Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Al Reed restoration -- what size shoes to wear?, New Tires are mounted
Cal
post Aug 29 2016, 03:48 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,138
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 27 2016, 05:00 PM) *

Al's shop does such great work! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

Jett - what type of a resto are you doing? .... what is your goal?
.... Concours or Driver? .... Originality? .... Resto Mod?

Those 165/70R15 will give you a pretty big odometer error of 16% IIRC, so you'll add up "shadow" or "ghost mileage" post resto pretty quickly, & pay the ultimate value penalty for it later on down the road, as did other members on here. So you'll want to use one of the tire error calculators online to compare with the stock 165/80R15 size for error, to try to minimize it.

For example, Todd914 on here did a pristine CW refurb of a nice low mile original survivor red/black 73 2L & put the factory recco'd substitue 195/65R15s on with half your Pirelli's error at about 8%, & paid the penalty of a couple of $10Ks when he sold it after a short hold

Your wheels look to be dead on original correct - down to anodizing them & with the dulled down background.

So if you're looking for period correct - the 73-76 2.0's came with H speed rated tires in 165HR15 (i.e.: 165/80HR15 in today's /80 profile size), & you should stick with the 165HR15 (or at least a 165SR15 or TR, which weren't around back then) size tires.

Check at Lucas Tires in Long Beach CA & their UK counterpart Longstone Tyres for what they have (US can get anything on the UK site as well). You'll find that their tire prices are better than Coker in most cases, & Al could've had theirs mounted on his wheels for you, had you made the choice before he shipped them (for futre ref & for others reading here).

http://www.lucasclassictires.com

http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk

There are also Universal & Coker to price check as well -

https://www.universaltire.com

https://www.cokertire.com

Some of the question is also what you want to drop $$s for a set of 5 tires, cuz they range from $70-100 each for basic B-brand 165/80SR15s, up to $400-500 for 185 XWX Michelins. Also, a member here has 2 unused/never mounted XWXs in the Parts FS classifieds for a reasonable price (for those), to get part way there.

Vredestein has a decent HR one at the lower end, & sometimes Bridgestone will have an SR or TR or HR rated 165/80R15, & there are some off-brand or B-brand 165/80R15's out there too, but I wouldn't recco any of them.

FYI - T speed rating is adequate for our 2Ls /4s but wasn't out back then, & HR was overkill beyond the rated 119 mph spec top speed of a 73-74 2L (I've had my stock 73 2L up to 126 though), so the HR goes with more cushion, whereas the SR is too low for a 2L, but was spec'd for the 1.7L & 1.8L with lower top speeds - but are usable in real world sub-100 mph use..

The next step up would be the period correct mfgrs. & both Pirelli Cinturato & Michelin have 165/80R15 in S, H, & V speed ratings: Michiliin in XZX SR, XAS HR (the XAS needs tubes), as well as the period option XWX 185/70VR15 (nominal <0.1% error IIRC).

Another option there is on a tire very much like the OE "Dog-bone tread" Dunlop SP57 165HR15's which were most often spec'd on our 2Ls, 194-6's & 911s of that day (the 185 XWX above being the optional upgrade), is the modern retro tire by Blockley here:

http://www.lucasclassictires.com/165VR15-B...Radial-504p.htm

While those choices above will look most original & period correct on your resto, you won't be dinged at any of the local Region nor Zone PCA Concours for having non-original size &/or make tires (originality isn't judged here in our Zone 8, & AFAIK not in your Zone either), & may only run into it at a non-PCA Concours where they'd look for old school Michi or Pirelli etc., & maybe at the national PCA Parade Concours. that's my truth in advertizing bit on tires, but I do like the old school size & make look on a well restored or perserved survivor 914.

If you're looking for a driving tire & don't care about odometer error, then others on here are probably up to date on the current choices, but I would still suggest using the tire calculator to get the least speedo/odo error tires with the performance specs/profile for which you're looking.

Also beware that some of the wider tires will give you rub marks on the inner front wheelwells, &/or at the outer F &/or R fender lips, which would cause damage to your frest paint - so choose wisely & test them out on the lift with full lock turns L & R, & at the R fenders.

There is a Tires & Wheels nailed topic at the O&H Forum with a lot of info on tires too FYI.

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

Tom, were the Michelin 185 XWX tires originally offered as a factory option back in the day for a 914/4?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 29 2016, 04:35 PM
Post #22

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Cal @ Aug 29 2016, 02:48 PM) *

Tom, were the Michelin 185 XWX tires originally offered as a factory option back in the day for a 914/4?

Yes Cal, see the 1st of the 2 listed M471 options at Jeff Bowlsby's site at the link below:

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/OpEq.htm

I don't know offhand if nor what the specific factory option code was to order the XWX 185/75VR15 Michelins on the 15x5.5J 914/4 Alloy wheels (Fuchs 2L, Pedrini & Mahle 4-lug "Baby Gasburner" wheels), but I knew a couple of guys who got them ordered on their new 914s back in the day (a 73 2L & 74 2L on Fuchs 2L wheels).

I knew one other guy who had the dealer upgrade to them at $0 cost on a 76 2L, after I decided not to get that particular detuned GC powered 914 2L, since when I referred him, I said the dealer was desperate to move it & he got a good bargain price + XWXs & radio (DM inflation was killing all Porsche sales back then in late 73 to 76 & beyond, so they threw in stuff).

The 185/75VR15's XWX itres with dog-bone tread (& 14" counterparts for -6s with 14" Fuchs) perform very well & was THE choice of all the 914/4 & many -6 "Racer Boyz/Galz" back then, but dropped maybe 20-25% off the mpgs for street/hwy/DD use.

The Dunlop SP57 & Semperit M401/M501 165HR15 tires were like "Baby XWXs" & so performed well too, but with better DD mpg. The Blockley is a modern reproduction of those dogbone tread tires, since Dunlop & Semperit do not do theirs in repops, as you can see from the pix below.

XWX 185/70VR15 (/75 is NLA) -
Attached Image

Blockley 165/80HR15 (similar to Dunlop SP57/Semperit M401/M501) -
Attached Image

This is a Dunlop SP57 165HR15 (/80) -
Attached Image

This is my spare tire - the last of the Semperit M401 165HR15 (/80) -
Attached Image

Although each is slightly different treads, they do have a consistent tread design approach.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

+Quote Post
JamesM
post Aug 29 2016, 06:22 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(johannes @ Aug 27 2016, 09:22 AM) *

I like the 185/65. Very large choice in this size

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I have had everything from 165s to 205s on fuchs and i wouldn't go wider than a 185 again, with the 185/65 being the most available (and cheap) without going to short. If you want to spend the money the 165/80 vintage tires would be a good way to go.

Im not exactly sure what advantage people think they are getting by stuffing the largest possible tire on a 5.5" wide rim??? In my experience best performance comes from optimizing tread width to rim width, but that may all depend on your definition of "performance".

155/165a are as close to optimized as you can get but 185s are better from an availability/selection standpoint.

If you want to run a wider tire get a wider rim, 205s should be run on a 7" wide rim, running them on a 5.5" rim gives inferior handling characteristics.
+Quote Post
Jett
post Aug 29 2016, 08:05 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 17,686
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Please note that the wheels used in the shop are not mine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Regarding the suspension. We went with NOS period front Billstiens that were "freshened" by Elephant, and the entire rear setup was built by Elephant... Trying to keep the look stock but with modern performance. The car also retains its front and rear stock sway bars.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jett
post Aug 29 2016, 08:39 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(napasteve @ Aug 29 2016, 08:42 AM) *

Wow, your car looks great Jett.

Thanks!

The folks helping restore her are all passionate car enthusiasts, which always results in a quality product (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Cheers
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Aug 30 2016, 03:07 AM
Post #26

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

why would they put a v rated tire on a factory 914-4,,,H&S yes..
xwxs where on Ferraris from the factory back then..
But yes was a popular tire upgrade..back in the day

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 30 2016, 10:13 AM
Post #27

TMI....

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 30 2016, 02:07 AM) *

why would they put a v rated tire on a factory 914-4,,,H&S yes..
xwxs where on Ferraris from the factory back then..
But yes was a popular tire upgrade..back in the day
Tom how is your 914 coming along ??

I don't think they made the XWX in less than V rating, so folks who wanted them to race or do spirited street driving got them & overpaid IMHO to get them on /4s, since the Dunlop SP57s & Semperits were almost as good & plenty enough for a /4 IMHO.

My resto is coming along sloooooow - other than sourcing needed parts here & there. Just too much else going on now with my biz, house refurb/resto, family illnesses/deaths, other car stuff + hunting for a Cayenne S, etc., etc. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Jett
post Sep 6 2016, 07:50 PM
Post #28

Mounted the new tires (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Sep 6 2016, 08:39 PM
Post #29

TMI....

QUOTE(Jett @ Sep 6 2016, 06:50 PM) *

Mounted the new tires (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Nice! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Sep 6 2016, 08:51 PM
Post #30

914 Wizard

I do know that, Jett's wheels came off of a one handed(birth defect) black mans 914 ..
Bob C. Is his name he passed away, they had been in his basement a long time..he bought his 914 new and was quite a presence back in the day PCA track and autcross PNWR..

the rest of the story
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Sep 6 2016, 08:57 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263

Those look perfect.
Great size on a great looking wheel.
You'll enjoy those I'm sure.....
+Quote Post
Jett
post Sep 6 2016, 09:54 PM
Post #32

I still have those (4) rims but not yet restored (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif). The (5) rims in the picture came with the car.

Cheers

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 6 2016, 07:51 PM) *

I do know that, Jett's wheels came off of a one handed(birth defect) black mans 914 ..
Bob C. Is his name he passed away, they had been in his basement a long time..he bought his 914 new and was quite a presence back in the day PCA track and autcross PNWR..

the rest of the story

+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Sep 6 2016, 10:04 PM
Post #33

914 Wizard

..now you know the story on those at least.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:58 AM