Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> F-ING A!!!!, got fired
type11969
post Apr 14 2005, 08:03 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,410
Region Association: North East States

Aaron, does your school have a work study program? At Lehigh I knew some people that were part of the work study program, they worked at the gym or something like that as a receptionist, got paid (not a whole hell of a lot, but still got paid), and, since the job was usually pretty slow, they could get a lot of work done at the same time. Kill two birds with one stone, more time to work on the 914!

Just an idea.

Also, I've found that places like Barnes and Noble usually allow you to set up a flexible schedule around school.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Apr 14 2005, 08:09 PM
Post #22

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

yeah man....i work doing networking stuff for the dorms....it's freaking cool and i get to work around classes and such! check it out. do your FAFSA though.
+Quote Post
riverman
post Apr 14 2005, 08:42 PM
Post #23

Learn As I Go

Member No.: 3,466

QUOTE (i love porsche @ Apr 14 2005, 05:23 PM)
they tell me that it isnt going to work out because i cant work on every holiday, and on wednesdays during the day, because im at school.......and thats it!
they got some imported person to slave for them, its so retarted, they could at least have been courteous and gave me a week, no, they tell me after i rush home and skipped half of class and am exhausted.....

Good life lesson. It just goes to show why you should stay in school and get a degree. That way you don't have to work for such narrow-minded, cheap-ass companies like that for the rest of your life.

Who knows, one day you could end up being your ex-boss' boss and exact some revenge of your own.

Don't worry. These things have a way of working out for the best.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Apr 14 2005, 08:47 PM
Post #24

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

It was a dead end job anyway. Your better off out of there. I have never left one job and moved down to the next. It's always a move up. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
Toast
post Apr 14 2005, 08:54 PM
Post #25

Not bad for carrying sway bars.

Member No.: 1,580
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE (i love porsche @ Apr 14 2005, 04:08 PM)
thanks guys, im gonna start looking for another job tomorrow, ups is a mabye,

UPS would be great for you. They work around your schooling, and they pay for some schooling too!! Plus they pay well, And you can get benifits after just 6 months! Check out their website.

Sorry about your job loss. Gas stations are for those........nevermind.
Good luck on your search!

Put a sign on your 914........."Will Drive for Food" (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Apr 14 2005, 09:32 PM
Post #26

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE (i love porsche @ Apr 14 2005, 05:00 PM)
....the word on the street is....civil engineers are mechanical engineers who cant stick it (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/slap.gif) but thats just what i heard through the grapevine

blow me pal......

civil engineers are Mechanical engineers on a larger scale.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/finger.gif)
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Apr 14 2005, 09:35 PM
Post #27

Shriveled member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 271
Region Association: None

When I was at Georgia Tech, some of the departments had T-shirts made...

GT Dept of Aerospace Engineering

"Well... actually I AM a rocket scientist"

GT Dept of Civil Engineering

"Civil Engineers... Erection Guaranteed!"

+Quote Post
Joe Bob
Post #28

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Too bad the gas station wasn't in CA or in MY area....I would stop by and say...."Hi, I;m from the gubmint.....i be hear to help......here hold my beer whilst I write sum stuff"

Getting laid off sucks....been 28 years since it happened to me....I still have dreams about it....
+Quote Post
MattR
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

At our school (a good one) civil engineers take: statics and materials for 4 years. Granted, they are better at statics, 2d cad and materials, but mechanical have to take statics, materials, dynamics, vibrations, circuits, differential calculus, 3d cad, and such.

Now with that said, both a civil and mechanical engineer get a degree. I dont have one, yet, so I'll shut up now.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Apr 14 2005, 09:38 PM
Post #30

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

here...

we take statics, dynamics, all sorts of vector related shit...

timber strength, concrete strength, metals.... blah.. all classes about materials....
+Quote Post
MattR
post Apr 14 2005, 09:40 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

aaron, i wasnt trying to compare among different schools. Your degree will say one thing, mine will say another. Different fields. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif)
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Apr 14 2005, 09:49 PM
Post #32

Shriveled member

Your gas station days will be but a faded memory in the long run.

Like you said... school is important.

Glad to hear you're in engineering.

I remember engineering school. I have the piece of paper on the wall to prove it. Too bad I never used one bit of all the technical crap I learned.

I remember the days of....

Long nights in the computer lab. I think I took Pascal.

20 page solutions to math problems (and then you discover a mistake on page 1)

Running all over fucking campus because you've got one class here and the other 2 miles away!

I minored in materials engineering and took a bunch of finite element analysis classes. One of the neatest classes with the helicopter structures class. We had some engineers from the Army or Air Force come in and show us test crash footage of helicopters. Saw footage of what an apache helicopter blade can do to a pilot's skull when it fractures and penetrates the cockpit. Yummy! One guy puked in class.

I took I think 5 levels of calculus, partial differential equations, dif Eqs, statics, dynamics, materials, composite materials, fia, advanced fia, a whole bunch of fluid dynamics classes, propulsion, virbration and flutter, CAD classes... blah blah...

One of my projects is still online...

http://eml.ou.edu/FE/students/W93/Ellzey/Ellzey.htm I think this was done on a Mac II!!!!!!

I don't even remember half the shit I spent 5 years studying. I couldn't integrate an equation if my life depended on it. Finally threw away all my college textbooks and notes about 7 years ago.

I did save my Senior Project was a complete aircraft design of a joint strike fighter/trainer. I think it was 315 pages of engineering.

I'm sure it would have been different had I actually gone into engineering. Graduated wrong time, wrong degree.

I even did the co-op program with Pratt & Whitney in the West Palm Military and Space Systems Division. I worked on F-15/F-16 engines. SR71 engines before it got canned, Space Shuttle fuel pumps and one semester I worked on the F22 Raptor engines while it was all still secretive. Had a Secret government clearance...

Ahh the good ole days!
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Apr 14 2005, 09:53 PM
Post #33

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Aaron... look at it this way....

When you graduate you can go to work building things..... and then people like Rusty of the PURPLE 914 blow them up.

Sorry to hear about the job, but it sounds like it sucked anyway. Find something that pays better. And after you graduate and have a very good paying job (designing targets), drive into that place, find the manager and tell him "I would buy my gas here, but you were a prick to me a few years back. Now I am working at a GOOD job, and you are still here peddling gas for the big 4.75 an hour." (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/alfred.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/happy11.gif)

Success is the best revenge!!!

+Quote Post
MattR
post Apr 14 2005, 09:57 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Geesh, you make it sound not fun. I have 2 calc classes left (both differential equations), im in my last quarter of physics (electricity and magnitism), and then its all upper div from there. Im done with statics and dynamics and one level of materials. Cad is almost completed (design project will be some nifty 914 parts (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)). The material looks really interesting to me. I dont know how I'll apply it to my ultimate goal of being a race car engineer, but Im pretty sure starting up the FSAE program here at UCI will be a good start (i just got word today we have a meeting with the factulty tomorrow). I'll wait until Ive graduated to have a cynical analysis of the public education system. For now, I'll keep my head up and take in the crap they're trying to teach me as long as I get my degree and I have time to do FSAE and 914s.
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Apr 14 2005, 10:11 PM
Post #35

Shriveled member

No... I don't use my higher education engineering classes because I ended up in the medical services field.

If you become an engineer... it WILL come in handy.

+Quote Post
BMartin914
post Apr 15 2005, 07:29 AM
Post #36

|||

Member No.: 2,128
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

In the it'll probably end up being for the best. I have dealt with convenience stores, their employees and the managers on a business level and they all seem like they are mad at the world cause they're stuck in such a shitty job. Seems like you've got a future ahead of you - you don't need those ungrateful people anyway.

UPS is good, if you've got the strength and stamina, it's definitely the place to be. I gave it a shot when I was in school, but it didn't work out. PT, full benefits, tuition reimbursement. Hard to beat. Try to get them to let you take the sorter test in the beginning. You get paid a little more and the work is a *bit* easier. Best of luck to you!
+Quote Post
i love porsche
post Apr 15 2005, 01:28 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 2,030
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Apr 14 2005, 07:32 PM)
QUOTE (i love porsche @ Apr 14 2005, 05:00 PM)
....the word on the street is....civil engineers are mechanical engineers who cant stick it (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/slap.gif)   but thats just what i heard through the grapevine

blow me pal......

civil engineers are Mechanical engineers on a larger scale.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/finger.gif)

hey now, dont shoot the messenger (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ar15.gif)

i think im gonna go for the ups bit, ill find the closest place near me and apply next week, thanks so much for all your support and help guys its really awesome

as far as my engineering classes are, im finished with physics and chem this semester, (electricity and magnetism) and ill go into calc III and stat next semester, with my first two mechanics classes, finally

i just wanna make cool things
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 06:26 PM