Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is adding an aftermarket repro AC worth it?
carcus
post Aug 28 2016, 11:39 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,760
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I see they make several kits and I know they made some for the VW bug also back in the day. Do these things actually cool the car down or just slow it down and are a waste of money? I see the kits are kind of expensive and I am sure the install costs some money also. I would think I could get an engine rebuilt or the syncros in the transaxle rebuilt for about the same price. I have never been in a 914 or seen one with AC in it. What are your opinions on getting one installed? If they do not really cool the car with cold air or bog the engine down......or just waste of money. This is for a future project.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
PancakePorsche
post Aug 29 2016, 12:42 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,373
Region Association: None

Upgraded A/C will contain late model, much more compact and efficient compressor like a Sankyo or Denso. The original York unit was a big beast and a dead dog.

I would absolutely love a nice 2.0 with air. I plan to consider using a electric compressor from a plug-in or hybrid car.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 29 2016, 01:57 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

Robs power from the engine ,expensive to fit,I don't really like A/C and happy to wind the window down ,and yes it gets hot in my part of the world.
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Aug 29 2016, 03:40 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

Our 914's were not meant to have AC. Our tops come off. AC robs engine power. My two cents.
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Aug 29 2016, 06:00 AM
Post #5

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

Depends on where you live and how you drive. If you drive it everyday in a hot environment then it would be worth it IMO. If you drive it only a few weekends out of the year then it probably doesn't make sense.

Driving 95+ heat here in the south in the middle of summer is no fun specially when you drive it daily which is why I added it to my car. I then moved to the mountains and no longer have a need for AC.
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Aug 29 2016, 07:06 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The "real feel" temp around here was well over 100 for many days this summer. I would not have been driving the 914 on those days if mine did not have air.

I have the dpd system but replaced compressor with a rotary and hoses with modern barrier hose. Kept it R12. It gets ice cold fast on hottest days. With the rotary compressor, the horsepower loss is negligible.

+Quote Post
McMark
post Aug 29 2016, 08:04 AM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Modern A/C compressors don't rob HP. They're so efficient now that the effect on the engine is negligible.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Aug 29 2016, 11:37 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I had a friend with AC back in the 70s, and it was quite nice. With the small passenger compartment, it does cool just fine.

As with all aircooled Porsches, the compressor location and hoses are more complicated than front engined cars.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Aug 29 2016, 11:45 AM
Post #9

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

AC in a car is kind of like heated seats. Many can criticize it as not needed. Until they have it in their car, then it becomes totally necessary. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
zambezi
post Aug 29 2016, 11:50 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 8,920
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Aug 29 2016, 12:45 PM) *

AC in a car is kind of like heated seats. Many can criticize it as not needed. Until they have it in their car, then it becomes totally necessary. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I agree, which is why I am doing both in my 914.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 29 2016, 12:00 PM
Post #11

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I'm doing a 6 cylinder suby swap. It will have heat and a/c. I don't care how many hoses, holes and wires it takes to make work. It's a must have in at least one of my 914's.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 29 2016, 03:25 PM
Post #12

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 29 2016, 11:00 AM) *

I'm doing a 6 cylinder suby swap. It will have heat and a/c. I don't care how many hoses, holes and wires it takes to make work. It's a must have in at least one of my 914's.

Smart man. Especially if your wife or kids are part of the scene. My wife ( who always feels a draft (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) ) was one Happy Camper @ Rt 66 this year. It was 29F the first nite and 97 on the return trip. The first nite she sat in the car with the heater and the heated seats turned on until the Motel room warmed up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
carcus
post Aug 30 2016, 01:33 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 19,760
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Thanks all for the input. Much appreciated.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Aug 30 2016, 03:59 PM
Post #14

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Fitting everything in can be a challenge. Mounting the compressor where you can get a belt to run it, while keeping it out of the way of the other critical components, can be a challenge. The dealer-installed AC hacked up the right side of the engine tin and the engine shelf, which allowed re-ingestion of heated cooling air, which isn't so great.

The bits that actually cool the air down (evaporator and fan and such) are also a bit challenging to fit. The dealer kits put the whole shebang under the dash, which makes life hard for people with big feet. Or medium-size feet, for that matter.

All that said, AC is something which a lot of us don't want to live without. I tolerate it in my 914, but not in my other cars.

--DD
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:44 AM