Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> parts needed for tail to side shift conversion, want a list of EVERYTHING needed
914 RZ-1
post Aug 26 2016, 06:03 PM
Post #1

Porsche Padawan

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,230
Region Association: Southern California

I've read a few of the posts about converting a tail shift to a side shift. What I was not able to find is a detailed list of what parts I need.

I did look at the PET and made a list of the hardware (bolts and nuts) that I can get at a local place (not a home improvement store) that has the Grade 8 hardware needed for this application.

It looks like I also need (numbers are same as on PET illustration 119-00):
1. L & R supporting plate
2. engine mounting (rubber bushing)
9. engine carrier (bar)
11. base
Anything else?

What else do I need for the inside of the trans? Looks like I need 3 shifter forks and part numbers 13-28 on the PET (illustration 304-05). Anything else? Tell me item numbers in the PET so I can see what they look like.

I'd like to do a search in the FS section and see if anyone has the various pieces.

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Aug 26 2016, 07:59 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Try to source all the parts from a used/wrecked side shifter 914 ('73 on). You basically need everything between the gear shift knob to the internal shift forks, as well as a different engine mount bar. Check with some of the use parts vendors to see if you can get a complete setup.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Aug 26 2016, 08:25 PM
Post #3

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Use a complete side-shift transmission. It should be easier to get one than to get all of the separate pieces. If your tail-shifter is in really good shape, you can swap the linkages and forks and rails and such over. But it's easier to just bolt up the later trans.

You need the gear shift linkage--the whole thing. Gear shift lever, front shift rod, rear shift rod, covers and such. You'll need the "converter" bushing for the hole in the firewall.

You'll need the late-style cast motor mount bar, the outboard solid mounts for the bar, the inboard rubber mounts, and the brackets for the inboard mounts.

Finally, it's a good idea to pick up the later-style engine tin piece on the bottom-left side of the engine; the later one makes a bit more room for the side-shift rod.

Mixing and matching parts is not recommended...

--DD
+Quote Post
larryM
post Aug 27 2016, 08:23 PM
Post #4

emoze

Member No.: 65
Region Association: Northern California

fwiw - i have most or all of the parts DD says below, with known good driver rebuilt trans

all near Sac'to

p.m. or call 530 889 8268 & leave message

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 26 2016, 07:25 PM) *

Use a complete side-shift transmission. It should be easier to get one than to get all of the separate pieces. If your tail-shifter is in really good shape, you can swap the linkages and forks and rails and such over. But it's easier to just bolt up the later trans.

You need the gear shift linkage--the whole thing. Gear shift lever, front shift rod, rear shift rod, covers and such. You'll need the "converter" bushing for the hole in the firewall.

You'll need the late-style cast motor mount bar, the outboard solid mounts for the bar, the inboard rubber mounts, and the brackets for the inboard mounts.

Finally, it's a good idea to pick up the later-style engine tin piece on the bottom-left side of the engine; the later one makes a bit more room for the side-shift rod.

--DD

+Quote Post
914 RZ-1
post Aug 31 2016, 08:17 PM
Post #5

Porsche Padawan

Member No.: 18,230
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(larryM @ Aug 27 2016, 07:23 PM) *

fwiw - i have most or all of the parts DD says below, with known good driver rebuilt trans

all near Sac'to

p.m. or call 530 889 8268 & leave message

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 26 2016, 07:25 PM) *

--DD

PM sent.
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Aug 31 2016, 08:50 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

While you're at it, put a Rennshift in...
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Sep 1 2016, 08:35 AM
Post #7

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

L&R brackets and bolts for the inboard engine mounts. With the stock shifter, new bushings that cradle the lever pivot ball. The 1&R detent plate should be nice and straight, almost a sharp edge, and no grove cut into shift lever at the contact point.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 11:23 AM