Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First Post: Disaster, crashed my '75 yesterday
Whitney Mic
post Jul 24 2016, 12:45 PM
Post #1

What sort of chicanery is this?

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,157
Region Association: None

I had hoped that my first post would be to show off the cool new sound system I hoped to put in, but life had other ideas.

As far as accidents go, it was good, everyone walked away okay. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Earlier, I had a case of food poisoning and was on the way home from the hospital (already a really fun Saturday), and didn't make it back... and because I was ill when I left for the hospital, I forgot my phone, so I can't post the grisly damage pics. I will update tomorrow with pics after I get a ride to the body shop where the car was towed after the accident.

I swerved to avoid deer around a corner on highway 9, instead, I hit a Jaguar parked on side of road. Almost no damage to the Jag, my front end is pretty well crumpled up. If the car isn't salvageable as a whole, I want to see that as much of it as possible can get put to use on other 914s.

The problem is that I am living in an apartment and don't have a place to store the car. If "totaled" I will need to sell it; if so, I really want to sell to someone with an interest in parting it out in the local to Santa Cruz/ San Francisco bay area.

If anyone local is interested, the car is a White '75, L-jet, 1.8 liter engine. I bought it from my brother (mechanical genius, he will be part of the team building the giant Tesla Coil at Burning Man in a month or so), who had updated to a stiffer suspension. I was not only upgrading the sound system, but was just starting to get after the always ready to attack rust monster, but I think the body parts not damaged in the accident are in fairly good shape. Doors, windows, rear trunk all fine. one of the rear Targa top latches snapped it's pin off, I think the right front fender is straight as well. The engine and tranny are well used, but serviceable. There are a lot of stock interior parts, some in better condition than others. Mostly in good shape except the seats and upper console, both of those are worn. I had been planning on getting replacements from 914 Rubber.

If anyone needs something from my car, you can email me. Once I have an idea of the damage, I can let you know if parts are available from the car. Also, anyone in the area that can help me make those decisions is welcome to contact me as well. I am out of my knowledge zone here, this was my first accident, and frankly, am not the best mechanic.

osyryousartis@me.com

Wish I had better news for my first post to the forum.

If my 914 is done, I will be looking for another one. I am very impressed by the way this one took the damage but kept me safe.

--Whitney Mic
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jrblackbox
post Jul 24 2016, 12:54 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 19,140

Wow! At least all ok, sucks tho as far as the teener.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Jul 24 2016, 02:06 PM
Post #3

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

glad you're ok. take it one step at a time...maybe yours will be easily repaired..
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Jul 24 2016, 02:45 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 19,670

What ever happens I hope you recover and figure out something for your Teener.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jul 24 2016, 03:27 PM
Post #5

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

How bad is the chassis? I could use one.
+Quote Post
Localboy808
post Jul 24 2016, 03:53 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 20,194

Horrible! Sorry to hear about your wreck. Glad you are ok though! I'll be in SF next weekend. Looking for a few parts. Might have some to
E to meet up if you have the car available. I'll shoot you an email. Best of luck to you.
+Quote Post
Whitney Mic
post Jul 24 2016, 04:12 PM
Post #7

Thanks for all the sympathetic replies.

I haven't even had a chance to take a close look at the car, I don't know whether it can be repaired. If I can repair, I will.

It will be a few days before I know, I haven't had a chance to do more than report the accident to the insurance co. Hopefully AAA will be as good as their word, and all will be well.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

When I have an idea what I will be doing with the car, I will post that here.

--Whitney Mic
+Quote Post
guywan914
post Jul 24 2016, 04:12 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 2,112

QUOTE(RobW @ Jul 24 2016, 01:27 PM) *

How bad is the chassis? I could use one.

I have one
+Quote Post
SHREK914
post Jul 24 2016, 04:35 PM
Post #9

members

Member No.: 15,755
Region Association: Northern California

Dang sorry to hear, but glad your ok! I live in Boulder Creek and have a red 914, I think I saw your car on 9 yesterday, is it white?
+Quote Post
wndsnd
post Jul 24 2016, 04:43 PM
Post #10

You wanted a horse, but got a goat. Nobody wants a goat....

Member No.: 14,124
Region Association: North East States

At least you have the impact bumpers. Maybe it will not be as bad as you think.

+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Jul 24 2016, 08:17 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Sad day. I think you need to post some photos and let the members chime in on the best way to approach the next step. What's the status of your insurance coverage? The
+Quote Post
Whitney Mic
post Jul 24 2016, 11:16 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(SHREK914 @ Jul 24 2016, 03:35 PM) *

Dang sorry to hear, but glad your ok! I live in Boulder Creek and have a red 914, I think I saw your car on 9 yesterday, is it white?

Mine has the black and white stripe on the doors with the thin - thick - thin stripe pattern and Porsche lettering over the white paint job. So if you saw that, then yeah, it was me. Halfway between Felton and Ben Lomond.

You may actually be the guy who can take a look at the car and tell me if it's worth salvage. In fact, the guy in the car I hit said he knows someone in the that has had and worked on 914's in the area. He was going to look the guy with the interest in teeners up for me.

As I said clumsily above, if I can't repair it, I want to sell to someone in the area that has the place and time to part it out, recover and sell all the vintage and working parts.

If mine is toast, I will also be looking for a '74 in the best condition I can afford, but hoping still I can have this one repaired, hopefully by someone who shares the love of 914s

I will be going up tomorrow to Ladd's Body and Towing in Felton to document the damage on my car. If you are interested in anything to do with the car, you can email me, and maybe we can meet up some time. If you have no time tomorrow then some time in the near future, down in SC.

I am still processing what all happened yesterday, and have no idea when I will know the extent of the damages. I don't want to leave that up to the insurance adjuster, either, I want the eyes of someone with knowledge of my type of car to help make a decision.

I'd be willing to pay something for that kind of help, you know?

-- Whit
+Quote Post
Whitney Mic
post Jul 24 2016, 11:24 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jul 24 2016, 07:17 PM) *

Sad day. I think you need to post some photos and let the members chime in on the best way to approach the next step. What's the status of your insurance coverage? The

I think I will be okay:

I am paid up with AAA through March 17, 2017. My first accident at fault in 40+ years of driving, the only other accident I've been involved with was a bookend to this one, about six years ago I had a '93 Honda Civic get creamed while parked in the public parking garage by my place. I wasn't in the car at the time, so AAA wasn't even involved in that settlement (I have a few words I could use to describe the experience I had with Farmers Insurance Company, but I don't want to get banned on my first day at the forum).

Once I get up to the body shop, I will post some pics. It's pretty bad, though.

Once again, thanks to everyone for the kind words and sympathy. Been kind of depressed today, and you all have helped a lot.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) , and well met!

-- Whit
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jul 25 2016, 09:35 AM
Post #14

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829

sorry man! but you swerved to miss a deer and hit a parked car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) glad your ok but god damn....thats almost as bad as hitting the brakes for a duck ROB .no wait its worse you actually crashed...glad your ok hope you learned something from it
Mike (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Whitney Mic
post Jul 25 2016, 09:48 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(6freak @ Jul 25 2016, 08:35 AM) *

sorry man! but you swerved to miss a deer and hit a parked car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) glad your ok but god damn....thats almost as bad as hitting the brakes for a duck ROB .no wait its worse you actually crashed...glad your ok hope you learned something from it

I could have been a lot worse off if the deer decided to jump in front of the car as I passed. I've seen pics of moose through windshields in accidents that killed the driver; maybe over cautious, but I figure the mass of my car is enough smaller that if I hit the deer, I could end up the same way.

Safer to bang a nice wide bumper with mine than risk a skittish deer jumping the wrong way at the right moment...

But yeah, I can see your point...

I would much rather have hit a duck, and I like ducks...

--Whit
+Quote Post
green914
post Jul 25 2016, 10:08 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 12,874
Region Association: Northern California

Glad you are okay ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Whitney Mic
post Jul 25 2016, 08:55 PM
Post #17

Hi, time to update, I guess.

Dealing with the insurance company is as much fun as you'd imagine...won't go into all the details, but missed the first call from the adjuster, and left several messages that were not returned.

Finally called and talked to another agent, and was able to rent a car at about 5:45 this afternoon, minutes before the rental place closed.

The body shop yard closed at 5:00, so I have to wait until tomorrow to get pics of the damage and recover the tools and stuff I don't want to leave in the car.

The good news is that the tow company is also a body shop bonded by AAA, so if the car can be repaired there, I will have a lifetime guarantee on the work. I just want to be sure the guy looking it over realizes I know there are some nice parts on the beast.

I will have to check with my brother, but I think the set of rims alone are worth $1,000 to $2,000.

I will be sure to get pics of those for identification as I don't know what they are, but know he spent some good money on them. At least three of them should be fine; fingers crossed on the driver side front wheel...

Stay tuned campers, my triage pics will be up tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks again for all the kind words and for the hearty welcome.

-- Whit
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jul 26 2016, 07:12 AM
Post #18

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829

QUOTE(Whitney Mic @ Jul 25 2016, 08:48 AM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Jul 25 2016, 08:35 AM) *

I could have been a lot worse off if the deer decided to jump in front of the car as I passed. I've seen pics of moose through windshields in accidents that killed the driver; maybe over cautious, but I figure the mass of my car is enough smaller that if I hit the deer, I could end up the same way.

Safer to bang a nice wide bumper with mine than risk a skittish deer jumping the wrong way at the right moment...

But yeah, I can see your point...

I would much rather have hit a duck, and I like ducks...

--Whit

I can see your point as well! scary either way,,,but you dont have to pay for the deer...good luck
MikeC
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Jul 26 2016, 08:24 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 19,670

Had one a few years ago where when the car hit the deer it flipped the animal and sent it feet first through the front windscreen.

This severely injured the deer but did not kill it, so it layed there on the hood and dashboard flailing and kicking the driver and passenger in their faces with its hoves.

Life is dangerous.

Glad your Ok.

+Quote Post
Whitney Mic
post Jul 26 2016, 09:36 PM
Post #20

Well, I went up and took a look at the car this afternoon.

Thanks to Shrek for coming down from Boulder Creek to confirm my suspicions. In my situation, I will not be able to repair the car. I live in an apartment, and parked the Teener in the public garage next door. The body inside the fender was heavily impacted. The body shop expert said he could see $10,000 cost in parts, and it would need a donor car for the replacement metal. He doesn't work on or even try to assess vintage cars; he said he would tell AAA "the right things" to help me out and get a good evaluation by experts.

I only took a couple of pics, the car was already parked in tight at the back of the yard. I will have to figure out how to post them, I haven't opened a flickr account or anything. Thought I could just upload from the phone...

So the rest of the car is something nice. Shrek identified the rims as Fuch 2.0's. The interior is well worn -- roll bar vinyl was cracked -- the stock Blaupunkt is missing one knob and the chrome outer ring but is there. All very stock and not messed with except the face of the center console unit, which has a couple of extra holes drilled for switches.

So I have no idea when the experts will be out to look at the car. I don't even have all of my stuff out, as I couldn't get the doors open as parked. I can't even post pics here, and need to get better ones of the parts I know people want to have.

What I can do is send my pics by email to anyone intersted who has the ability to move the car and wants to make some profit from parting out the car. You would have to be ready to transport the car on fairly short notice once the insurance company decides it has been totaled.

If someone wants to buy the car at that point, I would have to buy back the car from AAA and then be liable for storage until it has been moved.

I hate to admit this, but I would have to sell for salvage if I can't find someone to buy.

I also probably shouldn't say this to potential buyers, but I would take a loss on the car to see the parts in good hands again...

So let me know if any of you folks can take advantage of my crisis to make something good happen here.

-- Whit
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:47 AM