Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

> marginal OEM vs new & improved, which is better, or, when to keep or replace?
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Aug 12 2016, 06:35 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,727

10 years ago it was time to either properly restore/refresh/rejuvenate my '70/4 that I've owned since 1975 or just let it continue to deteriorate and succumb to the ravages of time, road salt and rust. Midwest winters and a foolish drive along Daytona Beach early in my ownership did no favors for unprotected sheet metal.
During the "redo", I advised the shop to preserve as much metal and paint as possible in the effort to maintain as much originality as possible. Except in the roll bar area and some part of the front trunk, everything else had to be stripped, repaired and repainted. The interior needed nothing except a new dash pad, as everything else was in excellent shape. Engine components were all kept after cleaning and "re-freshening" as needed.

The question now is, the broken, cracked and hanging on solely out of habit rain tray can now be replaced by a far superior item from Mark (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) I am certain that after receiving and installing the new rain tray, the engine compartment will finally be without reproach, but will it? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) At a strictly judged concours (say regional PCA) will a broken, barely hanging on OEM rain tray be better, or worse, than a new repro part?

The sheet metal redo was a no brainer in order to save the car, but even though I am getting a new rain tray, I'm having second thoughts as to actually installing it.
Anyone have any thoughts, opinions or feedback to share?

The accompanying pics show the extent of the rust damage that had to be addressed to save the car, the rain tray replacement is not a fix that is crucial except with regards to OEM.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 05:11 PM