Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dollars and Sense, Stock vs Modified
Gunn1
post Aug 20 2016, 10:19 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,670
Region Association: None

The Suby, V8, 6 conversions and other mods currently being done on the 914 are all interesting alternatives and additions to the stock make up/characteristics of the car. But coming from a dollars & cents, and return on investment angle wouldn't a nicely done stock 914 make the most sense? After looking and comparing the Sold "Stock" or mostly Stock restorations and the Sold mild to highly modified cars and the prices they are selling for, it just doesn't seem like all the additional $'s spent on modifying a car are worth it when it comes to resale end of things.

Is there something I am missing?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Aug 20 2016, 10:22 AM
Post #2

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481

QUOTE(Gunn1 @ Aug 20 2016, 09:19 AM) *

Yes, the driving experience and fun of an enhanced 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Aug 20 2016, 10:31 AM
Post #3

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Yep. it's almost a universal law of this hobby that you don't get back the money you put in. But most people who modify their cars do it for their own pleasure...and that's return enough.

For that matter, doing a concours restoration is no guarantee you'll make a profit when sold...or even get your money back. Especially when factoring labor into the equation.

In my experience, the best way to "invest" is to buy the best car you can afford (without paying above market), keep it stock and in good shape, and enjoy the hell out of it for a long time. It turns out that time itself yields the best ROI. If you're lucky and catch it right (911s 5 years ago) you may not have to wait long.

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 20 2016, 10:34 AM
Post #4

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

PS - and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) with the above....

From an investment perspective, a correct numbers matching restoration (of certain 914 models) or preservation (of an all original low mile 914) will have the higer back end value - if any classic car can really be called an "investment."

The resto mods tend to be done with less desirable 914s to start with - e.g.: the low end 69 HP 73 CA smogged 1.7s, other 1.7s, 1.8s, cars with blown/useless engines, etc. - & are done for the fun of driving them, reliability, etc. In those cases, an originality based resto won't return more value than a mod, since the base car is already compromised from a collectable perspective if done "as original."

So it's a yes-no-yes answer.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Madswede
post Aug 20 2016, 04:18 PM
Post #5

Flat Out Driver

Member No.: 6,831
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Aug 20 2016, 10:22 AM) *

Yes, the driving experience and fun of an enhanced 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I have never understood the concept of cars as investments, but that's me. To each their own, it's certainly not why I bought my 914 and spent tens of thousands having it restored (body and paint) then highly modified. For me it's all about the (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Aug 21 2016, 06:13 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438
Region Association: South East States

There are few cars at the cost available to most people that are investments which can be expected to return anything. The 914 is increasing in value but it is at best a labo of love rather than any hope of a return.
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Aug 22 2016, 12:46 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

This is a "if you have to ask..." kind of question. The guys I see restoring to investment quality are pros. And if you're a pro you already know the answer. I'm banking on the hope that I can restore to fun-and-reliable-driver quality. And it's hard to have fun while driving a museum-piece.
+Quote Post
JoeDees
post Aug 22 2016, 12:55 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 18,106

QUOTE(mbseto @ Aug 22 2016, 01:46 PM) *

I'm banking on the hope that I can restore to fun-and-reliable-driver quality. And it's hard to have fun while driving a museum-piece.

And if I can get what I put into it a few years later to fund the next great project I'll be double happy.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Aug 22 2016, 01:55 PM
Post #9

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

The Suby, V8, 6 conversions and other mods currently being done on the 914 are all interesting alternatives and additions to the stock make up/characteristics of the car. But coming from a dollars & cents, and return on investment angle wouldn't a nicely done stock 914 make the most sense? After looking and comparing the Sold "Stock" or mostly Stock restorations and the Sold mild to highly modified cars and the prices they are selling for, it just doesn't seem like all the additional $'s spent on modifying a car are worth it when it comes to resale end of things.

Turn in your man-card if you have to ask that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Not sure where you get the "additional" money portion, have you priced stock components? I'm sure some of those conversions the owner got the car with no motor or a blown up one and putting in a different drive train was cheaper and made more financial sense.

It would be silly to take a bone stock concourse winning car and do an engine swap thinking it'll be worth more, but I don't see that happening.

Chances are you are going to lose money either way, if worried about it, sell car(s) as is right now so your investment isn't wasted.

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 22 2016, 02:08 PM
Post #10

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

You dont modify a car for resale.

You modify a car to make it a reflection of your person; to get out of it what you want; or out of necessity.

This is probably more of a question of "Restore or Modify". They both take about the same amount of cost and time, while one takes patience and research, the other takes craftsmanship and creativity. One gives you a certain kind of reward for the accomplishment while the other a totally different yet the same kind of reward.

Its more in the personality differences than anything I find in the owners.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 22 2016, 02:30 PM
Post #11

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

First you were arguing that a propane conversion would be the greatest and now you're arguing that it would be stupid to modify a 914.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

I know, I have you on ignore, why am I even replying. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 03:50 PM