Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Oil temp vs. cylinder head temp question, one low and other high
Bill Shaw
post Apr 13 2005, 07:56 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,013

Just put a new VDO cylinder head temp gauge in during the off-season (after getting scared that the oil temp gauge was off, though the car runs like it's new). After driving it around for a couple of days I have the following results (with Mobil 1, 15W50, in a '74 2 liter):

Oil temp on factory dash gauge - barely reaches the "T" after full warm up and no matter what rpm I'm at.
Cylinder head temp - around 300 driving around town (never gets beyond 325, even in traffic, such as it is in Kalamazoo); around 400 on the freeway @ 3200 in fifth at 75-80 mph

I thought the oil temp and cyl. head temp would be roughly equivalent, at least as far as I can figure from the past threads. The big difference has me stumped. Anybody have any explanation? Am I going to hear any expensive noises soon? What numbers should I be looking for?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/unsure.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/unsure.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Bill Shaw
post Apr 14 2005, 01:58 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,013

Tested the sender and gauge last night with boiling water and it looks like the gauge is pretty accurate. Guess that means I've got some tuning and valve adjustments to do over the weekend - and the yard cleaning will just have to wait.

Glad to hear there are some folks who know where Kalamazoo is; those of us living in the middle coast can feel a little left out sometimes except, of course, for the Midwest Classic weekend!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Bill Shaw   Oil temp vs. cylinder head temp question   Apr 13 2005, 07:56 AM
tat2dphreak   heads get signifigantly hotter than the oil should...   Apr 13 2005, 08:09 AM
Jake Raby   These can vary and are NOT dependant upon each oth...   Apr 13 2005, 08:36 AM
Tom Perso   Bill... I just picked myself up off the floor. I...   Apr 13 2005, 08:50 AM
phantom914   How do you know that the gauge is accurate? Andr...   Apr 13 2005, 08:52 AM
Joseph Mills     Apr 13 2005, 05:01 PM
guywan914   Jake, we definately all appreciate your input and ...   Apr 13 2005, 07:34 PM
tat2dphreak   ...   Apr 14 2005, 02:59 PM
tat2dphreak  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 01:37 PM