Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Whatever happened to flashing lights when you passed another Porsche?
My 914
post Jul 29 2016, 07:38 PM
Post #41

Casual Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,928
Region Association: North East States

Here in Massachusetts, there are not a whole lot of Porsches around but I find that most drivers will nonetheless flash their lights, wave, or do both depending on how far away they are. 914's are a rare site and to be honest, I think that most younger Porsche owners don't even know what a 914 is, never mind what one looks like. I think that's the main reason that drivers of older Porsche models in general don't get any acknowledgment. The other reason is that most drivers are too distracted in their cars with modern technology and are not paying attention to other cars on the road. I always flash my lights when approaching or passing another Porsche and feel that its worthwhile to try to maintain this fading tradition.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
snakemain
post Jul 29 2016, 08:14 PM
Post #42

Ronin Member

Member No.: 11,232
Region Association: None

I wave at Jeeps when I'm in my Jeep...some wave back and some don't. I wave at motorcycles when I'm on my bike (BMW). Some wave back, and some are riding Harleys or crotch rockets. I wave at classics regardless bc I think they're cool. I rarely see another cool car when I'm in my 914, but lots of people look or wave and I generally acknowledge them...I generally don't get flipped off in my 914, and that's a good thing.
+Quote Post
RickS
post Jul 29 2016, 08:49 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 5,880

The local PCA monthly mag tells members to flash other P-cars. Either they are too busy playing with their nav, their Bose systems or trying to figure out what the $5000 Sport Chrono package does. Considering that many owners were born in the 90s and beyond, they don't have a clue what a flat little shoe box flashing their lights means, or what that flat little box is.

I find that older people in classic sports cars get it since they remember 914s back in the day.. They tend to wave or flash more than any new Porsche owner, which is about never. In my '82 911, at least I get about a 50% return rate from other 911 types, SUVs, not a chance in hell.
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Jul 29 2016, 10:40 PM
Post #44

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

When ever I flash, the young girl blush and the older ones just smile
+Quote Post
7TPorsh
post Jul 29 2016, 11:44 PM
Post #45

7T Porsh

Member No.: 5,782
Region Association: Southern California

Maybe these new owners think the 911s are smart enough on their own to flash each other.

They may be flashing us but it's after they have squirted the windshield and figured out how ...and we've past them.
+Quote Post
somd914
post Jul 30 2016, 05:50 AM
Post #46

Member No.: 12,741
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 28 2016, 04:12 PM) *

It's the disconnect between the real Porsche enthusiasts, and those who just buy them because they have the money to own a "Porsh."

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I understand that many are not familiar with the 914, but even in my guards red '84 Carrera with its tail and rather loud Fabspeed exhaust, most other Porsche owner are oblivious, to them their Porsche is just car with some prestige.

However, many WRX, STI, and Legacy GT owners acknowledge my Suby...

This also reminds me of 20 something girl who pulled into C&C one day in her new Mercedes SLS AMG which drew a crowd. One person asked how she liked the car, and she said she loves driving it because of all the attention she gets. The guy clarified his question with how do you like driving it? She didn't know how to respond...
+Quote Post
arkitect
post Jul 30 2016, 07:14 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 11,426

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 28 2016, 03:12 PM) *

Its interesting. The motorcycle community gives a nod or hand signal to pretty much every other motorcycle, regardless of what their driving (Unless its a scooter).

When I ride mine regularly its a solid 50% of bikes I run across will wave or wave me back

When I was riding motorcycle (bmw and crotchrocket) would get more than 50% waves from on coming riders. Miss riding bikes.

It would be cool to get that same acknowledgement from other p owners.

Dave
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jul 30 2016, 07:36 AM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

A bit off topic but I've always been AMAZED a how religious ALL motorcycle brands throw their arms down in "their" salute. The cycle brethren are tight...

PS: My lights are not hooked up as of yet but I won't bother - a wave is more effective nowadays.

T
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 05:33 AM