Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> /6 oil drip, Engine teardown?
wndsrfr
post Jul 26 2016, 01:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Nagging drip from just under the cylinder head...about one drop per minute. What's the fix, or just keep driving it like I stole it?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jul 26 2016, 03:17 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Could be a couple of things like head to cylinder seal indicating pulled head stud or could be wicking from another area like rocker shafts but pretty unlikely, Could also be a leak from something on top side of the engine but it looks more like cylinder to head weaping to me which could mean nothing. My 964 did that for years.
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Jul 26 2016, 03:26 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

what is the story on the engine?? stock?? rebuilt?? mag cases?? case savers?? Mods?? From your byline, is it the 2.7 RS spec motor?? Looks like aluminum cylinders.

There is no gasket at the head to cylinder seal. Some engines were built with a "fire ring" compression seal. Most 2.7 builds probably have them.... but all bets are off if the head studs are pulling. Once they pull, you lose the head to cylinder clamping pressure and seal no workee.

That would be my guess here.

The only way to know is to pull the rocker covers and see if the head studs will hold torque. (might be able to do it in the car but I don't know and it would be a serious PITA). If they hold torque, you could drive on until they loosen again. If they do not - complete tear down is the only real fix. $$$$

If studs are pulling, continued driving is possible, but the sealing surface of the head will be getting beat up, requiring more machine work when you finally get it fixed.

I guess this is why some do not screw with mag case motors. Good luck
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Jul 26 2016, 06:04 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Jul 26 2016, 01:26 PM) *

what is the story on the engine?? stock?? rebuilt?? mag cases?? case savers?? Mods?? From your byline, is it the 2.7 RS spec motor?? Looks like aluminum cylinders.

There is no gasket at the head to cylinder seal. Some engines were built with a "fire ring" compression seal. Most 2.7 builds probably have them.... but all bets are off if the head studs are pulling. Once they pull, you lose the head to cylinder clamping pressure and seal no workee.

That would be my guess here.

The only way to know is to pull the rocker covers and see if the head studs will hold torque. (might be able to do it in the car but I don't know and it would be a serious PITA). If they hold torque, you could drive on until they loosen again. If they do not - complete tear down is the only real fix. $$$$

If studs are pulling, continued driving is possible, but the sealing surface of the head will be getting beat up, requiring more machine work when you finally get it fixed.

I guess this is why some do not screw with mag case motors. Good luck

Yep, it's the 2.7 mag case. That said, it was properly done with case savers & Nickies. Top of the engine is dry. Three cylinders are showing some weeping right at the junction of cylinder to head. Guess I'll have to check torque holding capacity when I drop the engine next month....
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Jul 27 2016, 11:38 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

With good case savers it should pull and hold good torque. Wonder what head studs are in there?? You would think with nickies and all that the head studs are premium also.

Good luck and let us know what you find
+Quote Post
toolguy
post Jul 27 2016, 12:47 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 12,889
Region Association: Southern California

Looks like it's been doing it for a while. . . Interesting , as in puzzling, place to have an oil leak. . think about it. . doesn't seem like that much oil would come from the combustion chamber as in a bad head to cylinder seal, and I'd think you have a nasty compression leak noise. . If it were rocker shafts, the drip would be from the bottom of the cam towers or valve covers and probably not as fast as a drop a minute. . If it was a cylinder base gasket, or an upper case leak, it would come down the case. . . If it was the oil cooler you'd expect more of a leak under it. .

Have you looked at the thermostat seal, oil pressure sender seal or the breather hose / gaskets since the leak is at the rear drivers side as this sounds like a pressure leak or seep .
next thing is to pull the fiberglass cooling shroud and take a look at the case top. . . . Pita job in the car. . Time wise may be better to drop the motor if you eliminate top side gaskets and seals.

Wild ass guess if you eliminate gaskets is bad piston /cylinder / rings or valve guides as well as weak head to cylinder seal. . How else would that much oil get into the cylinder but I'd think it would run like crap if that was the case.. .

Does it only drip when running?? Have you cleaned everything off and watched it leak??
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jul 27 2016, 12:49 PM
Post #7

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

looks an compression leak and oil leak.....air injector plug , leaky head sealing and or casting flaw behind oil cooler and or seals,,see pic.

Just because it may have case savers the block needs to be decked, heads surfaced and possibly even cylinder tops ,,,or it will still leak..

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Jul 27 2016, 12:51 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 116
Region Association: None

What Toolguy says. Check the breather, oil Pressure sender, thermostat aka triangle of death leaks.
+Quote Post
Catorse
post Jul 27 2016, 01:13 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 19,106
Region Association: Southwest Region

Were the heads retorqued after 1000 miles? Are you certain the sealing ring was put in on that particular cylinder? 2.7s most definitely have a sealing ring, and most definitely need one!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:22 AM