Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How I got 914 hooked!, It's my High School Sweetheart's Fault
oakdalecurtis
post Jul 24 2016, 06:55 PM
Post #1

Oakdalecurtis

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

When I was in High School, I started dating my wife of 39 years. My car was a Ford Pinto, and even then we called it the "blow up car", knowing that if we were ever rear ended, the cars were known to become roman candles. I was mowing my neighbor's lawn one afternoon, and he approached me and asked if I was going to the school prom soon with my girlfriend. When I told him I was, he informed me that it just wasn't right to take her on this big date in a Pinto. He had just purchased a new silver 914 and he offered it to me to use to take her to the dance! I couldn't believe it, and neither could she when I pulled up in this little racy Porsche to take her out for the big night!. My generous neighbor continued to let me use the 914 whenever I had a significant date night, and I will be forever grateful to him. After we were married, my wife and I always said that whenever we had a little extra coin someday, we would pick up a 914. We finally made it financially, and my wife and son went out and bought a nice yellow one and surprised me with it! When I told my friends that my wife bought my 914 for me, they asked where they could get one. I said "A car like this?". And they said "No, we can get the car anywhere, we want to know where to get a wife that will buy us a sports car!". Good luck, she's pretty special. I'm not so sure I would lend out my 914 today to some punk 16 year old kid like I was then! My neighbor was one of my heroes!Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jrblackbox
post Jul 24 2016, 07:11 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 19,140
Region Association: None

Sweet!!
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jul 24 2016, 07:18 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

The good ole days when life was simple. Seems you have been blessed.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Jul 24 2016, 07:46 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

Cool story. I probably couldn't have been trusted to not race the piss out of it as soon as I drove it around the corner.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Jul 24 2016, 09:23 PM
Post #5

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif) your wife......
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jul 24 2016, 10:09 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

She's a keeper for sure. Congrats on finally fulfilling that dream. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) . Good to have you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jul 24 2016, 10:40 PM
Post #7

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Awesome neighbor. Awesome wife. Awesome story!

--DD
+Quote Post
napasteve
post Jul 24 2016, 10:51 PM
Post #8

914 driving winemaker

Member No.: 15,327

Curtis, that's a great story. Thanks for sharing.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jul 24 2016, 11:15 PM
Post #9

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81

Special indeed. I pass through Oakdale every now and then and will keep an eye open for you!
+Quote Post
green914
post Jul 25 2016, 10:21 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 12,874

Great story! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Your wife is a keeper for sure.
+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Jul 25 2016, 11:39 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 373
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Thanks for sharing - great story.
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Jul 25 2016, 12:09 PM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.governmentalwaysfails.com-12234-1469470143.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Jul 25 2016, 01:22 PM
Post #13

Oakdalecurtis

I appreciate all your kind comments, just thought I'd show you why I stay happily married to her!Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jul 25 2016, 01:27 PM
Post #14

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

Great story Curtis!

I wasn't so lucky as to have a neighbor lend me a nice car of any type for Senior Prom, etc., but was glad to at least have my own car - a used `68 Opel Kadett B 2DR Notchback Coupe which I'd saved up for & bought a few months earlier, in Fall `69.

As a former Pinto owner, you may appreciate another sort of "rear ending" problem which a couple of female cousins of a friend "ran into" in Texas decades ago.

Apparently the gals were driving on a country 2-laner through soem open Texas ranch land & had forgotten to check the fuel level before going off the main roads with stations miles back. So they sat parked on the side of the road waiting for some friendly rancher to come by to assist them.

Apparently one of the larger Bulls in the nearby range spotted the Pinto, & took a liking to it, coming over, "mounting it" from the rear & having his way with the poor disabled Pinto! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

The gals were scared s-less & stayed in the car windows up, for hours in the sweltering heat, until a friendly neighbor drove up in a pick-em-up truck to help them out, & asked them what the problem was & why they had their winders up!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

The gals explained - & after a half hour or so of rolling on the ground in raucus gut-splitting laughter, the fellow took them both to get enough gas to get them back to the nearest station. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Of course when then finally got to their relatives' ranch, they got similar reactions, as well as the expected run of jokes, including my favorite: "that ".... the Bull's buddies must've put him up to it, that he couldn't possibly mate with a Filly!" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

They & their whole family get a huge kick out of that story decades later.

I've never met my friend's cousins, but would love to hear their story first hand, then use that & a few other choice ones to "liven up the party"!

Get yourselves involved in the Bay Area 914 crowd & PCA gatherings, events & drives, so you can enjoy your new toy with others of like mind. I think they still do a 914 breakfast gathering from time to time, & you'll see them announced on here.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jul 25 2016, 01:29 PM
Post #15

TMI....

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jul 25 2016, 12:22 PM) *

I appreciate all your kind comments, just thought I'd show you why I stay happily married to her!Attached Image

Yeah, & she's definitely sending you a warning message about your "sensitive parts" with her right hand, if you don't ..... aside from the weapon! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Jul 25 2016, 01:45 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755
Region Association: None

Never seen a Saltine with a 223 through it , that's what I call proper gun control (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
You don't need to hear my whole story on getting hooked on 914 ...just a bitchin car to buy (new) in 1974, and modify for the next 42 years (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
Marty
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Jul 25 2016, 03:05 PM
Post #17

Oakdalecurtis

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jul 25 2016, 12:45 PM) *

Never seen a Saltine with a 223 through it , that's what I call proper gun control (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
You don't need to hear my whole story on getting hooked on 914 ...just a bitchin car to buy (new) in 1974, and modify for the next 42 years (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
Marty

Hey Tom, I wondered if anyone would make that connection! Didn't take long.
And Marty, that's just a Ruger SR22, not a .223. If the crackers have any moisture in them, they don't break. But Annie is a crack shot, pity the fool that puts her to the test! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) java script:emoticon(':shoot2kill:','smid_48')
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Jul 25 2016, 04:43 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438
Region Association: South East States

I was 24 hours later for my first date with my wife of 23-years because my 914 broke down. I figured this was the type of ass kicking you shouldn't "phone in" so I went to explain in person.

Well that 914 went away and after 20 years of marriage she let me buy another 914 and spend way more money on it than it will ever be worth. Oh did I mention she is a good shot as well?
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jul 25 2016, 05:38 PM
Post #19

TMI....

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jul 25 2016, 02:05 PM) *

Curtis,

We're all basically "warped" to be into 914s & want to hang onto them for 41+ years, so it wasn't a huge leap!

Now we're all wondering if she's named after Annie Oakly, being a cracker shot!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Tell Annie the Pinto story, she'll probably get a giggle out of it too!

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Jul 25 2016, 06:19 PM
Post #20

Oakdalecurtis

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 25 2016, 04:38 PM) *

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jul 25 2016, 02:05 PM) *

Curtis,

We're all basically "warped" to be into 914s & want to hang onto them for 41+ years, so it wasn't a huge leap!

Now we're all wondering if she's named after Annie Oakly, being a cracker shot!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Tell Annie the Pinto story, she'll probably get a giggle out of it too!

Tom
///////

Not named after Annie Oakley, but I taught her to shoot and her eyes are better than mine, good student! She knows all my stories inside and out, was involved with most of them! She said once that she never got in trouble till she started dating me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:47 AM