Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WET SANDBLASTING A 914
mepstein
post Aug 12 2016, 10:09 AM
Post #21

914-6 GT in waiting

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Remember, like scotty b has said in past threads, your compressor won't work, you need to rent a big commercial unit.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ssuperflyoldguy
post Aug 12 2016, 10:45 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 19,364
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 12 2016, 09:09 AM) *

Remember, like scotty b has said in past threads, your compressor won't work, you need to rent a big commercial unit.

Or gang several compressors on a single line...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Aug 12 2016, 01:51 PM
Post #23

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 12 2016, 08:09 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) yeah, that problem too. Despite the nice lady at Dustless blasting being told EXACTLY my compressors stats, she told me it was more than enough to run the system.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 25 2016, 08:19 PM
Post #24

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Well I was intrigued so I went and bought an el cheapo, so far I just shot a rusty rim face and I'm impressed. I have a 4hp 3000psi power washer, the WSB unit was something like $70.USD ($119CA at princess auto in Canada)

I haven't done enough to review it and I have no holdtight so we'll see how much it flash rusts over night.
So far I'd say it has it's place, but care will have to be taken to to avoid the pitfalls. It makes a mess, you still get hosed with sand, but don't have to worry about breathing it in. Looks like it will go through a shitload of sand, I'd say I went through 50lbs just to do a rim face, but it only took me 10 minutes.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images11.palcdn.com-26-1472177946.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 26 2016, 08:13 AM
Post #25

that's what I do!

So this was the result of my quick test shot. As I said I don't have any Holdtight 102 (I need to find a canadian distributor) it's fairly high humidity out and I didn't dry it proper. Not to mention it was after dark and I wasn't dressed proper.
So it's starting to flash, but even with the flash it took off the heavy rust PDQ. If I just went from here and hit it with the dry blaster it would clean up damn fast.
The last pic of the back of the rim shows how heavy the rust was on most of the face.

As said you would have to be super careful if doing the body, but it will definitely be a useful tool.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 26 2016, 08:42 AM
Post #26

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 26 2016, 10:13 AM) *

So this was the result of my quick test shot. As I said I don't have any Holdtight 102 (I need to find a canadian distributor) it's fairly high humidity out and I didn't dry it proper. Not to mention it was after dark and I wasn't dressed proper.
So it's starting to flash, but even with the flash it took off the heavy rust PDQ. If I just went from here and hit it with the dry blaster it would clean up damn fast.
The last pic of the back of the rim shows how heavy the rust was on most of the face.

As said you would have to be super careful if doing the body, but it will definitely be a useful tool.

Why not just use a regular sand blaster on a steel wheel?
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Aug 26 2016, 08:48 AM
Post #27

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Mark just probably wanted to blast some rust and the rim was easiest thing to find and do to test his new toy.
+Quote Post
gandalf_025
post Aug 26 2016, 09:21 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 10,509
Region Association: North East States

Body shop I sent my car to had it Soda Blasted and
I didn't get to go see the car for over a week.
Took this picture while it was sitting there.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 26 2016, 11:13 AM
Post #29

that's what I do!

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 26 2016, 10:42 AM) *

Why not just use a regular sand blaster on a steel wheel?

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 26 2016, 10:48 AM) *

Mark just probably wanted to blast some rust and the rim was easiest thing to find and do to test his new toy.

Bit of both, yes it was handy, but I'm going to use this sprint star rim as a spare on my bug.

As far as a regular sand blaster or my blast cabinet using my 5hp (real 5hp) 120gal compressor I'd say this would have taken me about an hour+ to get this far.
For big jobs I've used a service in the past, but they have a minimum charge , make an appointment, get my ducks in a row, wait till they get here or take it to them...paint like crazy for the next 24 hours.
This was one hell of a lot faster.

Mark do you use air ratchets at work? Do you torque with them as well?
Some tools are great at what they do, but you have to reach for another tool to finish the job.
To me this did a great, fast job on the heavy rust, a bit of flash will come off PDQ in my blast cabinet. Better drying and holdtight and I should have minimal flash.
On flash and small parts I wonder if drying in my shop oven would help.

Not for everyone, it makes a hell of a mess.
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Aug 29 2016, 02:00 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 15,637
Region Association: Southern California

Well I got busy wet blasting the 914. Ran out of sand (2000lbs). 90% complete. The blaster worked flawlessly not a single clog after blasting through 2000lbs of sand. Did not use hold tight. Spoke with my paint manufacturer and they said flash rust is not a problem for epoxy primer. Just hit it with scotch brite and a cleaner that they provide. Steered away from rust convertors or soda or anything that I would have to neutralize either acid or base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ0oQxO59Y8
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Aug 30 2016, 08:07 AM
Post #31

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Aug 29 2016, 04:00 PM) *

Well I got busy wet blasting the 914. Ran out of sand (2000lbs). 90% complete. The blaster worked flawlessly not a single clog after blasting through 2000lbs of sand. Did not use hold tight. Spoke with my paint manufacturer and they said flash rust is not a problem for epoxy primer. Just hit it with scotch brite and a cleaner that they provide. Steered away from rust convertors or soda or anything that I would have to neutralize either acid or base.

IIRC you can reuse the blast media with wet blasting a few times (2 or 3).
If you supplier says otherwise, obviously go with that.

Zach
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Aug 30 2016, 08:53 AM
Post #32

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 30 2016, 07:07 AM) *

QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Aug 29 2016, 04:00 PM) *

IIRC you can reuse the blast media with wet blasting a few times (2 or 3).
If you supplier says otherwise, obviously go with that.

Zach

Yeah you can reuse the blast media....but then you would have to recover and dry before use. Then you would have to hope for some really hot days and spreading out the sand then collecting it again.........too much work when sand is so cheap and I really don't want to store 1000 lbs of sand. By the way, I am blasting where I'm going to cast a concrete pad......so the sand is going to some good use.
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Aug 30 2016, 11:20 AM
Post #33

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

Mark- I have used this Krud Kutter stuff after conventional sandblasting to prevent flash rust. Works well, comes in a concentrate also.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/d2pbmlo3fglvvr.cloudfront.net-13632-1472577640.1.JPG)

Most big home improvement centers carry it.

+Quote Post
bulitt
post Aug 30 2016, 11:28 AM
Post #34

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

Mark- I have used this Krud Kutter stuff after conventional sandblasting to prevent flash rust. Works well, comes in a concentrate also.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/d2pbmlo3fglvvr.cloudfront.net-13632-1472578089.1.JPG)

Most big home improvement centers carry it.

Allis Chalmers engine one week after blasting

Attached Image

Primed and painted PPG

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Aug 30 2016, 02:40 PM
Post #35

If you do a search on flash rust you're going to get answers both ways.....1) use a metal prep (rust converter,etcher) 2) don't use a metal prep, etcher.

According to the manufacturer of my epoxy primer (SPI) they said Do Not Use a Rust Converter, flash rust is fine!

I guess the best thing is to call your paint manufacturer and see what they say. As far as I understand PPG also does not want you to use a rust converter. I believe that their reasoning is that people will not do a good job of neutralizing with water before primering it. Or that some of the acid gets stuck in the seams and does not come out. Eventually it does come out and it will ruin your paint job.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:58 PM