Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> York to Sanden Conversion, Doug AC Fun
Mblizzard
post Aug 2 2016, 05:58 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,438
Region Association: South East States

Ok so I told myself the next time I pulled my engine I was going to get rid of the York compressor that seems to barely work. The system is currently R134 somehow but I am not sure that the Sanden 508 is the compressor I should go with. It seems like the 505 or 507 would be sufficient.

Anyone have a line on where to get a 505 or 507? 508s are easy to find but I though going down a size would ease installation.

Thoughts?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 2 2016, 06:10 PM
Post #2

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_7...n+%2Caps%2C4070 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Aug 2 2016, 06:50 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 2 2016, 04:10 PM) *

That's the 508.
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Aug 2 2016, 07:02 PM
Post #4

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

I've gotten my 507s from Ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SANDEN-STYLE-S...Hnz&vxp=mtr

They are not genuine Sanden but still have a good reputation at a much cheaper price.

Nostalgic AC seems to think so too...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6wtE76BrGCU
+Quote Post
maf914
post Aug 3 2016, 06:38 AM
Post #5

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 2 2016, 03:58 PM) *

Ok so I told myself the next time I pulled my engine I was going to get rid of the York compressor that seems to barely work. The system is currently R134 somehow but I am not sure that the Sanden 508 is the compressor I should go with. It seems like the 505 or 507 would be sufficient.

Anyone have a line on where to get a 505 or 507? 508s are easy to find but I though going down a size would ease installation.

Thoughts?

What sort of bracket or adapter are you using to switch from the York to the Sanden compressor? Any info or pics would be appreciated.
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Aug 3 2016, 08:09 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Ok so here is what I know. There are 2 types of brackets available. They both assume you have an existing point to mount your York Compressor. My location is the red bracket shown below.

Attached Image

The first one is very basic and assumes that you have some method to tension the belt other than relying on the limited movement that can be achieved by moving the bracket on the existing mounting point. You could find a belt that was the right length to work but you would certainly be limited.

Attached Image

The next option is a bracket that has adjustment built into it.

This seems like the better option but I have no idea of how it will potentially interfere with the engine lid, tins etc. But it seems like for my application that I would have sufficient tin clearance to use this type of bracket.

Attached Image

I just have to verify the rotation direction of the 507. I know the 508 can go either direction. Our engines rotate Clockwise from the pulley end
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Aug 3 2016, 08:20 AM
Post #7

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

Post #2 in my AC thread shows both styles of those brackets being used. I like the second option better IMO.
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Aug 3 2016, 08:49 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Aug 3 2016, 06:20 AM) *

Post #2 in my AC thread shows both styles of those brackets being used. I like the second option better IMO.

Doug! That was what I needed! Could not find the link!
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Aug 3 2016, 09:27 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I purchased both the fixed and adjustable York to Sanden brackets. Initially I thought I would use the adjustable but switched plans. The adjustable requires spacers which I had to buy separate. Even on the bench I was not thrilled with the fit and finish but when I test fitted in the car I realized the bracket simply takes up too much extra space so went to the fixed which proved simpler but better.

1. The Seltec compressor I used is model 103-55021. It fits neatly but snugly. Might have been easier with next size down. So many fake (Chinese) Sanden's out there that I felt better with the seltec and it works flawlessly. Note that the compressor pulley sits higher than the York. Thus, the tensioner idler pulley really winds up doing nothing (although I did pop a new bearing in there).

2. For me, the proper belt turned out to be a Gates 7460. As noted, you do not get a lot of room to adjust belt tension. Make sure you have the pulley behind the fan lined up right or you will need to do it over again (as I learned).

3. I replaced hose and fittings with Aeroquip EZ-Clip components. The hose is more flexible than barrier hose and the clip system is easier than crimping. Size 8 hose on the high pressure side, size 10 for low side, a small piece of #6 from condensor to receiver drier.

5. I stuck with R12. Y need to drain approx 4 oz of oil from compressor and replace with mineral oil (available at Napa). If you flush out the evaporator and condenser, add an ounce per component.

Definitely easier with engine out although not too bad with engine in.
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Aug 3 2016, 09:58 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Aug 3 2016, 07:27 AM) *

I purchased both the fixed and adjustable York to Sanden brackets. Initially I thought I would use the adjustable but switched plans. The adjustable requires spacers which I had to buy separate. Even on the bench I was not thrilled with the fit and finish but when I test fitted in the car I realized the bracket simply takes up too much extra space so went to the fixed which proved simpler but better.

1. The Seltec compressor I used is model 103-55021. It fits neatly but snugly. Might have been easier with next size down. So many fake (Chinese) Sanden's out there that I felt better with the seltec and it works flawlessly. Note that the compressor pulley sits higher than the York. Thus, the tensioner idler pulley really winds up doing nothing (although I did pop a new bearing in there).

2. For me, the proper belt turned out to be a Gates 7460. As noted, you do not get a lot of room to adjust belt tension. Make sure you have the pulley behind the fan lined up right or you will need to do it over again (as I learned).

3. I replaced hose and fittings with Aeroquip EZ-Clip components. The hose is more flexible than barrier hose and the clip system is easier than crimping. Size 8 hose on the high pressure side, size 10 for low side, a small piece of #6 from condensor to receiver drier.

5. I stuck with R12. Y need to drain approx 4 oz of oil from compressor and replace with mineral oil (available at Napa). If you flush out the evaporator and condenser, add an ounce per component.

Definitely easier with engine out although not too bad with engine in.

Any photos of the completed install?
+Quote Post
MarkV
post Aug 3 2016, 12:57 PM
Post #11

Fear the Jack Stands

Member No.: 154
Region Association: None

I think I have the other style bracket that uses two plates that are hinged. To set the belt adjustment you add shims between the plates at the bottom opposite the hinge. I welded tabs to the existing bracket to bold the 508 Sanden in place.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Aug 3 2016, 07:00 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Aug 4 2016, 07:59 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Also noted another version of the bracket on Flea Bay.

Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 04:42 PM