Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: brake bleeding on newer ABS cars, what's your take?
draganc
post Jul 25 2016, 10:59 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,000
Region Association: North East States

Hi folks!

Just curious what the group's opinion is on changing/bleeding brake fluid on newer street driven cars (i.e. CLK500 @2000mls/year) with ABS:

1) Yes, every 2 years or

2) I have never done it and my car drives just fine

Also, how much different is the work with ABS, compare to our 914s?

Just trying to get some education before talking to my "new" car mechanic.

Thanks, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
dc

PS: I know this topic/questions will be opinionated.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Catorse
post Jul 25 2016, 11:57 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 19,106
Region Association: Southwest Region

Although most of us don't do it, brake fluid should be changed every couple years on EVERY car. So this piece remains the same.

I have many rides, some have ABS including two other Porsches. They bleed identically to any other non ABS equipped car. I have been bleeding ABS brakes for 20+ years, since there were ABS brakes basically.

Sure, the dealers have plug in gizmos that activate the ABS and cycle the pump, but there is a good work around to this. Bleed the car, take it for a spin, activate the ABS a couple times at low speeds (i.e. panic stops), then go back and bleed it again. The second time it will only have a couple bubbles.

No hay problema!
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jul 25 2016, 12:25 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Since it appears to be a street car the answer would be yes, you could do it. At 2000 miles I wouldn't bother unless there was an issue. A friend of mine who tracks his M-car has had major issues properly bleeding the system - this is largely a track car and eventually he (right now actually) just broke down and paid the man when it wouldn't bleed correctly. The ABS module had to be cycled and he had no way of inducing that himself.

T
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jul 25 2016, 12:45 PM
Post #4

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Brake fluid absorbs water so yes it needs changed. I wait until I do brakes.

Mark where the level is before if you are not putting in all new pads and rotors. It's a balanced system, if you "top it off" it will leak out and eat paint later when you push the cylinders back in to fit new meaty pads.

ABS cars are a PITA. With a 914 or other non ABS car you can use a vacuum or pressure bleeder making it a 1 person job. ABS needs either a pedal pusher or dealer electronics.

Side note- if it says you need dealer electronics you might just need a pedal pusher, as being a dealer tech is a solo job.
+Quote Post
Racer
post Jul 25 2016, 05:52 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

At 2K miles a year, you fluid is doing a lot of sitting. Moisture (which brake fluid absorbs) will settle and could cause rust issues (inside calipers, master cylinder, ABS module).

Get it flushed every 2 years - your manual may have both time or mileage intervals, but most say 2 years.

+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jul 25 2016, 08:22 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jul 25 2016, 12:45 PM) *

Brake fluid absorbs water so yes it needs changed. I wait until I do brakes.

Mark where the level is before if you are not putting in all new pads and rotors. It's a balanced system, if you "top it off" it will leak out and eat paint later when you push the cylinders back in to fit new meaty pads.

ABS cars are a PITA. With a 914 or other non ABS car you can use a vacuum or pressure bleeder making it a 1 person job. ABS needs either a pedal pusher or dealer electronics.

Side note- if it says you need dealer electronics you might just need a pedal pusher, as being a dealer tech is a solo job.

Chris, do you ever do the gravity bleed system? I found the vacuum systems work okay to an extent but I'd top off the system, open the r.r. bleeder and let it flow until the M/C level dropped considerably. All of this after I sucked the reservoir empty, cleaned it out and replaced with clean fluid, then started the gravity procedure. Then closed the r.r. and proceeded around the car in the correct sequence. This way I could do other work on the car or another car without babysitting the vacuum bleeder... saved me time and made me money!
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Jul 25 2016, 09:49 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I was doing an engine swap on the step daughters 2005 Hyundai. I had to take it to a shop. When air gets in the abs, you need to be able to turn the abs pump on to bleed the brakes. It only cost $80, but that was after I spent hours having people pump the peddle.
+Quote Post
zambezi
post Jul 26 2016, 11:44 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 8,920
Region Association: South East States

Generally if you are just doing a fluid flush, then it is no different than a non-ABS car. If replacing components and air gets trapped in, then you may (not always) need special equipment to activate certain circuits of the ABS system to properly bleed.
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Jul 26 2016, 12:17 PM
Post #9

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

QUOTE(zambezi @ Jul 26 2016, 01:44 PM) *

Generally if you are just doing a fluid flush, then it is no different than a non-ABS car. If replacing components and air gets trapped in, then you may (not always) need special equipment to activate certain circuits of the ABS system to properly bleed.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
draganc
post Jul 29 2016, 07:39 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 11,000
Region Association: North East States

thanks for all the feedback!

I spoke to my local MB indy guy and they charge a flat rate of $100 for the change.
i'll just let them do it und use the spare time to work on my teener. that's a win-win.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:04 PM