Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Whatever happened to flashing lights when you passed another Porsche?
Rsjg911
post Jul 28 2016, 01:55 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,105
Region Association: South East States

In the 1970's whenever I passed another Porsche going in the opposite direction we always flashed our lights. I especially though this was cool since I had a 914.

I still flash my lights, here in Florida, but rarely get a response. I know Porsche has many more models now but think we should resurrect this once not-so-secret hand shake we all enjoyed.

Thoughts? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Jul 28 2016, 02:04 PM
Post #2

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

...2nd,lights fist bump for sure! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Jul 28 2016, 02:05 PM
Post #3

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

In my town flashing your lights at on coming traffic means slow down you are coming up on a cop! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Jul 28 2016, 02:08 PM
Post #4

J is for Genius

Member No.: 16,629

What happened? Porsche SUV's owned by soccer moms who've never seen or heard of a 914. They're wondering why that weird tiny car with a trail of smoke behind it is flashing it's lights at them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Seriously though, I usually give a wave. Rarely get one back from modern Porsches. I usually get one back from other classic cars.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jul 28 2016, 02:12 PM
Post #5

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

It's the disconnect between the real Porsche enthusiasts, and those who just buy them because they have the money to own a "Porsh."
+Quote Post
amfab
post Jul 28 2016, 02:15 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 20,004

Seems like a practice that just sort of faded away after the air cooled cars ended. I think that the 996/997 boxer guys who do wave are those who used to be air-cooled
+Quote Post
johnhora
post Jul 28 2016, 03:08 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 107

It's not the 70s anymore (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) ....sorry to say these days you may get shot for such behavior (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jul 28 2016, 03:25 PM
Post #8

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Microsoft
+Quote Post
wndsnd
post Jul 28 2016, 03:27 PM
Post #9

You wanted a horse, but got a goat. Nobody wants a goat....

Member No.: 14,124
Region Association: North East States

I do not bother with the 914, thankful the doors open when I need them. However I do wave, rarely get an acknowledgement.
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Jul 28 2016, 04:01 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

Damm whippersnappers haven't flashed there lights at me since 1978, those millennials
can kiss my........ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 28 2016, 04:12 PM
Post #11

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Its interesting. The motorcycle community gives a nod or hand signal to pretty much every other motorcycle, regardless of what their driving (Unless its a scooter).

When I ride mine regularly its a solid 50% of bikes I run across will wave or wave me back
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jul 28 2016, 04:21 PM
Post #12

Cross Member

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 28 2016, 03:12 PM) *

Its interesting. The motorcycle community gives a nod or hand signal to pretty much every other motorcycle, regardless of what their driving (Unless its a scooter).

When I ride mine regularly its a solid 50% of bikes I run across will wave or wave me back

Same here. But you'll notice the different types of waves depending on the types of bikers. Some throw a couple fingers down low, some a wave up top or to the side. Interesting differences, but still in the family.
+Quote Post
Rsjg911
post Jul 28 2016, 04:38 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 28 2016, 06:12 PM) *

EXACTLY, Andy. That was my point. I understand that moms in Cayennes or Macans might not get it when you flash your lights but 911s, Caymans, Boxters and even Panamaras could get on board.

Yes, I am older now but after 45 years in the "club" I miss that aspect of comraderie and recognition that acknowledges we are both part of the same special team. Like nodding to someone as you walk by. That was one of the cool things about owning a Porsche back in the day.

I hope those reading this will start to wink at other Porsches, regardless of model. It might just catch on again and wouldn't that be cool?

And, BTW, I have owned a number of Porsches up to and including a Turbo Cab but I still LOVE driving my 914 and the attention it receives and the conversations it sparks.

Keep 'em On The Road!!!

Ron

+Quote Post
Rand
post Jul 28 2016, 04:42 PM
Post #14

Cross Member

Fellow teeners will always get it and share the wave. Solid camaraderie there. But don't expect the average Cayenne or Macan mom to ever get it. For those who do... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Rsjg911
post Jul 28 2016, 04:45 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 28 2016, 06:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 28 2016, 03:12 PM) *

Same here. But you'll notice the different types of waves depending on the types of bikers. Some throw a couple fingers down low, some a wave up top or to the side. Interesting differences, but still in the family.

Bump to Andy! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Rsjg911
post Jul 28 2016, 04:48 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(Coondog @ Jul 28 2016, 06:01 PM) *

Damm whippersnappers haven't flashed there lights at me since 1978, those millennials
can kiss my........ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Attached Image

Bump to Coondog! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
Guberif
post Jul 28 2016, 05:01 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 20,227
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jul 28 2016, 01:05 PM) *

In my town flashing your lights at on coming traffic means slow down you are coming up on a cop! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Same here with a bit of a variance in my town; flashing lights twice is a cop! Single flash is friend / fellow teener. Continious flashing is your in trouble period and pull over immediately - either you have something horribly wrong with your rig that stipulates an emergency to pull over -OR - you dumb jerk pull over so we can 'discuss' it.

Whatever happened to the semi's colored lights, before green was 'go' no cops, red was 'cop' don't see that too much anymore.
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Jul 28 2016, 05:33 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I had a BMW Bavaria back before the 3-series made them the preferred brand of yuppies. BMW owners also flashed their lights.

Back then brands like Porsche and BMW were enthusiasts cars and there was a bond between owners. Sorry to say that these days they are mostly self-indulgent status symbols and compensation for guys with small packages.
+Quote Post
green914
post Jul 28 2016, 05:40 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 12,874
Region Association: Northern California

I noticed many years ago that fellow Porsche drivers had stopped flashing their lights back; wouldn't mind if folks took up the practice again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
Dion
post Jul 28 2016, 05:44 PM
Post #20

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Jul 28 2016, 12:08 PM) *

What happened? Porsche SUV's owned by soccer moms who've never seen or heard of a 914. They're wondering why that weird tiny car with a trail of smoke behind it is flashing it's lights at them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Seriously though, I usually give a wave. Rarely get one back from modern Porsches. I usually get one back from other classic cars.

You nailed it! 100% agree
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:56 AM