Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Modesto Bee's 2006 "Car of the Year" Winner!, Thanks to this site's members!
oakdalecurtis
post Jul 27 2016, 04:44 PM
Post #1

Oakdalecurtis

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

The Modesto Bee newspaper used to run a weekly half page article about local custom cars. Modesto is the town that was the basis for the movie "American Graffiti", so custom cars are a big thing here. A Bee reporter did one of the weekly stories about my '76 914. The story related how long ago, when I was in high school, one of my neighbors that owned a 914 would lend it to me to drive whenever I was going to take my "now wife" out on big dates. Once each year, the Bee would post a single page of small pictures showing all fifty cars featured from that year. Readers were then invited to vote online as many times as they wanted to for their choice for the "Car of the Year" award. Somehow my teener won easily, but I didn't really know why until years later. I was looking at old forum posts on this site and discovered that my fellow 914 owners here were instrumental in the victory! Here's a link to the old forum page where members are talking about voting as many as 22 times for my car! (Thanks grasshopper!).

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=50967

When the Bee called and told me that my 914 had won, they instructed me to show up on the next Saturday to be featured at the annual Modesto Jr. College Car Show. I had never participated in a car show before. My teener is a nice clean driver, but I had never considered it a "show car". When I arrived early that next Saturday, the car show operators guided me into the "front and center" space designated for the Car of the Year winner. Parked on one side of my 914 was the second place car, a mint trailer queen '71 Mustang Mach 1. Parked on the other side of my 914 was the third place car, a show prepped Austin FX that was so clean that you could have dined off of the engine. I still remember, like it was yesterday, the attitude of the two owners of those second and third place cars as they paced around my first place "street legal go cart". They both had their noses out of joint as they peered down at my knee high 914, and I could hear them mumbling something to the effect of "how the heck did that car beat our beautiful show cars?". It wasn't hard to discern the obvious disdain in their voices, but I just told them that "the people have made their choice, too bad!" Thank you to any of my fellow members here that voted for my 914 for the Car of the Year award and for giving me an unforgettable day at that car show! Teeners Rule!
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jul 27 2016, 06:31 PM
Post #2

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jul 27 2016, 05:44 PM) *

The Modesto Bee newspaper used to run a weekly half page article about local custom cars. Modesto is the town that was the basis for the movie "American Graffiti", so custom cars are a big thing here. A Bee reporter did one of the weekly stories about my '76 914. The story related how long ago, when I was in high school, one of my neighbors that owned a 914 would lend it to me to drive whenever I was going to take my "now wife" out on big dates. Once each year, the Bee would post a single page of small pictures showing all fifty cars featured from that year. Readers were then invited to vote online as many times as they wanted to for their choice for the "Car of the Year" award. Somehow my teener won easily, but I didn't really know why until years later. I was looking at old forum posts on this site and discovered that my fellow 914 owners here were instrumental in the victory! Here's a link to the old forum page where members are talking about voting as many as 22 times for my car! (Thanks grasshopper!).

When the Bee called and told me that my 914 had won, they instructed me to show up on the next Saturday to be featured at the annual Modesto Jr. College Car Show. I had never participated in a car show before. My teener is a nice clean driver, but I had never considered it a "show car". When I arrived early that next Saturday, the car show operators guided me into the "front and center" space designated for the Car of the Year winner. Parked on one side of my 914 was the second place car, a mint trailer queen '71 Mustang Mach 1. Parked on the other side of my 914 was the third place car, a show prepped Austin FX that was so clean that you could have dined off of the engine. I still remember, like it was yesterday, the attitude of the two owners of those second and third place cars as they paced around my first place "street legal go cart". They both had their noses out of joint as they peered down at my knee high 914, and I could hear them mumbling something to the effect of "how the heck did that car beat our beautiful show cars?". It wasn't hard to discern the obvious disdain in their voices, but I just told them that "the people have made their choice, too bad!" Thank you to any of my fellow members here that voted for my 914 for the Car of the Year award and for giving me an unforgettable day at that car show! Teeners Rule!
Attached Image

Cool story! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Jul 27 2016, 06:42 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

Congrats....well deserved.
+Quote Post
orange914
post Jul 28 2016, 10:46 AM
Post #4

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Big Len @ Jul 27 2016, 04:42 PM) *

Congrats....well deserved.

Hi all and thank you.
It's been several years since I've even been on this site. Great 914 site!
Unfortunately we sold the car. About 4 years ago to a gentleman in Pennsylvania. I received a call from him several months ago asking if I was interested in buying before it went on the market. I would have if the situation would have aloud it.
Any one aware of it's present ownership or where abouts?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
orange914
post Jul 28 2016, 10:51 AM
Post #5

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jul 27 2016, 02:44 PM) *

Attached Image

Maybe I'll see your 914 sometime in Oakdale. I'm passing thru 2 x's a week in a White TDI Passat (yes VW)
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Jul 28 2016, 12:35 PM
Post #6

Oakdalecurtis

QUOTE(orange914 @ Jul 28 2016, 09:51 AM) *

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jul 27 2016, 02:44 PM) *

hey orange,

Attached Image

Maybe I'll see your 914 sometime in Oakdale. I'm passing thru 2 x's a week in a White TDI Passat (yes VW)

hey orange, if you're on your way down the hill from Sonora with a little extra time, call me and stop by to talk teeners. I live off Orangeblossom rd in east Oakdale, (209) 605-8456
+Quote Post
JoeDees
post Jul 28 2016, 02:32 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 18,106
Region Association: None

I love it when a driver beats a trailer queen!

+Quote Post
MartyYeoman
post Jul 28 2016, 03:01 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 839

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jul 28 2016, 11:35 AM) *

I live off Orangeblossom rd in east Oakdale, (209) 605-8456

I love that road! I often take it west from Knight's Ferry. Beautiful tree lined country road for sure. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Jul 28 2016, 05:46 PM
Post #9

Oakdalecurtis

QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Jul 28 2016, 02:01 PM) *

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jul 28 2016, 11:35 AM) *

I live off Orangeblossom rd in east Oakdale, (209) 605-8456

I love that road! I often take it west from Knight's Ferry. Beautiful tree lined country road for sure. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Going right by my place, call me next time you have a few for a drink and teener talk, Curtis (209) 605-8456
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 01:35 PM