Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Anybody done this swap?, 1.8T + Transmission out of VW Passat
cdmcse
post Apr 15 2005, 02:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,305

The engine in a newer vw passat is a longitudinal mount with front wheel drive. The tranny is similar to a 901 setup. Anybody used this engine and tranny combo in a 914? Will it fit?

(IMG:http://i21.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/70/3d/f7_1_b.JPG)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
lapuwali
post Apr 15 2005, 02:05 PM
Post #2

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

I'll bet that's the same or very similar to the Audi gearbox others have mentioned recently. Neo914 is doing a V6 swap out of an Audi, and I think he's using the gearbox, too.
+Quote Post
andys
post Apr 15 2005, 02:17 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721
Region Association: None

QUOTE (lapuwali @ Apr 15 2005, 12:05 PM)
I'll bet that's the same or very similar to the Audi gearbox others have mentioned recently. Neo914 is doing a V6 swap out of an Audi, and I think he's using the gearbox, too.

That's the model 012 Audi A4,6,8/Passat transaxle used from about '97 up. Depending on which code, it can have some very decent ratio's. I'll say again, that this 1.8T is an interesting swap, if it fits. Nice modern drivetrain, IMHO.

Andy
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 15 2005, 02:17 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

been done...twice

1st one is a tube frame car (pictures posted here somewhere)

2nd one is street car...just looked at it last week, no pictures, it started to rain....

amazingly, he was able to use 911 axles and they bolted right up to the audi gear box....he has not driven the car yet, working on the cable shifting for the gear box.
+Quote Post
Foxman
post Apr 15 2005, 02:38 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,778

I can vouch for the reliability and tunability of the 1.8T engine from first-hand experience. I just sold a '01 Jetta 1.8T that had 350HP about a month ago and my wife's GTI has a 1.8T in it. If you can do the swap, I say go for it. I would be interested in doing this also in the future. Keep us posted if you do it.
+Quote Post
andys
post Apr 15 2005, 02:39 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Mueller @ Apr 15 2005, 12:17 PM)
been done...twice

1st one is a tube frame car (pictures posted here somewhere)

2nd one is street car...just looked at it last week, no pictures, it started to rain....

amazingly, he was able to use 911 axles and they bolted right up to the audi gear box....he has not driven the car yet, working on the cable shifting for the gear box.

Mueller,

I'd love to see some pic's of that installation if and when that's possible. 911 axles, huh; nice to know they bolt up. I recall (I'm stretching here) that the 012 transaxle output flanges are assymetric to the input shaft axis. Of course one could simply offset mount the whole motor/trans to compensate, so it's not a big deal. Did the street car have a front mounted radiator?

Andy
+Quote Post
flyloki
post Apr 15 2005, 02:42 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,264

I'm planning on doing this swap or a TDI swap with same tranny. That's great to hear about the 911 axles, what year were they out of or does it make a difference?

As far as the cable shifter, I hope to use one from a Boxter. I've looked at the B4 Passat/Audi tranny and it looks identical to the Boxter 5 spd. Can anyone confirm this?
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 15 2005, 02:54 PM
Post #8

914 Freak!

QUOTE (flyloki @ Apr 15 2005, 01:42 PM)
As far as the cable shifter, I hope to use one from a Boxter. I've looked at the B4 Passat/Audi tranny and it looks identical to the Boxter 5 spd. Can anyone confirm this?

the audi/passat gearbox is basicly a tailshifter with a single rod that protrudes from the backside of the box, the shifting will be similar to a 915 or 930 gearbox

the one Boxster transmission I've seen, is more of a sideshifter and would be a little easier to implement since you should be able to use the Boxster shifter and cables.

+Quote Post
75boxster
post Apr 15 2005, 03:06 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 1,488

SKS on Audiworld did the tube frame 914. He told me he bolted up the Boxster shifter
right up to the A6 tranny he was using. I believe the A4/Passat 012 is externally is very
much the same. You will also have to figure out the hydraulic clutch the 012 operates with.

Just some quick measurements:

012 - engine mount to center line of output flange 7.25"
012 - Total transmission length 24"

901 - engine mount to center line of output flange 8.00"
901 - Total transmission lenth 23"

I have the two of these trannys sitting in the garage so if anyone need more
measurements just say so (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 15 2005, 03:18 PM
Post #10

914 Freak!

how is the 012 shifted??

is there a single rod in the back or 2 levers on the side?

the early Boxsters have 2 levers on the side

the Audi box in Sonus car has a single rod on the back of the transmission
+Quote Post
andys
post Apr 15 2005, 03:34 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

75boxster,

Does the 012 have the clutch slave cylinder that has a plastic housing. If so, what type of coupling or hose atttaches to it? My 01E 6 speed has the plastic one, and short of buying an expensive factory hose assembly, I'd like some idea of what it is and where I can buy just the mating fitting.

The 5 speed Boxster sure *looks* similar to the 012, and the listed ratios are identical to of some Audi/Passat.

Flyloki,

If you go with a TDI, try to locate a Euro version; it is commonly available with a six speed.

Andy
+Quote Post
flyloki
post Apr 15 2005, 03:40 PM
Post #12

Here's an ebay pic from a few weeks ago

It was titled 97-04 Boxter trans, I'm not sure if that was the Date of manufacture or just some other number.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
flyloki
post Apr 15 2005, 03:51 PM
Post #13

I assume the 6spd TDI came in euro Passat/A4/A6? Know what years in particular? I can't use Golf /Jetta /Bora /Beetle due to transverse layout.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 15 2005, 04:07 PM
Post #14

914 Freak!

Boxster "S" transmission:

note two levers on the side of the transmission

(IMG:http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads3/Boxster_Transmssion_7+2+2004_06_small1088861960.jpg)
+Quote Post
cdmcse
post Apr 15 2005, 04:36 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 3,305

I think if I was going to do it I would just locate a complete engine and tranny Together from a passat or just get a whole wrecked car.. That seems to cheapest set-up.

Is there a particular year that is better to look for to get the best reliablility or gear ratios?

+Quote Post
cha914
post Apr 15 2005, 04:42 PM
Post #16

MUSR 8 - 5lug conversion done wed - drive 500miles thrus

Member No.: 63

ooo...got any more pics of that car? I guess I missed that thread.

Tony
+Quote Post
flyloki
post Apr 15 2005, 04:45 PM
Post #17

The engine/trans combo set up would be preferable for myself as well; especially if I do the TDI swap. The lower revving TDI would do much better with correct ratios.

Otherwise you may want to consider the boxter trans if the cable shifter setup is bolt on. IIRC the Boxter 5spds were not very spendy and may (can anyone comment here) have LSD.
+Quote Post
andys
post Apr 15 2005, 04:50 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (flyloki @ Apr 15 2005, 01:51 PM)
I assume the 6spd TDI came in euro Passat/A4/A6? Know what years in particular? I can't use Golf /Jetta /Bora /Beetle due to transverse layout.

Correct, Euro TDI. My database is gone, but from memory, all the later 6 speed TDI models started somewhere around '96.......Stay with the later versions ('99+), as they introduced an upgraded stronger 1st gear that was otherwise prone to breakage. Some early versions of the 01E were 5 speeds.

Andy
+Quote Post
75boxster
post Apr 15 2005, 07:26 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 1,488

As far as VW/Audi 012's go, an early setup 97-99.5 would be my choice as the AEB motors are drive by cable
so wiring would be easier and the pre 99.5 012's are slightly cheaper to put a Quaife in. Tranny is plenty strong
as I also had over 300hp in my Passat and never had a problem related to the hight HP. The AEB head also seems
to possibly have more potential for HP with bigger ports.

I remember the slave cylinder being plastic with a small section of steel pipe coming out of it
and then transitioning to rubber hose.
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Apr 15 2005, 08:14 PM
Post #20

neo life

Member No.: 159

QUOTE (lapuwali @ Apr 15 2005, 12:05 PM)

search 1.8t 914 in the classifieds, Sonu is selling his current chassis because he just bought a car with a nicer body to transplant his Audi drivetrain. As I recall he did drive it behind his house... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) I like the 1.8t alot but would like to tread new waters and Neo914 is a concept car...If Jason was further along I'd go boxster but I didn't want the engine conversion to modify the rear suspension. That's why I got the track car.

I have the boxster 5 speed with cable shift. I can't test fit them until after WCC05 since my garage is full with my V8 car and it's hot engine. The Audi parts are all over the place.

My Neo914 chassis won't be back from Washington until early next month. I'll trial fit the drivetrain and fab the mounts then. Stay tuned...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 05:31 AM