Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> '74 2L Starts Then Dies, Never a convenient time...
Mike D.
post Mar 13 2017, 04:02 PM
Post #41

OK, It runs now, and pretty good too!

Group: Members
Member No.: 85
Region Association: None

Fuel injector Trigger points in the distributor...?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Mar 13 2017, 04:25 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 13 2017, 05:45 PM) *

There is always Chris Foley around the corner from you before you give up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Hah! Nope, not giving up. I have a good relationship with those guys (Chris fabbed the race car for the prior owner and built the engine that's in it now) so I'll figger it out. Chip, chip, chipping away.

QUOTE(Mike D. @ Mar 13 2017, 06:02 PM) *

I've ordered the reman Cardone distributor from Advance. Counter Guy swears that if it's in the computer then he can get it (I'm doubtful) so we'll see.

I've temp-wired a switch in the engine compartment to ground the CSV for now and verified that the CSV shoots a nice pattern with key crank. We'll see if that makes any difference on cold starts.

In the market for a good used thermoswitch.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mike D.
post Mar 13 2017, 08:01 PM
Post #43

OK, It runs now, and pretty good too!

Member No.: 85
Region Association: None

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Mar 13 2017, 03:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 13 2017, 05:45 PM) *

There is always Chris Foley around the corner from you before you give up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Hah! Nope, not giving up. I have a good relationship with those guys (Chris fabbed the race car for the prior owner and built the engine that's in it now) so I'll figger it out. Chip, chip, chipping away.

QUOTE(Mike D. @ Mar 13 2017, 06:02 PM) *

I've ordered the reman Cardone distributor from Advance. Counter Guy swears that if it's in the computer then he can get it (I'm doubtful) so we'll see.

I've temp-wired a switch in the engine compartment to ground the CSV for now and verified that the CSV shoots a nice pattern with key crank. We'll see if that makes any difference on cold starts.

In the market for a good used thermoswitch.

Dist. trigger points don't fire the CSV/injector.
you can pull the distributor, remove/clean/check trigger points and re-instal on the stock dist. in the meantime. Or check for continuity while someone is cranking (disconnect coil while handling dist. in car)
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Apr 6 2017, 09:10 AM
Post #44

Advanced Member

And the answer is...(or seems to be...)

Wait for it...

Bad MPS.

Haven't taken it for a drive yet (April showers and all that) but Tangetine rebuilt the MPS and it has totally transformed the car. Starts, runs and idles, doesn't suddenly die, idle is consistent.

Ed noticed a lot of my symptoms, plus some others I offered (such as I gave the ecu dialed full rich to stop surging at idle, and poor throttle response on the road) and figured I was running lean, and that the MPS needed rebuild. I found that diagnosis odd, given the MPS held a vacuum. So Chris suggested I try adjusting it instead. I removed it and handed it to them to mod for that, and they found a cracked diaphragm. They rebuilt it and when I bolted it on the car and started it up the difference was immediately evident.

Adjusted the MPS richer to move the ecu knob to the middle, adjusted ignition timing to 27, set idle and now it starts nicely. Plus, running lean and 10 degrees too much timing could also explain why it runs too hot in the summer.

As noted, I still need to take it out on a nice day, but I think we have this licked.

Scroll up and see if you called it like Ed did. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Apr 6 2017, 10:13 AM
Post #45

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Apr 6 2017, 11:10 AM) *

And the answer is...(or seems to be...)

Wait for it...

Bad MPS.

Haven't taken it for a drive yet (April showers and all that) but Tangetine rebuilt the MPS and it has totally transformed the car. Starts, runs and idles, doesn't suddenly die, idle is consistent.

Ed noticed a lot of my symptoms, plus some others I offered (such as I gave the ecu dialed full rich to stop surging at idle, and poor throttle response on the road) and figured I was running lean, and that the MPS needed rebuild. I found that diagnosis odd, given the MPS held a vacuum. So Chris suggested I try adjusting it instead. I removed it and handed it to them to mod for that, and they found a cracked diaphragm. They rebuilt it and when I bolted it on the car and started it up the difference was immediately evident.

Adjusted the MPS richer to move the ecu knob to the middle, adjusted ignition timing to 27, set idle and now it starts nicely. Plus, running lean and 10 degrees too much timing could also explain why it runs too hot in the summer.

As noted, I still need to take it out on a nice day, but I think we have this licked.

Scroll up and see if you called it like Ed did. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I did!!!! Post #13 on first page! As I said then, had the same symptoms and frustrated the hell out of me. Almost sold the car-
Congratulations hope you can now enjoy driving it!! Maybe it will make it to Okteenrfest this year!!
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Apr 28 2017, 06:54 AM
Post #46

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Apr 6 2017, 12:13 PM) *
I did!!!! Post #13 on first page! As I said then, had the same symptoms and frustrated the hell out of me. Almost sold the car-

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)

Just a quick follow up...the car is totally transformed. For those of you that have never experienced a bad MPS, trust me, this is like an automotive religious experience. Just spend the money because now my car that ran like total hell is a joy to drive: starts, idles, runs smooth, warms up nicely, and doesn't die when I push in the clutch at a light...with this system running correctly all thoughts of carbs is long, long gone.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 09:39 AM