Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Newbie question 1: Dashboard
amfab
post Jul 28 2016, 02:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,004
Region Association: None

Hi I am new to this forum. Thanks in advance for the help.

Car is a 1974 2.0.
I am replacing the radio and have a roll of basket weave vinyl to do the rest of the dash as well.

My Question is: was the radio plate always separate in terms of vinyl basket weave or did the vinyl ever come as one contiguous piece from the drivers side all the way to the seam at the glove box with no seam for the radio plate, or were the radio plates always separate?

-Andrew
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
914Next
post Jul 29 2016, 02:40 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 17,695
Region Association: Upper MidWest

My understanding is that all radios were dealer installed such that none were really "factory". As a result, I think you would likely see many variations. One example is mine where they actually used plain black vinyl on the radio plate even though there is basket weave on the rest of the dash. I know this is as delivered since the car is very completely documented and i have had conversations with the original owner about this. I suspect for some reason they did not have basket weave in stock when they installed the radio...or they grabbed a radio from another Porsche as a quick solution and did not bother to change the vinyl.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jul 29 2016, 03:12 AM
Post #3

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

QUOTE(914Next @ Jul 29 2016, 01:40 AM) *

My understanding is that all radios were dealer installed such that none were really "factory". As a result, I think you would likely see many variations. One example is mine where they actually used plain black vinyl on the radio plate even though there is basket weave on the rest of the dash. I know this is as delivered since the car is very completely documented and i have had conversations with the original owner about this. I suspect for some reason they did not have basket weave in stock when they installed the radio...or they grabbed a radio from another Porsche as a quick solution and did not bother to change the vinyl.

Attached Image

Correct
I have the delete, DIN, and OEM style plates if you need any.
+Quote Post
914Next
post Jul 29 2016, 03:24 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 17,695
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 29 2016, 05:12 AM) *

QUOTE(914Next @ Jul 29 2016, 01:40 AM) *

Attached Image

Correct
I have the delete, DIN, and OEM style plates if you need any.

Thanks. I did buy an original plate with basket weave but the car is so original that I've decided to leave it as delivered. Some of these quirky things are what makes a particular car interesting.

Steve
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 07:39 AM