Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> subaru cable shift
owen60657
post Jul 27 2016, 05:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,230
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I am new to this site and was hoping to find someone who still builds the Subaru cable shifter similar to the apparently now defunct cold water 914 setup or has DIY directions on how to build my own. Any reviews of the cableshift.com setup? Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks,
FNG
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 27 2016, 07:30 PM
Post #2

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(owen60657 @ Jul 27 2016, 04:53 PM) *

I am new to this site and was hoping to find someone who still builds the Subaru cable shifter similar to the apparently now defunct cold water 914 setup or has DIY directions on how to build my own. Any reviews of the cableshift.com setup? Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks,
FNG

It's in here somewhere. Probably about 1/2 way thru. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=201776&hl=
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Jul 27 2016, 08:23 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 18,779
Region Association: None

Im fairly certain that ian at cold water is still making them, in fact i bought one from him a couple months ago.
+Quote Post
owen60657
post Jul 28 2016, 10:21 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Jul 27 2016, 10:23 PM) *

Im fairly certain that ian at cold water is still making them, in fact i bought one from him a couple months ago.

I have called and emailed, yet to hear back. The website is still live.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 28 2016, 01:54 PM
Post #5

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Ian does this on the side. He has a full time job, a wife, and other things in life. He does a nice job when he finds the time and resources to do a run.

So this begs to question what are you building?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
owen60657
post Jul 28 2016, 06:58 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 28 2016, 03:54 PM) *

Ian does this on the side. He has a full time job, a wife, and other things in life. He does a nice job when he finds the time and resources to do a run.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I am at the very start of a new build, don't ban me but it is not a 914. I have a wrx transmission and a 63' Karmann Ghia shell that is pretty straight-but flawed enough were it is not complete sacrilege to break out the angle grinder and plasma cutter. I was originally going to do a traditional rear-engine subarugears swap with an ej25 but got an amazing deal on a low milage eg33 with wiring harness for practically free. Problem is I would have to cut most of the back of the car off to make it fit. So now I have gone into full mad scientist mode and am thinking why go rear when I can go mid engine? So I have cobbled together some plans for a new tube chassis based on some other peoples cars. The old chassis needed converted to IRS, needed the floor pans replaced and new brake/fuel lines ran, that plus the 2 grand the subarugears reverse ring and pinion cost make the cost of going mid-engine nearly a wash (or at least that is what I am telling my wife). Plus this way I can design it with coolant lines in mind.

My dad taught me how to do body work on a 74' 914 when I was a teenager, it was also the first engine I got to tear into. He also taught me the secret to transmissions is paying someone who knows what they are doing to do it for you. I remembered the 914 as being a popular subaru conversion car, some googling eventually led me to cold water 914 and then here, figuring instead of messing it up a few dozen times I might just seek out a professional solution.

I am married with a one-year-old so this is a long term project. Couple hours at night and on the weekends. My goal is to have it done for by summer 2018.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 28 2016, 07:04 PM
Post #7

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Cool.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jul 29 2016, 02:05 AM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(owen60657 @ Jul 28 2016, 06:58 PM) *

I am at the very start of a new build, don't ban me but it is not a 914. I have a wrx transmission and a 63' Karmann Ghia shell that is pretty straight-but flawed enough were it is not complete sacrilege to break out the angle grinder and plasma cutter. I was originally going to do a traditional rear-engine subarugears swap with an ej25 but got an amazing deal on a low milage eg33 with wiring harness for practically free. Problem is I would have to cut most of the back of the car off to make it fit. So now I have gone into full mad scientist mode and am thinking why go rear when I can go mid engine? So I have cobbled together some plans for a new tube chassis based on some other peoples cars. The old chassis needed converted to IRS, needed the floor pans replaced and new brake/fuel lines ran, that plus the 2 grand the subarugears reverse ring and pinion cost make the cost of going mid-engine nearly a wash (or at least that is what I am telling my wife). Plus this way I can design it with coolant lines in mind.

My dad taught me how to do body work on a 74' 914 when I was a teenager, it was also the first engine I got to tear into. He also taught me the secret to transmissions is paying someone who knows what they are doing to do it for you. I remembered the 914 as being a popular subaru conversion car, some googling eventually led me to cold water 914 and then here, figuring instead of messing it up a few dozen times I might just seek out a professional solution.

I am married with a one-year-old so this is a long term project. Couple hours at night and on the weekends. My goal is to have it done for by summer 2018.

If you're going mid engined, you don't need to do the reverse ring and pinion setup. The Subaru design is fine just the way it is for mid engine conversions - that's why it works for 914s.... unless I'm reading your post wrong.
+Quote Post
owen60657
post Jul 29 2016, 07:23 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jul 29 2016, 04:05 AM) *

QUOTE(owen60657 @ Jul 28 2016, 06:58 PM) *

If you're going mid engined, you don't need to do the reverse ring and pinion setup. The Subaru design is fine just the way it is for mid engine conversions - that's why it works for 914s.... unless I'm reading your post wrong.

That's what makes the extra fab work cost effective for me. I got the trans for scrap price from a buddy after helping him move. I don't know what Ian charges for just the cable shift set up but he seems to be very fairly priced on his other stuff. Chromoly prices have gotten ridiculous since the last time I bought some (late 90's) so as far as I can tell that will be my biggest expenditure-roughly what the reverse ring and pinion where going to cost depending on how fancy I want to get.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 29 2016, 08:33 AM
Post #10

Cool I love Ghia's my first real car was a Ghia!

So yes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)

We are a pretty welcoming place for odd ball builds.

So an EG33 Ghia hits pretty close to my heart. What you doing with the pan? I would be interested for my next build. And I will be switching to Mendola suspension. so let me know, that is if it is a complete pan. Hacked pan will do me know good.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 29 2016, 10:21 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I can probably get ahold of Ian for you. Got any pics of the upcoming build project? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
owen60657
post Jul 29 2016, 10:48 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 29 2016, 10:33 AM) *

So an EG33 Ghia hits pretty close to my heart. What you doing with the pan? I would be interested for my next build. And I will be switching to Mendola suspension. so let me know, that is if it is a complete pan. Hacked pan will do me know good.

I am at work right now but will add some pictures of what I am working with later.

If you are going Mendeola I am assuming you want to go subarugears as well? its the cheapest way to get a 5spd or even 6 speed that can handle modern hp/torque. The pan I have would then need new pans, fuel line ran, and be converted to IRS. no one thing is hard or even that expensive but when they all add up it is easier just to start with a later pan. But I will let you know when I pull it off. That should be in early to mid September.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 29 2016, 01:41 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(owen60657 @ Jul 29 2016, 12:48 PM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 29 2016, 10:33 AM) *

I am at work right now but will add some pictures of what I am working with later.

If you are going Mendeola I am assuming you want to go subarugears as well? its the cheapest way to get a 5spd or even 6 speed that can handle modern hp/torque. The pan I have would then need new pans, fuel line ran, and be converted to IRS. no one thing is hard or even that expensive but when they all add up it is easier just to start with a later pan. But I will let you know when I pull it off. That should be in early to mid September.

All true, but it is a Ghia pan which is slightly different than the other type 1 pans. And I can store a pan much easier than me dragging a hole car home, lol. That would come latter there is a lot of work to be done at the pan level, drive train, and engine.

Yes it would be a subbie swap, yes it will use an MT5 I have 3 of them. And it might be an EG33 though I will more than likely use an EZ if I can find one on the cheap. And well I am wanting it to be AWD (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) As I said lots of work to be done on the pan.
+Quote Post
owen60657
post Jul 29 2016, 02:16 PM
Post #14

Attached Image
Here is the shell I am working with.
+Quote Post
owen60657
post Jul 29 2016, 02:30 PM
Post #15

Attached Image
my inspiration
+Quote Post
owen60657
post Jul 29 2016, 02:31 PM
Post #16

and this Attached Image
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jul 30 2016, 03:02 AM
Post #17

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Have you checked out the Ice Scraper? Check out the YouTube video...
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 30 2016, 04:31 AM
Post #18

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Should have never sold my Ghia (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

And the phoned ails really make that car look good, never thought about phoned ails on a Ghia before.

Got to get my 914 done, So yes I am loving your car, would love to have the pan to build off of. Or haven forbid, you don't feel like doing the project, let me know, I will be glad to build a Ghia again.
+Quote Post
owen60657
post Jul 30 2016, 06:04 AM
Post #19

QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 30 2016, 06:31 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Should have never sold my Ghia (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

And the phoned ails really make that car look good, never thought about phoned ails on a Ghia before.

Got to get my 914 done, So yes I am loving your car, would love to have the pan to build off of. Or haven forbid, you don't feel like doing the project, let me know, I will be glad to build a Ghia again.

check out the Louisville craigslist, there is a pretty solid looking 71' for a grand. The later style lights but still get the towel bar bumpers. I do have an extra ghia, 64' its not pretty but would make a nice rat ride pretty easy, PO swapped out the metal pans for the fiberglass ones-which really isn't my thing. I was planning on trading it to a guy in chillicothe for a 71' vw panel van but he disappeared, got anything to trade?

I have a 5 of the 15x6 phone dial rims from the early 924s sitting in basement. Decided not use them so if any body wants a set plus spare let me know.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  GetAttachment_11.aspx.jpeg ( 9.68k ) Number of downloads: 29
+Quote Post
owen60657
post Jul 30 2016, 10:32 AM
Post #20

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jul 30 2016, 05:02 AM) *

Have you checked out the Ice Scraper? Check out the YouTube video...

I have, that is an great car. I have emailed back and forth with the Guy a few times for tips. That car was garbage before he got his hands on it, he really did a great job and is super friendly. I would like that stance but not static, I don't know how he does it-I would lose my mind with every pothole undoing the hours of body work. The one thing I would have done differently was opt for the subarugears set up, it mounts the engine 50mm higher which helps with the sump clearance issue some and eliminates the cost of the adapter kit to the vw trans.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:27 AM