Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1970 914/6 Harness Horror, Main Wiring Harness Connection
Howie149
post Aug 10 2016, 08:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,286
Region Association: None

I have a 1970 914/6. When I pulled the motor out, the 14 pin Main Harness that sits on the Relay Board in the engine compartment came apart. Thus I have no idea which wire goes where. I have 6 wires. (2 are grey and black and go to the transmission back-up switch/sender. 1 Green and brown and 1 Green and black go to the oil pressure and oil level senders. 1 Black and red goes to the coil and I'm not sure about the black and blue/purple.) I have attached a picture of the harness below.

I would enjoy any guidance on where to plug these wires.

Car won't start and it keeps blowing fuses which I assume is either a problem with these wires or the ignition system/distributor needs an overhaul.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
cary
post Aug 10 2016, 09:06 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Your fired ...
You need to give the car to me .... LOL

All kidding aside. No big deal.
If you look closely at the black connector it should have little numbers.
The schematic will have matching numbers. Just plug them back in the correct hole.

I'm stripping down another 964 at work. While removing the 40# harness. One of the 6 pin versions
behind the gauges came apart. I got lucky. It didn't explode like yours.
+Quote Post
Howie149
post Aug 10 2016, 09:39 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(cary @ Aug 10 2016, 08:06 PM) *

Your fired ...

The schematic will have matching numbers. Just plug them back in the correct hole.

I'm stripping down another 964 at work. While removing the 40# harness. One of the 6 pin versions

Yeah I saw the numbers. I wish it was that easy. I don't have a schematic for that part of the harness. I have the shop manuals for the 914 but not going back to 1970. The schematics are for other relay brackets and different main harnesses. Everything else is either too small to read, not in color or clearly wrong.
+Quote Post
cary
post Aug 10 2016, 09:41 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

My manuals are at my shop.
I won't be out there till Friday.
Hopefully someone will chime in with what you need before that.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 10 2016, 10:45 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

[quote name='Howie149' post='2383480' date='Aug 11 2016, 03:39 PM']
[quote name='cary' post='2383467' date='Aug 10 2016, 08:06 PM']
Your fired ...

[/quote]

Yeah I saw the numbers. I wish it was that easy. I don't have a schematic for that part of the harness. I have the shop manuals for the 914 but not going back to 1970. The schematics are for other relay brackets and different main harnesses. Everything else is either too small to read, not in color or clearly wrong.

I have a schematic but I just looked and its for a 4 to 6cyl conversion ,try a google search 914/6 relay pins or similar,think I saw one a while back.
Please move the Ashlock tach adaptor behind the dash where it belongs,these units aren't waterproof.it will fizz in this wet area.
I will go back thru my notes and see what I can find on my old laptop...if it still works (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Will get back soon hopefully.

EDIT,found this from this site AA conversion book;

Attached Image

Hope it is some use.
+Quote Post
Peashooter
post Aug 11 2016, 05:42 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 13,903

QUOTE(Howie149 @ Aug 10 2016, 10:42 PM) *

I have a 1970 914/6. When I pulled the motor out, the 14 pin Main Harness that sits on the Relay Board in the engine compartment came apart. Thus I have no idea which wire goes where. I have 6 wires. (2 are grey and black and go to the transmission back-up switch/sender. 1 Green and brown and 1 Green and black go to the oil pressure and oil level senders. 1 Black and red goes to the coil and I'm not sure about the black and blue/purple.) I have attached a picture of the harness below.

Car won't start and it keeps blowing fuses which I assume is either a problem with these wires or the ignition system/distributor needs an overhaul.

That is not a factory harness. Wire colors are totally different. Stock engine?
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Aug 11 2016, 08:05 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

I took a picture of the multi-pin connectors with the caps removed but....you've got some non-original wires there.
Your car is an original 6 right ?
Hope this helps
Why do you have a tach adapter ?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Aug 11 2016, 08:24 AM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 11 2016, 06:05 AM) *

I was thinking the same thing...if it's a real /6 there's no need.
Maybe it's a conversion?
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Aug 11 2016, 10:39 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

Most likely a real 6, the oil line to the tank has an aluminum collar.
+Quote Post
Dion
post Aug 11 2016, 10:44 AM
Post #10

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Aug 11 2016, 06:24 AM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 11 2016, 06:05 AM) *

I was thinking the same thing...if it's a real /6 there's no need.
Maybe it's a conversion?

I think I remember reading the tach adapt can also
smooth out signals if the original tach is too
bouncy.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Aug 11 2016, 12:22 PM
Post #11

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

If the wiring follows the same convention as the four-cylinder cars, the black/purple is the tach signal wire. It would likely have gone from the coil (-) terminal through the relay board to the tach.

--DD
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 11 2016, 01:12 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Peashooter @ Aug 11 2016, 11:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Howie149 @ Aug 10 2016, 10:42 PM) *

That is not a factory harness. Wire colors are totally different. Stock engine?

Good spotting,no wire tracer colours,me thinks some time will be needed with a multimeter,expect the harness has been remade @ some stage ?,
The other metal box plugged in to the relay board is a signal convertor for the tach right ? so as mentioned why the tach convertor.
+Quote Post
Howie149
post Aug 11 2016, 07:57 PM
Post #13

Its a numbers matching car but the wiring harness isn't stock. May be from a 914/4.
+Quote Post
Perry Kiehl Clone
post Aug 11 2016, 08:16 PM
Post #14

Unregistered

Looks like it could be one of my harnesses, or maybe a from a kit I sold. On a 914-6 the tach wire is black with a blue tracer. I've been swamped with a house project. I'll get the color coding and pin outs tomorrow. It really isn't hard to ohm out the wires and see where they are connected.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Aug 11 2016, 08:56 PM
Post #15

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 11 2016, 01:22 PM) *

If the wiring follows the same convention as the four-cylinder cars, the black/purple is the tach signal wire. It would likely have gone from the coil (-) terminal through the relay board to the tach.

--DD

Actually Dave, on a six, it comes directly off the points. The negative coil terminal on a six is connected to ground. The positive comes from the CD box output. That's why they need a tach amplifier plugged into the relay board.

This is the diagram of the ignition wiring from a early911/914-6.

Attached Image

#6 is the coil. #5 is the distributor, and #7 is the engine. On the distributor, the black wire is the trigger to the CD box, the black/purple goes to the tach amplifier, and the white is actually a braided shield wire that is grounded on both ends. On the coil, the blue/yellow is the pulse out from the CD box.

This is the CD box diagram.

Attached Image

The only additional wire is the red switched ignition power wire. You still have the blue/yellow that goes to the positive side of the coil, the black wire which goes to the points, and the braided shield which goes to the negative side of the coil and also to ground.

The Tach adapter on yours is wired to replace the tach amplifier that is NLA from Porsche. I had to do the same thing on my car. If you can find a factory tach amplifier, the early 911 concours guys will pay through the nose for them.

I have a hand drawn pinout diagram, with proper wire color codes, for the six relay board in the garage. If you still need it tomorrow I can copy it and upload it.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Aug 11 2016, 09:25 PM
Post #16

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 11 2016, 10:24 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl Clone @ Aug 12 2016, 02:16 PM) *

Looks like it could be one of my harnesses, or maybe a from a kit I sold. On a 914-6 the tach wire is black with a blue tracer. I've been swamped with a house project. I'll get the color coding and pin outs tomorrow. It really isn't hard to ohm out the wires and see where they are connected.

Nice to see someone step in with the knowledge that I most likely don't have....then what do I do .....I get Perry to build a loom for my conversion makes sense to me as I don't have the time also.

I still think its important to have the tach adapt out of the engine bay,i mounted mine behind the gauges...could be wrong however.
+Quote Post
Howie149
post Aug 12 2016, 12:14 AM
Post #18

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl Clone @ Aug 11 2016, 07:16 PM) *

Thanks very much. I'm not at all good with electrical issues. No idea what ohming out the wires means. But any guidance is great. It may end up that I need a proper harness for the back. I think it is the original board...just an odd wiring job.
+Quote Post
SixerJ
post Aug 12 2016, 12:43 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 16,042
Region Association: England

Positive you have a six board, two vertical plugs as opposed to one vertical and one horizontal for a 4

Ohming out just means a continuity test pin to pin between the various component on the diagram to identify which wire colour goes from pin x on the exploded plug to say pin y on the distributor, CDI box etc

If you don't have a auto specific multimeter (going to be useful in your Porsche journey) even a bog basic multimeter from you local diy store or Amazon will do

Dial into ohms (upside down U) and start buzzing wires out

I would also try and get the tach adapter apart to replace the frayed yellow wire. I almost lost my 911 to mr smokey because of a frayed wire like that. Lots of frantic pulling wires out from the dash light switch. Very scary and a few very warm fingers

Don't think I have a diagram, will check on Dropbox (edit. Just checked, nope don't have the electrical section of the workshop manual / diagram)

Good luck
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:02 PM