Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> They ARE out there!
Bulldog9
post Aug 27 2016, 04:06 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,283
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Watching "Chasing Classic Cars" and this muldoon just stumbled on a 1955 Porsche 356 Continental..... Original car, sales slip in glovebox, original spare........... Good Lord.... Also in this garage is a 1953 356 that was kind of ratty, but man that 57..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 27 2016, 04:16 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

We found an all original '65 911 in a garage in wilmington Delaware. Hardly any rust. Sourounded by junk and trash.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Aug 27 2016, 10:09 PM
Post #3

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

Bought a 66 912 ago 9 yrs ago, same story. Guy was 2nd owner, bought it in 68 or 69 drove it for about 10yrs then life got in the way (wife, kids, .....).

My FIL was out to breakfast one Saturday and was wearing a 914 hat I gave him. Owner of 912 ask if he had a 914 and they got talking about cars, my sickness for anything Porsche. Guy said he was ready to sell the 912. Kids & grandkids didn't want it, hadn't ran in 25+yrs. FIL called me and we went to look at it. Took us about 2hrs to remove all the stuff stored around it. It was very complete with tool kit, original spare, paperwork, dull original green paint....... I was able to turn the engine by hand (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Made him what I felt was a fair offer at the time and it was mine.

I should have kept it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) but a few weeks after I brought it home a friend of a friend made me a cash offer I couldn't refuse and well I sold it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

They are out there. I know of a few other lost early Porsche cars in my area, but owners are not ready to sell.
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Aug 27 2016, 10:13 PM
Post #4

You bought another 914?

Oh, also found a MGA Twin Cam while looking at a 914 parts car. One owner, blah blah blah. Put him in touch with a British car collector I know and they made deal.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Aug 27 2016, 10:24 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

One of the local legends was a super rare Lola T70 that just finished 2nd (by a bumper) at the Monterrey Historics last week. The owner is a friend and a very wealthy man, bird-dogged it to a country farmer here in north Georgia. This particular car won the first Can-Am race and after restoration, Lola flew the car and John over to Goodwood - it ran the hill. I still remember him showing me pictures of this derelict car - amazing what can fall through the cracks. It is, however, a bit like winning the lottery.

Tony

This is it...crazy it was almost unrecognizable when found but John knew - owner didn't!
Attached Image

As it was found...with a bucket holding it down, on an old farm!
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Aug 27 2016, 11:51 PM
Post #6

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

A neighbor where I grew up has an '85 Vette with less than 5k miles. He bought it new and drove it one summer and parked it in a quonset hut behind his house. It's still there; I saw it 2 years ago along with a nice Rolls Royce.

This one will definitely be a garage find one day.
+Quote Post
My 914
post Aug 28 2016, 08:24 AM
Post #7

Casual Member

Member No.: 19,928
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Cracker @ Aug 28 2016, 12:24 AM) *

One of the local legends was a super rare Lola T70 that just finished 2nd (by a bumper) at the Monterrey Historics last week. The owner is a friend and a very wealthy man, bird-dogged it to a country farmer here in north Georgia. This particular car won the first Can-Am race and after restoration, Lola flew the car and John over to Goodwood - it ran the hill. I still remember him showing me pictures of this derelict car - amazing what can fall through the cracks. It is, however, a bit like winning the lottery.

Tony

This is it...crazy it was almost unrecognizable when found but John knew - owner didn't!

As it was found...with a bucket holding it down, on an old farm!

That's a great story!
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Aug 28 2016, 08:32 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 11,639

I was watching that last night. Later on on wheeler dealers they had a 914 and then a boxter s. Boxter owner thought it had a bad auto tranny so sold it for about $1500 usd. Turns out it needed a fluid and filter change.
+Quote Post
post Aug 28 2016, 09:08 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,245
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Aug 28 2016, 07:32 AM) *

I was watching that last night. Later on on wheeler dealers they had a 914 and then a boxter s. Boxter owner thought it had a bad auto tranny so sold it for about $1500 usd. Turns out it needed a fluid and filter change.

Funny , I watched that too. Correction on the Boxster S, they are in the UK...so they are referring to the English Pound...not in USD.

Back to the original post, yes they are out there. The hurdles: to locate them and "if" the owners actually want to sell at a price point that does not cost you alimony.
+Quote Post
Vapor_locked
post Aug 28 2016, 10:18 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 14,746
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I've had my fair share of finding - buying is a whole other issue, either no cash at the moment, or 'don't want to sell' - then it disappears only to have someone else having been allowed to buy it!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Aug 27 2016, 11:09 PM) *

Bought a 66 912 ago 9 yrs ago, same story. Guy was 2nd owner, bought it in 68 or 69 drove it for about 10yrs then life got in the way (wife, kids, .....).

My FIL was out to breakfast one Saturday and was wearing a 914 hat I gave him. Owner of 912 ask if he had a 914 and they got talking about cars, my sickness for anything Porsche. Guy said he was ready to sell the 912. Kids & grandkids didn't want it, hadn't ran in 25+yrs. FIL called me and we went to look at it. Took us about 2hrs to remove all the stuff stored around it. It was very complete with tool kit, original spare, paperwork, dull original green paint....... I was able to turn the engine by hand (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Made him what I felt was a fair offer at the time and it was mine.

I should have kept it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) but a few weeks after I brought it home a friend of a friend made me a cash offer I couldn't refuse and well I sold it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

They are out there. I know of a few other lost early Porsche cars in my area, but owners are not ready to sell.

Garold, was it a 3, or 5 gauge dash?
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Aug 28 2016, 03:10 PM
Post #11

You bought another 914?

QUOTE(Vapor_locked @ Aug 28 2016, 11:18 AM) *

I've had my fair share of finding - buying is a whole other issue, either no cash at the moment, or 'don't want to sell' - then it disappears only to have someone else having been allowed to buy it!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Aug 27 2016, 11:09 PM) *

Garold, was it a 3, or 5 gauge dash?

I believe it was a 5 gauge. My old man memory is starting to kick in. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Rav914
post Aug 28 2016, 03:22 PM
Post #12

All-weather fan

Member No.: 7,669

Oh yeah, they are. I bought a one owner '65 911 from the widow. They picked it up in Germany in the fall of '65 and drove it around Europe before shipping it back to Manhattan and then settling in R.I. When he passed he had a garage full of toys and the kids wanted only the muscle cars. One of his sons was my boss and knew of my plight for Porsche. It was a stunner, but took $20K to get in shape since it had been sitting for at least 20 years. Sold it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

My 914 was a purchase from the original owner too. Sat for 20+ years.

I know of a '71 914/6 and a '67 911 each sitting in garages here in town. Both are owned by hoarders who live just a couple miles from each other. Apparently the '67 911 has a plaque on the glove box saying who it was built for. I've asked to see the car but she always says, "next time".

And the 914/6 has been on jack stands since 1978!
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 28 2016, 04:02 PM
Post #13

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Rav914 @ Aug 28 2016, 02:22 PM) *
I know of a '71 914/6 and a '67 911 each sitting in garages here in town.

I know of a m471 914/6 that has been sitting in a garage for 30 years ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Rav914
post Aug 28 2016, 07:31 PM
Post #14

All-weather fan

Member No.: 7,669

Tragic!
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Aug 29 2016, 11:02 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Cracker @ Aug 28 2016, 12:24 AM) *

One of the local legends was a super rare Lola T70 that just finished 2nd (by a bumper) at the Monterrey Historics last week.

Arg... Got a soft spot for the T70.

A Ferrari 330 went up for auction a few years ago, near my grandma's farm in eastern Ky. Close enough that I've probably driven past that barn several times over the years. Closest I've ever come to to a barn find like that. If I'd only caught a glimpse while driving by...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:18 AM