Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> MSD 6A with Pertronix, Hook up question
Sparky
post Apr 15 2005, 10:08 AM
Post #1

Mahna Mahna!

Group: Members
Member No.: 847

So I'm hooking up the MSD I had in my 944, this is a known good unit sent it to MSD and had it tested. Here are my questions:

I'm using a Pertronix Ignitor not points:

When hooking up based on the docs from MSD I've connected the black(ground) from the Pertronix to the White wire ( points trigger) on the MSD. No spark.

Tested the MSD, coil wire held 1/4" from ground and white wire tapped to ground pull white wire away nice sparkage!! Ok based on MSD notes this is a valid test and proves coil s producing spark.

Am I using the wrong wire for the Pertronix? What do I do with the red wire from the Pertronix?

Damn I miss the one wire hook up from the 944...

My best,
Mike D. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Sparky
post Apr 15 2005, 10:26 AM
Post #2

Mahna Mahna!

A little help please... Anyone? Hello? I've got a short window to play in here as the wife is making me pack for vacation. Was hoping to wrap this up before hand.

Thanks!
Mike D.
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Apr 15 2005, 10:30 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

That sounds right to me.

Did you connect the red wire of the Pertronix to a switched 12V source?

Also the coil wires for the MSD should be the ONLY wires connected to the coil. The switched +12V wire that used to go to the + terminal of the coil should now be connected to the Pertronix. The tach wire will need to be connected to the white wire of the MSD as well as a tach adapter.

Did the car run with the Pertronix alone?

+Quote Post
Sparky
post Apr 15 2005, 10:43 AM
Post #4

Mahna Mahna!

Ran fine with just the Pertronix. I forgot to hook the pertronix to a switched 12V. Dooh. Gonna run out and try that now.

Thanks!
Mike D.
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Apr 15 2005, 10:59 AM
Post #5

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE (Sparky @ Apr 15 2005, 11:26 AM)
Posted: Apr 15 2005, 11:08 AM

Posted: Apr 15 2005, 11:26 AM
( 18 minutes later )
A little help please...

if we are reaching the point where people are EXPECTING real-time assistance for every weird-ass modification issue that may come up, the stage is being set for lots of disappointed customers.

boys and girls - when you signed up - did you pay for the 24-hour real-time assistance package? then don't be too pissed off if you don't get an IMMEDIATE response...

"lack of planning (or failure to read the instructions...) on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part..."

not trying to beat you up, Mike, just a little spring-loaded to pissed off myself after seeing how big a check i have to write to the government...
+Quote Post
Sparky
post Apr 15 2005, 11:22 AM
Post #6

Mahna Mahna!

Rich - Need a hug?

I knew I was pushing it a little but the wife is all over my a$$ to get out of the garage and finish packing. We head out for the 20 hour drive to Disney as soon as I get back in from the office at midnight. That now leaves me 42 minutes to pack my stuff, and then head out for the office. No sweat.

After I fixed my sillya$$ed mistake it now idles much smoother and I may run it to work. Need to check the projected temps for tonight first. I've got no heat and Mass still gets cold at night this time of year. An hour and 20 miute drive on the highway without heat might get a little rough.

Ohh and I got a fat refund this year! WoooHooo!!!!

My best,
Mike D.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 05:26 PM