "cross brace" the rod passes through (looks like about 1 1/2 to 2 inches in diameter) approximately 9 inches from the shifter?

I've done this (and researched it a fair amount beforehand), and I don't think there are any tunnel mods required. You do (of course) have to change the bushing at the firewall (the one from Tangerine is great), but the tunnel itself and its innards should not require modification.

Basically you need everything from the shifter on back (rod, bushing, tranny, etc.) to be the side-shift version in addition to the later model engine support bar.
+Quote Post
Keith914
post Jul 17 2016, 09:38 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jul 17 2016, 08:02 AM) *

QUOTE(Keith914 @ Jul 17 2016, 10:43 AM) *

I've done this (and researched it a fair amount beforehand), and I don't think there are any tunnel mods required. You do (of course) have to change the bushing at the firewall (the one from Tangerine is great), but the tunnel itself and its innards should not require modification.

Basically you need everything from the shifter on back (rod, bushing, tranny, etc.) to be the side-shift version in addition to the later model engine support bar.

Thanks again for your prompt helpful response. I have all the Tangerine equipment (quality parts). Struggling to adjust the shift mechanism. The nylon ring and pinion have not worked for me -- turning the pinion is too stiff and it appears to skip on the ring rather, or the ring is slipping on the shaft.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Jul 17 2016, 10:00 AM
Post #4

I used both of those Tangerine parts (bushing and shift rod adjuster). They're excellent examples of engineering, but I also struggled for a bit to get everything where it needed to be and working. I don't think I had trouble get the adjuster to work, though.

You've got Chris' install and usage instructions, right? Maybe if you post some pics it might help explain what's going on...
+Quote Post
stugray
post Jul 17 2016, 11:19 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819
Region Association: None

I actually found that I DID have an interference inside the tunnel after converting.

I didnt think I did, but after another person on this forum posted that they were opening up the tunnel to expand the hole I decided to have a look.

I used a large hole saw to cut an access hole and found that the shift rod would rub on the side on the hole that the rod goes through.

I opened up the hole with a 90 degree grinding tool.

My car has a rennshifter so I dont know if that makes a difference.
Maybe the stock shifter doesnt have the interference.
+Quote Post
Keith914
post Jul 18 2016, 08:41 AM
Post #6

After moving the rods forward 1/3" and the shifter anti-clockwise 1/8" all gears are now functional. Car is now very drivable, but expect to make one more final adjustment after further "wear in".
Thanks for your advice.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Jul 18 2016, 09:19 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(Keith914 @ Jul 18 2016, 10:41 AM) *

anti-clockwise

Are you originally from the UK? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Glad it worked out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) Did you end up having to move anything about or enlarge anything in the tunnel?
+Quote Post
Keith914
post Jul 18 2016, 09:49 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jul 18 2016, 08:19 AM) *

anti-clockwise

Glad it worked out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) Did you end up having to move anything about or enlarge anything in the tunnel?

Not from UK, but from the "Camelot" country of Rhodesia -- left in 1959! Why do you ask?

Did not change anything in the tunnel. Think the rod is just touching the hole edge when in 4th gear -- will be part of my final adjustment anti-clockwise adjustment on the shifter/rod connection.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Jul 18 2016, 09:55 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(Keith914 @ Jul 18 2016, 11:49 AM) *

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jul 18 2016, 08:19 AM) *

anti-clockwise

Not from UK, but from the "Camelot" country of Rhodesia -- left in 1959! Why do you ask?

Did not change anything in the tunnel. Think the rod is just touching the hole edge when in 4th gear -- will be part of my final adjustment anti-clockwise adjustment on the shifter/rod connection.

Here in 'merica we say "counter-clockwise" (and our friends to the North, too). Yes, Rhodesia has gone the way of Camelot. Well, a belated "welcome" to you (nearly 60 years later), and glad it all worked out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jul 18 2016, 03:13 PM
Post #10

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Could be wrong but I think pelicanparts (and others) have a conversion bushing.
+Quote Post
Keith914
post Jul 18 2016, 03:20 PM
Post #11

moved the rods 1/4" further forward, total of some1/2" of the rear splines now outside of he UV joint coupling. Went for a test run, -- all good (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2024 - 12:26 AM