Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need to vent..., Wish me luck...
zach914v8
post Aug 28 2016, 07:00 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,426
Region Association: Southwest Region

Ok. so I have not driven my car in about 3 years. The usual suspects at play here, work, family money. About 2 years ago I decided to start stock piling stuff to do the six speed set up.

So about a month ago I decided it was a good time to address some issues in the car and get all the bugs out of it, drive it a bunch, before I go with a 6 speed LS engine.

And it begins.....

Started with a carb rebuild.... new fuel tank, new fuel lines, new trans mounts, new shift rod bushings, new rad fan, new thermostat....ect

I go to drive it for the first time last night and the clutch pedal goes to the floor even before I start the car. OK, not a big deal, cable popped out at trans. Put it back on, and this time started the car.

Wont go in a single FREAKIN GEAR!!!!!! So shut the car off and start to try to see if I can get it into gear that way. Of course, no reverse, 2 or 4 with the car off. Have no idea what changed since the new shift rod worked before the bushings.

I think the clutch cable adjustment, and the shifter are both out of wack at the same time? I just want to go drive my damn car!!!!

There I'm done.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Aug 28 2016, 07:08 AM
Post #2

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(zach914v8 @ Aug 28 2016, 06:00 AM) *

Ok. so I have not driven my car in about 3 years. The usual suspects at play here, work, family money. About 2 years ago I decided to start stock piling stuff to do the six speed set up.

So about a month ago I decided it was a good time to address some issues in the car and get all the bugs out of it, drive it a bunch, before I go with a 6 speed LS engine.

And it begins.....

Started with a carb rebuild.... new fuel tank, new fuel lines, new trans mounts, new shift rod bushings, new rad fan, new thermostat....ect

I go to drive it for the first time last night and the clutch pedal goes to the floor even before I start the car. OK, not a big deal, cable popped out at trans. Put it back on, and this time started the car.

Wont go in a single FREAKIN GEAR!!!!!! So shut the car off and start to try to see if I can get it into gear that way. Of course, no reverse, 2 or 4 with the car off. Have no idea what changed since the new shift rod worked before the bushings.

I think the clutch cable adjustment, and the shifter are both out of wack at the same time? I just want to go drive my damn car!!!!

There I'm done.

I've had to realign various shifters through the years, and after new bushings, you can pretty much count on it.

You'll be driving it soon! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Aug 28 2016, 08:28 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(zach914v8 @ Aug 28 2016, 05:00 AM) *

And it begins.....

There I'm done.

At 3am on Christmas morning, finally getting to unbox the kids bicycle, totally fatigued, read the Jinglish insert....."NOTE....Assembly of bicycle require great peace of mind."
Step away, settle down, you'll get it.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Aug 28 2016, 08:38 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Zach - And for an encouraging word...one step forward, two steps back. These projects can be that way at times.

PS: I'd adjust and test your shifter with the engine off... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Tony
+Quote Post
zach914v8
post Aug 28 2016, 08:44 AM
Post #5

Lol, great piece of mind, I like that.

So far this morning I have adjusted the clutch cable and adjusted the shifter. Fingers crossed that I can go drive it. I waiting another hour to start it it because my neighbors don't like the sound of nearly open headers.

I wish I could find an alarm clock that sounded like open headers that would be a hell of a way to start your day....lol.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Aug 28 2016, 08:50 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Screw the neighbors...you live in Houston! By 12 noon you'll be bathing in your teener...get out there and test!

T

QUOTE(zach914v8 @ Aug 28 2016, 10:44 AM) *

I wish I could find an alarm clock that sounded like open headers that would be a hell of a way to start your day....lol.

+Quote Post
zach914v8
post Aug 28 2016, 09:27 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(Cracker @ Aug 28 2016, 09:50 AM) *

Screw the neighbors...you live in Houston! By 12 noon you'll be bathing in your teener...get out there and test!

T

QUOTE(zach914v8 @ Aug 28 2016, 10:44 AM) *

I partly took your advise Tony, I started it on the lift and eureka! we have gears!!!!! whoop whoop... just about to go dive this bitty.
+Quote Post
cali914
post Aug 28 2016, 09:49 AM
Post #8

cali914

Member No.: 5,934
Region Association: Northern California

Are you running the 901 currently
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Aug 28 2016, 10:38 AM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

After you "finish" the car plan to spend 3 hours of garage time to every hour of driving. Of course staring at the car in frustration is included in the garage time
+Quote Post
zach914v8
post Aug 28 2016, 10:45 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(cali914 @ Aug 28 2016, 10:49 AM) *

Are you running the 901 currently

Yes sir right now the car has a 901/914

OK, got to go drive. Took it to the local gas station to fill up and of course a cop was there to lecture me about my exhaust..... blah... is no louder than a harley so whatever. All the gears work and it goes, didn't over heat and was fun. Now I have a stuck left rear caliper to replace but I was kinda expecting that.

I will say one thing, it's not nearly as fast as I remembered. I guess working on performance cars at the shop where I am employed has desensitized me to it.

Its coming time for the 6 speed and the LS engine!!!!!
+Quote Post
zach914v8
post Aug 28 2016, 10:50 AM
Post #11

BTW, Thanks racerchris for your write up on how to adjust the shifter. My 12 y.o.son is thrilled with himself for holding the shift rod to the right whiile I tightened the shifter up. Worked like a champ and he's happy as a clam. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Aug 28 2016, 10:55 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Bah Humbug on the cop - odd. I've never been bothered - they give me the wave/thumbs up. Mine literally too loud and 3" straight pipes.

... and Chris is the man! An asset to the 914 hobby.

Tony
+Quote Post
sixaddict
post Aug 28 2016, 11:11 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 9,961

Why....... because he needs an LS to make a 914 go fast (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

QUOTE(Cracker @ Aug 28 2016, 09:55 AM) *

Bah Humbug on the cop - odd. I've never been bothered - they give me the wave/thumbs up. Mine literally too loud and 3" straight pipes.

Tony

+Quote Post
Cracker
post Aug 28 2016, 11:15 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Terry - When are you planning on going fast; joining the club? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Tony

QUOTE(sixaddict @ Aug 28 2016, 01:11 PM) *

Why....... because he needs an LS to make a 914 go fast (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

QUOTE(Cracker @ Aug 28 2016, 09:55 AM) *

Tony

+Quote Post
zach914v8
post Aug 28 2016, 11:16 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(Cracker @ Aug 28 2016, 11:55 AM) *

Tony

Well he didnt give me a ticket, I told him I could bolt in the removeable baffles.... even thougt I chucked those things years ago lol. Here are some pics of my turd out of its cave for the first time in three years.Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 28 2016, 10:23 PM
Post #16

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

Nice! Is it copper metallic? I wondered what my car would look like if it had flares!
If it's not it sure looks close to my '75's original color.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Aug 28 2016, 10:27 PM
Post #17

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431

Looks like GM Sunset Orange to me. Was one of the colors on my list. Looks good on flares. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
zach914v8
post Aug 29 2016, 06:42 AM
Post #18

Thanks guys,

Sunset orange is close, but it is gm atomic orange with a bit more gold added to it.
+Quote Post
sb914
post Aug 29 2016, 06:49 AM
Post #19

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(zach914v8 @ Aug 29 2016, 05:42 AM) *

Thanks guys,

Sunset orange is close, but it is gm atomic orange with a bit more gold added to it.

Sweet car! Looks great
+Quote Post
zach914v8
post Aug 29 2016, 07:34 AM
Post #20

QUOTE(sb914 @ Aug 29 2016, 07:49 AM) *

QUOTE(zach914v8 @ Aug 29 2016, 05:42 AM) *

Thanks guys,

Sweet car! Looks great

Thank you, still a long way from done. Need to make a giant 914rubber.com purchase. At this rate I will have a super bad ass LS powered 6 speed car by the year 2030, lol (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:22 PM