Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Long term value question, sorry - long post....
Scott S
post Apr 15 2005, 12:29 PM
Post #1

Small Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 633

I drive my 914 very little - maybe a thousand miles per year at the absolute most. I am pondering a few different options - selling it and getting a boxster, starting over and going nuts on the details, or selling it and restoring a audi turbo quattro coupe.
My reasoning behind the Boxster is that I would be able to drive it more as a summer daily driver. I consider a boxster to be more of a honda - not as fragile, all the amenities, etc. I would alos look at it as a long term purchase - somthing to hold on to for the next 30 years - upkeeping it in my usual anal fashion. However, my practical side says I am kidding myself, and that I probably would not drive it all that much - so I am back to ground zero. I need a toy car to play with once in a while, work on, etc. The wear and tear put on a daily driver would drive me nuts.

The Audi Ur Quattro was one of my dream cars. I would not hot rod the thing, I would want to restore it as perfect as I could - in white of course. I think that the audi will be worth something in 30 years.

The 914....
My car, like most, is a 4 banger. In 30 years, the factory 6 will be worth quite a bit. A concour 4 will probably do quite well on its own as well. Where will a modified car fit in? I love flared 914's. Heck, I may even do a six coversion. I really love the look of old race cars. So if I have a four banger, that is converted to a GT (or even a made into a steel hardtop 916 replica) where will it go/fit in after 20- 30 years?

Replica GT350 mustangs were pulling close to 80-90 grand at Barret Jackson....
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
TROJANMAN
post Apr 15 2005, 12:38 PM
Post #2

Looks nice in pictures.........

Member No.: 1,753
Region Association: None

QUOTE (Scott Schroeder @ Apr 15 2005, 10:29 AM)
I need a toy car to play with once in a while, work on, etc.

i'll give you my address and you can come work on mine :lol2:if i could, i think i would probably try and sell mine, and get a real 6. but that's just me. i think that a 914-6 will be worth more than that audi your thinking about. and a boxster won't give you the same second looks you get driving a 914.
+Quote Post
BMartin914
post Apr 15 2005, 01:38 PM
Post #3

|||

Member No.: 2,128
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

But you have the factory GT Scott! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

You should keep the Martini car because it rocks! Maybe you could put a 6 in it 3.2? Make it totally bitchin! I would just hate to see you get rid of the Martini car unless it went to one of the local guys so we could still see it every now and again. I know, I'm selfish with your car. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Apr 15 2005, 01:47 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Keep the car Scott. It will end up with a 6 in it sooner or later. The Boxster prices have tanked.. they wont recover.

Here is my take: It is up to US to make the 914's have any real value. I would love to see 73/74 2.0's in "good" condition going for 20k. I believe we will see it within the next 5 years. They are not getting any easier to find.. and "good" examples that havent been molested are even more rare.

B
+Quote Post
914werke
post Apr 15 2005, 01:55 PM
Post #5

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

i think that a 914-6 will be worth more than that audi your thinking about

Dissagree with that statement (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)
The UrQ was a Rally CHAMPION. No /6 ever achieved that status.
+Quote Post
ninefourteener
post Apr 15 2005, 01:58 PM
Post #6

Perfectly Normal Guy :)

Member No.: 779

I run into the same problem quite often.

My problem is that I just don't think I have the $$$ to support all the things I want, or want to do. Perhaps I'm just spend-happy and get bored easily. Perhaps you are the same?

I love the teener..... but I want more power. I can't afford a 6.

If I had infinate funds..... it would be a 450 hp chevy 350, with a 5-lug 18 inch wheel, flares, big brakes, etc.

Or should I just trade it in and go back to my GM roots with another 2nd generation Trans Am? (I've owned/restored 6 of them).

Or perhaps a late 60's elcamino??... I like those too.

Perhaps I sell the 914, use the profits and Trade-in the Acura RSX to get into a top of the line WRX or a Mitsubishi Evolution?

Or sell the 914.... and wait for a V-8 fixer-upper to come along on ebay that is "closer" to what I really like?

Or............. I could just listen to the advice of my girlfriend when she sees the smile on my face when I catch people eyeballing the car and chanting "whoa".

"You've got a great looking, great driving classic car that very few people own..... why not just hang onto it?"

I can't give you advice..... I have the same feelings. Just so you know.. you're not alone though. But I do know that since Spring has it..... and I'm out in the teener more often... the less I want to sell it.

I bought mine because I love the feeling of a simplistic, open-air roadster, with a peculiar body style that is not easily recognizeable, and draws a lot of attention. We all bought our cars for reason simliar to mine. Are you sure you're not going to miss it if you get rid of it?

I'm not sure. Are you?

Best of luck... Matt (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Kargeek
post Apr 15 2005, 02:06 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 430

I agree with Mr. Roberts- keep it and I say get the Audi anyway. You can't have too many cars to play with. So what if you only drive it 1,000 a year- its still about the emotion of owing it and driving it when you do.

Forget about restoring cars as an investment- unless you are buying them already done then, holding for apprecation in value and then selling.

I too think that prices on our cars will be going up.

DH

+Quote Post
ninefourteener
post Apr 15 2005, 02:09 PM
Post #8

Perfectly Normal Guy :)

Member No.: 779

A quick little hijack..... only just this once.. promise.

Hey Kargeek..... I really dig the louvers in your Rocker panels..... looks quite cool. Do they serve a purpose?

Can you do mine? LOL

Hijack over (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Apr 15 2005, 02:11 PM
Post #9

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24

One of these?
I toy with selling the 914 nearly every year but once I drive it I keep. Now, I am rebuilding the 2056 engine and gathering parts for the 2.4L. I guess thats what keeps me coming back is the fun of fixing and modifing these cars.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Kargeek
post Apr 15 2005, 02:17 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 430

You mean my Cheese Graters? I tend to get heat from some of the members on them. Like are they for cooling my Longs? How about for cooling my swing arm bushings?

No, they are just for looks - a styling exercise for a mid engined car.

DH
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 15 2005, 02:28 PM
Post #11

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (rdauenhauer @ Apr 15 2005, 12:55 PM)
i think that a 914-6 will be worth more than that audi your thinking about

Dissagree with that statement (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)
The UrQ was a Rally CHAMPION. No /6 ever achieved that status.

a perfectly restored Quattro might get fetch more money, but it's a much, much smaller market...as to the "champion" claim??? who cares??? does it really ad value to the car or is it just bragging rights when sitting around drinking a beer??? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914werke
post Apr 15 2005, 02:40 PM
Post #12

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

Just pointing out the "value" angle of the argument. Value in collectible sports cars usually is based on Limited # in production run, and pedigree/sucess in racing series.
Based on that criteria the UrQ stands on its own. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
BOT Keep the teener~! Get the UrQ as well (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif) ..if you have room (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
davep
post Apr 15 2005, 02:50 PM
Post #13

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

I still think the 914 is a good choice. Both for the car and the support group around it.
The car is a fun, excellent handling platform that needs extra power. Power is easy to come by, just bring cash. The number of modifications/ upgrades possible is astounding. Personally, I like the styling, and the GT look really gets me going. I think a car that has stock (original or GT) styling will always be popular and a decent investment. You don't need an original six to start with. As a fun toy for special occasions I think it is great. I can't toss my addiction after 30 years.
+Quote Post
Scott S
post Apr 15 2005, 03:47 PM
Post #14

Small Member

Member No.: 633

Thanks all - it stays.

I am getting ready to start an addition to my future home (it is currently my fiance's home). Unfortunately, it will still only have a two car garage. Once it is done next spring, I will start disassembling the the car. After Gints results, I think I need to talk to Eric Shea about a few things.

I want the car it's original color - the lighter orange - which is perfect as it was the color of my dads 6 back when I was a kid. White gumballs on the doors, steel flairs, GT bumpers, and a 3.0 six built for longevity.
I want to do all of the details - fiberglass lids, big fuel tank, etc, etc, etc.

Once the body is re-done - i will simply view it as a giant model car, and will finish it as time and money permits.
+Quote Post
brant
post Apr 15 2005, 04:21 PM
Post #15

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Scott,

although I've been quiet.. I was reading a long.
sounds like you've already made up your mind.
congrats!

brant
+Quote Post
Seagrave
post Apr 15 2005, 10:00 PM
Post #16

Gutenfest Touring Society

Member No.: 963

Your 914 is already paid for. Insurance is cheap, especially with low mileage. Assuming the biggest problem you might have is storage, why not keep it anyway? Although there are 914 lovers, they are not a large population. The car is one that you have to love, pimples and all. Their value is only to other fans of the car. They are not a good investment for your retirement. If you like the car, keep it. It cannot be that much out of your overall budget to do so.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Apr 15 2005, 10:31 PM
Post #17

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12

The value of the 914 will rise because there will be a limited number of them available in the coming years, ala the Sawzall.
The more that are cutup the less there are to put on the roads. So, if you have a good one hang on to it.

Auctions are not the deifintive answer whan it comes to the value of a car. Barret Jackson, ebay, Silver, R&M, Russo, All very fine vehicles to help sell a car and to try to get the seller the maximum price for his car. There are so many variables that they are just not accurate in saying that, "one sold at BJ in Scottsdale in 2005, that means mine must be worth that much also".
CCLINCAMPMARKETREPORT
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Apr 16 2005, 02:41 AM
Post #18

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

My projections for the next 5-10 years:

Gas will be 5-7 bucks a gallon.
Folks will be using Pick-em -up-trucks as they were meant to be used.....dump runs, tow rigs, van pools... and they'll mostly be mini trucks.

Cars as an investment will tank.....it's happened before.
Cool cars will maintain some premium.....not many cool cars out there....ultra exotics like the 250 TR down to the gull wings.

Liberals will jump on the gas crunch and ride the constantly increases to power. Racing will be outlawed.....by then I'll be daid or too old to give a shit.

Enjoy what time we and our cars have left.
+Quote Post
brer
post Apr 16 2005, 02:19 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,736

I've always thought the first generation BMW M3 was a good candidate for investment.

First 2 wheel drive car to win in Rallying in many years, at that time.

And the flares are cool.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Apr 17 2005, 07:52 AM
Post #20

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

After Gints results, I think I need to talk to Eric Shea about a few things.

Bring it on... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2024 - 11:19 PM