Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> subaru cable shift
owen60657
post Jul 27 2016, 05:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,230
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I am new to this site and was hoping to find someone who still builds the Subaru cable shifter similar to the apparently now defunct cold water 914 setup or has DIY directions on how to build my own. Any reviews of the cableshift.com setup? Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks,
FNG
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
914forme
post Jul 28 2016, 01:54 PM
Post #2

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Ian does this on the side. He has a full time job, a wife, and other things in life. He does a nice job when he finds the time and resources to do a run.

So this begs to question what are you building?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
owen60657
post Jul 28 2016, 06:58 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 28 2016, 03:54 PM) *

Ian does this on the side. He has a full time job, a wife, and other things in life. He does a nice job when he finds the time and resources to do a run.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I am at the very start of a new build, don't ban me but it is not a 914. I have a wrx transmission and a 63' Karmann Ghia shell that is pretty straight-but flawed enough were it is not complete sacrilege to break out the angle grinder and plasma cutter. I was originally going to do a traditional rear-engine subarugears swap with an ej25 but got an amazing deal on a low milage eg33 with wiring harness for practically free. Problem is I would have to cut most of the back of the car off to make it fit. So now I have gone into full mad scientist mode and am thinking why go rear when I can go mid engine? So I have cobbled together some plans for a new tube chassis based on some other peoples cars. The old chassis needed converted to IRS, needed the floor pans replaced and new brake/fuel lines ran, that plus the 2 grand the subarugears reverse ring and pinion cost make the cost of going mid-engine nearly a wash (or at least that is what I am telling my wife). Plus this way I can design it with coolant lines in mind.

My dad taught me how to do body work on a 74' 914 when I was a teenager, it was also the first engine I got to tear into. He also taught me the secret to transmissions is paying someone who knows what they are doing to do it for you. I remembered the 914 as being a popular subaru conversion car, some googling eventually led me to cold water 914 and then here, figuring instead of messing it up a few dozen times I might just seek out a professional solution.

I am married with a one-year-old so this is a long term project. Couple hours at night and on the weekends. My goal is to have it done for by summer 2018.
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jul 29 2016, 02:05 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(owen60657 @ Jul 28 2016, 06:58 PM) *

I am at the very start of a new build, don't ban me but it is not a 914. I have a wrx transmission and a 63' Karmann Ghia shell that is pretty straight-but flawed enough were it is not complete sacrilege to break out the angle grinder and plasma cutter. I was originally going to do a traditional rear-engine subarugears swap with an ej25 but got an amazing deal on a low milage eg33 with wiring harness for practically free. Problem is I would have to cut most of the back of the car off to make it fit. So now I have gone into full mad scientist mode and am thinking why go rear when I can go mid engine? So I have cobbled together some plans for a new tube chassis based on some other peoples cars. The old chassis needed converted to IRS, needed the floor pans replaced and new brake/fuel lines ran, that plus the 2 grand the subarugears reverse ring and pinion cost make the cost of going mid-engine nearly a wash (or at least that is what I am telling my wife). Plus this way I can design it with coolant lines in mind.

My dad taught me how to do body work on a 74' 914 when I was a teenager, it was also the first engine I got to tear into. He also taught me the secret to transmissions is paying someone who knows what they are doing to do it for you. I remembered the 914 as being a popular subaru conversion car, some googling eventually led me to cold water 914 and then here, figuring instead of messing it up a few dozen times I might just seek out a professional solution.

I am married with a one-year-old so this is a long term project. Couple hours at night and on the weekends. My goal is to have it done for by summer 2018.

If you're going mid engined, you don't need to do the reverse ring and pinion setup. The Subaru design is fine just the way it is for mid engine conversions - that's why it works for 914s.... unless I'm reading your post wrong.
+Quote Post
owen60657
post Jul 29 2016, 07:23 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jul 29 2016, 04:05 AM) *

QUOTE(owen60657 @ Jul 28 2016, 06:58 PM) *

If you're going mid engined, you don't need to do the reverse ring and pinion setup. The Subaru design is fine just the way it is for mid engine conversions - that's why it works for 914s.... unless I'm reading your post wrong.

That's what makes the extra fab work cost effective for me. I got the trans for scrap price from a buddy after helping him move. I don't know what Ian charges for just the cable shift set up but he seems to be very fairly priced on his other stuff. Chromoly prices have gotten ridiculous since the last time I bought some (late 90's) so as far as I can tell that will be my biggest expenditure-roughly what the reverse ring and pinion where going to cost depending on how fancy I want to get.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
owen60657   subaru cable shift   Jul 27 2016, 05:53 PM
76-914   I am new to this site and was hoping to find some...   Jul 27 2016, 07:30 PM
tazz9924   Im fairly certain that ian at cold water is still ...   Jul 27 2016, 08:23 PM
owen60657   Im fairly certain that ian at cold water is still...   Jul 28 2016, 10:21 AM
914forme   :wttc: Ian does this on the side. He has a full...   Jul 28 2016, 01:54 PM
owen60657   :wttc: Ian does this on the side. He has a ful...   Jul 28 2016, 06:58 PM
mgp4591   :wttc: Ian does this on the side. He has a fu...   Jul 29 2016, 02:05 AM
owen60657   [quote name='owen60657' post='2377764' date='Jul ...   Jul 29 2016, 07:23 AM
mepstein   Cool. :wttc:   Jul 28 2016, 07:04 PM
914forme   Cool I love Ghia's my first real car was a Ghi...   Jul 29 2016, 08:33 AM
owen60657   Cool I love Ghia's my first real car was a Gh...   Jul 29 2016, 10:48 AM
914forme   Cool I love Ghia's my first real car was a G...   Jul 29 2016, 01:41 PM
Chris H.   I can probably get ahold of Ian for you. Got any ...   Jul 29 2016, 10:21 AM
owen60657   Here is the shell I am working with.   Jul 29 2016, 02:16 PM
owen60657   my inspiration   Jul 29 2016, 02:30 PM
owen60657   and this   Jul 29 2016, 02:31 PM
mgp4591   Have you checked out the Ice Scraper? Check out th...   Jul 30 2016, 03:02 AM
owen60657   Have you checked out the Ice Scraper? Check out t...   Jul 30 2016, 10:32 AM
914forme   :headbang: Should have never sold my Ghia :headba...   Jul 30 2016, 04:31 AM
owen60657   :headbang: Should have never sold my Ghia :headb...   Jul 30 2016, 06:04 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 02:06 AM