Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cylinder Head Temperatures, Calling on the Brain Trust and they Win!
Mblizzard
post Sep 13 2016, 12:58 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,438
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 13 2016, 09:56 AM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Sep 12 2016, 05:04 PM) *

Well it may be premature to do the happy dance but thanks to the guidance from Jake and Eric, I advanced the timing to about 30 degrees. On a short drive ran much cooler. 375 or less most of the time only approached 390 on hill climb that had previously pushed it to 400!

Oh and it seems to have a lot more power!

I think there is a bit more advance to add but after Eric's photo I wanted to be careful. AF never indicated lean conditions so I feel pretty good that it is not running too lean.

Will drive it in the heat of the day tomorrow and see if there are any changes.

That tells me that someone set the compression ratio a little low.. Since it ran cooler at 30*, now try 32*. Find a stretch of road up a hill and hold wide open to the top, do this over and over with different timing settings and advance until temps go up, you hear audible pinging, or the car feels slower.

This is how I developed engine combos and tuning for them before I had a dyno. Doing this will tell you everything about the engine.

Not sure if the compression was ever "set" I think it is just a combination of parts that was hoped to work together.

I have not hear a single ping yet. So I think 32 may be the answer.

Will try the 32 tonight. Drove to work this morning over about 20 miles and all was good. Will do the run again during the heat of the day to see if that makes any difference.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Sep 13 2016, 11:11 PM
Post #42

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095

Compression was set, it may just have fallen wherever the components lead it to.

Sad.
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Sep 14 2016, 04:19 AM
Post #43

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Sep 13 2016, 02:58 PM) *

Will try the 32 tonight. Drove to work this morning over about 20 miles and all was good. Will do the run again during the heat of the day to see if that makes any difference.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Sep 14 2016, 07:28 AM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Got confusing set of data on drive home. Car ran hotter than normal and cylinder head temps were back up. Discovered the electrical connection to the oil cooler had come off and no air was going across cooler.

I am planning to set timing to 32 n try it again.

But I am concerned as to how quickly the oil temp rose with only the stock oil cooler providing cooling.

I have reviewed and checked the cooling system tins and flaps and cant find anything that seems out of place. But it seems clear that the stock cooler is not providing sufficient cooling.
+Quote Post
HAM Inc
post Sep 14 2016, 09:20 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 6,499
Region Association: None

You may have more than one problem causing these temp issues.

Insufficient piston to cylinder clearance will cause oil temps to rise very rapidly.

Jugs that aren't normal to the crank axis due to case warpage can cause this issue too. Same effect as insufficient piston clearance.

Were these things checked carefully prior to assembly?

+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Sep 14 2016, 10:11 AM
Post #46

Advanced Member

QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Sep 14 2016, 07:20 AM) *

Insufficient piston to cylinder clearance will cause oil temps to rise very rapidly.

Jugs that aren't normal to the crank axis due to case warpage can cause this issue too. Same effect as insufficient piston clearance.

This engine was dome by Original customs. Essentially a new top end (taken to a 2056) to a good running bottom half. I am sure Mark checked the pistons and such before assembling the top half using the new AA 96 mm cylinders.

This engine has always seemed to run hotter than expected but the external oil cooler seemed to address the oil temps. When running on a 95 F day with the external oil cooler fan running, the temp will go up to the upper end of the M on the gauge but never towards overheating or pinging.

But I have always thought I hear an odd sound in the engine at times like a knock but no one else has ever been able to hear it. Could be a problem in the bottom?

My level of expertize in the recent head replacement was essentially to swap them out and make sure I had no parts left over.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Sep 14 2016, 01:47 PM
Post #47

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

AA's are noticeably noisier than the KB's in Jimmy's engine. Haven't seen any reliability issues with them, just noisier.

Speaking of KB's; report from the injector shop came back just now. #3 down in volume and spraying a straight stream. It appears that's what holed Jimmy's KB.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Sep 14 2016, 01:48 PM
Post #48

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Sep 14 2016, 09:11 AM) *

This engine was dome by Original customs. Essentially a new top end (taken to a 2056) to a good running bottom half. I am sure Mark checked the pistons and such before assembling the top half using the new AA 96 mm cylinders.

This engine has always seemed to run hotter than expected but the external oil cooler seemed to address the oil temps. When running on a 95 F day with the external oil cooler fan running, the temp will go up to the upper end of the M on the gauge but never towards overheating or pinging.

But I have always thought I hear an odd sound in the engine at times like a knock but no one else has ever been able to hear it. Could be a problem in the bottom?

My level of expertize in the recent head replacement was essentially to swap them out and make sure I had no parts left over.

So...you recently swapped out the heads? Did you set the deck height?
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Sep 14 2016, 02:13 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

QUOTE(914_teener @ Sep 14 2016, 11:48 AM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Sep 14 2016, 09:11 AM) *

So...you recently swapped out the heads? Did you set the deck height?

I hoped that it was done previously. I checked the recess on the new heads and it was reasonably close to what the previous heads were. I do not recall the exact measurements but there was actually a but less depth so if anything the deck height is higher and the compression is a bit lower.

But the temp problem predated the replacement of the heads. I replaced heads that were heat cracked so I don't think the new heads are the issue.

+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Sep 16 2016, 09:10 AM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Ok so I think I have done it all. But I was looking through the FI Trouble shooting guide and ran across this in regard to poor output excessive fuel consumption.

Defect is usually accompanied by excessive noise (droning, grinding etc.) and/or by
excessive heat development.

I did the rebuild a few years back with the DR. but I have always head a noise in the trans. I am starting to think that because this only happens at highway speeds that this could be a possibility.

Anyone got a spare good, side shift trans that they can help me before Okteenerfest prior to Wed?
+Quote Post
Wdunster
post Sep 16 2016, 09:29 AM
Post #51

Panel beater

Member No.: 17,469

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Sep 16 2016, 11:10 AM) *

Ok so I think I have done it all. But I was looking through the FI Trouble shooting guide and ran across this in regard to poor output excessive fuel consumption.

Defect is usually accompanied by excessive noise (droning, grinding etc.) and/or by

I did the rebuild a few years back with the DR. but I have always head a noise in the trans. I am starting to think that because this only happens at highway speeds that this could be a possibility.

Anyone got a spare good, side shift trans that they can help me before Okteenerfest prior to Wed?

Brother if I were closer to Nashville I would be there to help. Keep us posted!
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Sep 16 2016, 10:16 AM
Post #52

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Wdunster @ Sep 16 2016, 07:29 AM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Sep 16 2016, 11:10 AM) *

Brother if I were closer to Nashville I would be there to help. Keep us posted!

I am in Knoxville!

Think I am just going to see how it goes and if it blows it blows!
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 09:40 PM