Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OTish: Suby head gasket..., Dealer wants to change it "while they're in there"...
flyer86d
post Aug 17 2016, 04:47 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,585
Region Association: North East States

Let me preface this by saying that I owned and operated a garage here in Vermont where Subaru is the most popular car. I have done my share of head gaskets on the 2.5 Subaru engine. I can understand why the dealer suggested doing the job while they were doing the timing belt as you have to remove the timing belt while replacing the head gaskets. Also they know that the head gaskets are going to fail soon anyway. The dealer knows that replacing them proactively might save you money if they fail and the engine overheats causing more damage. Subaru built their reputation on the 2.2 engine which was great, then they brought out the 2.5 around 1997 which has had a head gasket issue from the beginning which they have never corrected. The 3.0 on the other hand is bullet proof. I have no use for the 2.5 as it was and still is a POS.

Make sure that they replace the water pump, thermostat and all of the timing belt pulleys and tensioner while they are in there.

Charlie
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 01:18 PM