Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what is correct paint for top?
Creamsicle New Zealand
post Jul 28 2016, 02:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,403
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

Hi all, I need to repaint my top/roof and wondering if any one can tell me please what the correct black paint etc. is to use. Not sure if its in a semi gloss or matt finish? There is a texture on the top which may or may not be a part of the paint when applied. Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers Steve
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jul 28 2016, 03:19 PM
Post #2

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Supposedly Wurth underbody Schutz is the right stuff, or close enough. You set up the spray gun to make blobs and spatters intentionally, unlike most paint work.

A satin black will work, but it may be harder to get the texture with a thinner paint.

--DD
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Jul 28 2016, 04:18 PM
Post #3

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

......Ya, I'd say Wurth as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
dcheek
post Jul 28 2016, 04:27 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,103

I would recommend emailing John Paterek who is a world renowned Porsche restorer, along with his brother Ray. He's got it down perfect, after many years in the restoration business.

PM me and I will give you his email address.

Dave
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jul 28 2016, 05:04 PM
Post #5

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Creamsicle New Zealand @ Jul 28 2016, 01:59 PM) *

Hi all, I need to repaint my top/roof and wondering if any one can tell me please what the correct black paint etc. is to use. Not sure if its in a semi gloss or matt finish? There is a texture on the top which may or may not be a part of the paint when applied. Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers Steve

Steve,

There is a post in the O&H Forum by the Moderator - Pat Garvey / PIG - on this topic with good instructions, but you'll have to search on here or google for it.

It is a technique using Wurth "Shutz" underbody coating to make the blobs, under a top coat or 2-3 of satin or matt black paint. BTW - it's the same materials & technique used on the F & R valances & the L & R rocker panels (& on the black painted 73-74 steel bumpers, 70-72 were painted to match the body color instead, as were the CanAm/LEs like your Cremecicle in the accent color).

So you or your painter can line them all up at the same time for a consistent finish.

The gloss & semi-gloss black are too shiny & often used by mistake by well intentioned restorers.

BTW #2 - the factory undercoating - which was underneath the body color paint, can also be recreated with the same Wurth Shutz splatter technique, as IIRC it was what they used then too.

When you see 914s with the black textured undercoating, that was a dealer applied extra undercoating over the paint - often as sprayed on &/or in conjunction with the injected Zeibart rust proofing treatments (there were other types of undercoating than Ziebart as well).

http://www.ziebart.com/auto-care-services/...rust-protection

The Wurth Shutz is available in rattle can or pt./gal. (liters?) - with the latter for guns.

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
jack20
post Jul 28 2016, 06:08 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 18,099
Region Association: Northern California

I had very good success with SEM auto trim paint and SEM texture coating. Both matched perfectly an NOS front valance I was able to find both in texture and sheen. I used the products on the rockers, rear valance and the top. My top had only a few scuffs and I was able to match the texture by using a small stiff brush and then knocking down the high spots with some 1200 grit.
Both products come in rattle cans. I bought them at a pro paint supply shop.
Jack
+Quote Post
Creamsicle New Zealand
post Jul 28 2016, 06:43 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 18,403
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

Awesome thanks for the responses.
Steve
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:48 PM