Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is a 914 a good car for weekend / track car fun?, A bird says otherwise...
Is a 914 a good car for weekend / track car fun?
If you were in my shoes, what would you do
Dont be dumb, 914 [ 56 ] ** [80.00%]
Stay away, keep your E30 [ 7 ] ** [10.00%]
Buy a Miata [ 7 ] ** [10.00%]
Total Votes: 70
Guests cannot vote 
Cracker
post Nov 16 2016, 10:07 AM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Andyrew - Part of what you describe is simply set-up issues; others are components; and lastly, driver skill. Packing a 914 with driver aides defeats the purpose to me. Learn to use powerless brakes; steering, use the damn clutch, etc., etc. I have a couple friends with new Cayman S' with PDK = boring! I guess it depends on what each persons objective is, if you want to develop as a driver - have a car that actually requires that of you. I have a long, long way to go but my car is now capable of running with anything we usually see short of a pro-driver at the wheel. 991 cup cars included...

Either way - its still a boat load of fun - tracking in a non-prepared 914 (to me) - not so much.

Tony
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Nov 24 2016, 08:03 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Cracker @ Nov 16 2016, 08:07 AM) *

Andyrew - Part of what you describe is simply set-up issues; others are components; and lastly, driver skill. Packing a 914 with driver aides defeats the purpose to me. Learn to use powerless brakes; steering, use the damn clutch, etc., etc. I have a couple friends with new Cayman S' with PDK = boring! I guess it depends on what each persons objective is, if you want to develop as a driver - have a car that actually requires that of you. I have a long, long way to go but my car is now capable of running with anything we usually see short of a pro-driver at the wheel. 991 cup cars included...

Either way - its still a boat load of fun - tracking in a non-prepared 914 (to me) - not so much.

Tony

There's always going to be someone there who's faster than we are in our 40 year old Teeners. But, how are you doing against your past personal best? That's one key thing I'm looking at. The other big ego boost is having person after person stop by in the paddock snapping pictures, asking what's in there, shaking their heads and saying "This is the car of the day for me". I don't think that would happen at all if I were in a GT3....just sayin'.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Nov 25 2016, 08:33 AM
Post #43

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

It depends..........
A properly built 914 works fine and there are no reasons not to do it that way.
When ya get down to doing it, it is a very simple build.

Though I didn't set out this way, over a period of time I rebuilt/modified/removed everything on the car end to end.

Having a car that runs/drives is a good plan. I suffered 2 DNFs in 12 years ( both electrical issues). You'd think I would be a better driver....Oh well.

By the time I was done, IIRC , I had 2 load bearing wires in the car....that'll fixem'..
+Quote Post
brant
post Nov 28 2016, 11:38 AM
Post #44

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(brant @ Nov 15 2016, 02:46 PM) *

I don't find 914's rare at all in vintage racing....

locally there are about 6 different ones that participate and an average of 4 per a weekend...

when I go to out of state SVRA,HMSA,CSRG races there are always 2-3

and in CVAR I gather they are up to about 6 per a weekend at their vintage races...

my opinion.... all of the 914's are leaving the clubs they started with such as PCA
they are all going to vintage racing... they are more competitive with other older machinery is all...

here are a few 914's racing in action...
8 of them in this race group

there are lots of them in vintage racing still
and they are competitive, just built more authentic
(things like motor displacement, and fender/wheel sizes)

914's on the track in vintage racing!
+Quote Post
stugray
post Nov 28 2016, 02:28 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

I would disagree that 914s are not competitive.

My last race in RMVR, I actually won my class and the race with 9 other cars. (disclaimer - ONE car could have beaten me easily, but he hung back to watch the fireworks and he was forced to run on his rain tires).

My car was faster (in the straights even) than a RX7 and a Miata.

I have a 2013 Subaru BRZ, and my 914 can get better lap times than I can in it (albeit it has only had street tires while my 914 has hoosiers).
+Quote Post
garrettlee2
post Dec 20 2016, 09:19 AM
Post #46

Member No.: 14,901

I have an extra 71 if you want it. I will take a lot of love but the price is rite (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
2mAn
post Jan 6 2017, 12:49 AM
Post #47

trying to see how long I can go without a 914

Member No.: 16,644
Region Association: Southern California

Hey guys, thought I would give you a little update. I finally popped my track cherry a few weeks ago and Im preparing for a much more busy 2017. Roll bar welded in, 6point harness, Cobra fixed racing seat, plus a new SA2015 helmet & new gloves.

First a sexy shot some dude got of my car on Mulholland

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c6.staticflickr.com-16644-1483685345.1.jpg)_D8C7651-(ZF-6041-14057-1-001) by Simon Tuman, on Flickr

Heres a few of the pics from my day running with the SoCal Alfa group (AROSC)

Had to capture some pics in front of some iconic stuff
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/img.photobucket.com-16644-1483685346.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/img.photobucket.com-16644-1483685346.3.jpg)
I love this plate, its a shame that I cant use this unless Im "off-road"

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/img.photobucket.com-16644-1483685347.4.jpg)
Streets of willow is a blast with a 24v E30

Here's a few more pics my friends wife took, he has some pics too and a few videos that I need to get my hands on

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com-16644-1483685347.5.jpg)

I was loving this turn, power sliding into 3rd going up the hill

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com-16644-1483685348.6.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com-16644-1483685349.7.jpg)

Heres a few more pics that my buddy took, you can see the ass sliding out

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com-16644-1483685677.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com-16644-1483685677.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com-16644-1483685349.8.jpg)

2800fun indeed.

Ive been trying to convince my brother and my friend that we should go in on a 914 to race in Chump Car, but for now I will just keep getting more seat time in my E30
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jan 6 2017, 10:13 AM
Post #48

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21

Very cool! Congrats and see ya out at Willow Springs some day.
+Quote Post
2mAn
post Jan 6 2017, 10:46 AM
Post #49

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jan 6 2017, 08:13 AM) *

I will probably lose my sh!t if/ when I see a 914 at ANY track. I was so excited when I saw ONE at the Monterey Historics.

I will be attending the AROSC event at Willow Springs (Big Willow this time) on Feb 18. Its open to all makes, Id love to see some of you guys out there
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jan 6 2017, 06:55 PM
Post #50

I can't Re Member

QUOTE(2mAn @ Jan 6 2017, 08:46 AM) *

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jan 6 2017, 08:13 AM) *

I will probably lose my sh!t if/ when I see a 914 at ANY track. I was so excited when I saw ONE at the Monterey Historics.

I will be at Buttonwillow next weekend (1/14-15) for their racers clinic/license school and then probably at Big Willow with POC next month 2/11 and/or 2/12, then Big Willow again with VARA 3/25-26.
+Quote Post
2mAn
post Jan 8 2017, 03:04 PM
Post #51

Is the POC friendly with other makes joining in on the fun? Do I have to join POC to race with them? I would love to be on the track with P-cars
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jan 8 2017, 10:39 PM
Post #52

I can't Re Member

QUOTE(2mAn @ Jan 8 2017, 01:04 PM) *

Is the POC friendly with other makes joining in on the fun? Do I have to join POC to race with them? I would love to be on the track with P-cars

Yep, non P-cars can always run in exhibition (EX) class and there are typically at least a couple. It is a "Porsche" club however and non Porsches can't run for competitive points/trophies. I'm pretty sure they will be at Streets of Willow next weekend 1/15 when I wll be at Buttonwillow.
+Quote Post
2mAn
post Apr 28 2017, 11:40 AM
Post #53

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jan 8 2017, 09:39 PM) *

QUOTE(2mAn @ Jan 8 2017, 01:04 PM) *

Yep, non P-cars can always run in exhibition (EX) class and there are typically at least a couple. It is a "Porsche" club however and non Porsches can't run for competitive points/trophies. I'm pretty sure they will be at Streets of Willow next weekend 1/15 when I wll be at Buttonwillow.

Theres a POC event at Buttonwillow on May20/21 that Im thinking about going to. I ran at Buttonwillow on April 1 and it was a lot of fun.

Any chance you guys will be there?

Purchased this pic from the Buttonwillow event. Ive wanted a good "at-speed" pic of the car

Attached Image
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Apr 29 2017, 10:14 AM
Post #54

I can't Re Member

The POC event that weekend is actually at Willow Springs and is the big Tribute to Le Mans annual thing. It's basically a normal race weekend with a team endurance race added.

It's really unlikely I will be cleared to drive by then (ankle surgery) but I plan to at least be there, probably volunteering somehow and/or taking pics.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
2mAn
post May 2 2017, 10:47 PM
Post #55

I wonder if I can race in the 3 hour enduro? haha
+Quote Post
Alphaogre
post May 3 2017, 04:46 PM
Post #56

Member No.: 14,487

Nice!!! I have always said if I got another toy car it would be an E30... Should be a blast.

That's a great track to run for the first time...I'm going to be taking the 914 to Streets at the end of May, can't wait!
+Quote Post
2mAn
post May 11 2017, 02:23 PM
Post #57

QUOTE(Alphaogre @ May 3 2017, 03:46 PM) *

Nice!!! I have always said if I got another toy car it would be an E30... Should be a blast.

That's a great track to run for the first time...I'm going to be taking the 914 to Streets at the end of May, can't wait!

Looks like I will be there on the Saturday so that I can watch the Enduro. I cant compete in it yet, but I will get to play in Time Attack Group 2. Mostly 911's in that group so I get to pick on the taildraggers

Anyone else going to be there?
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post May 11 2017, 07:35 PM
Post #58

I can't Re Member

QUOTE(2mAn @ May 11 2017, 01:23 PM) *

Looks like I will be there on the Saturday so that I can watch the Enduro. I cant compete in it yet, but I will get to play in Time Attack Group 2. Mostly 911's in that group so I get to pick on the taildraggers

Anyone else going to be there?

I will almost certainly be there and probably working as a pit marshall and/or shooting photos. (I still can't drive due to my ankle.) Would be great to meet you.

+Quote Post
2mAn
post May 11 2017, 07:40 PM
Post #59

QUOTE(campbellcj @ May 11 2017, 06:35 PM) *

I will almost certainly be there and probably working as a pit marshall and/or shooting photos. (I still can't drive due to my ankle.) Would be great to meet you.

I look forward to meeting you!.... and also the pics you'll take of my car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
Alphaogre
post May 15 2017, 01:50 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 14,487

They said that the Tribute to Le Mans will Saturday evening at the big track, I will be looking to head over there and watch after our sessions over at Streets....

Definitely say hi i'm giant and don't look like I'd fit in a 914 at all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:22 PM