Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> The return of the 914 Flat Tow Bracket! NEW!, * Featured Product *
914werke
post Sep 9 2016, 01:48 PM
Post #1

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Group: Members
Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I'm in the process of manufacturing a new version of the very popular & now defunct Flat Tow Brkt.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
I'm updating it and will make it available, alone, or as part of a tow kit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Made specifically for the 914. They are now heavy duty steel angle cross bar design rather than flat bar. This provides this version a couple key advantages IMHO:

1st. Strength. An angle is inherently more ridged that a flat piece of the same dimension.
2nd. Geometry. The new x-bar also allows the pin lynch points to be about 1" lower then before (while actually improving its strength).
3rd. Convenience. One of the few complaints I had with the original version was the need to carry its associated hardware independent of the bracket. Now it has mount points to carry the included bolts & spacers.
4th. Features. Offered before only as an add on for additional cost, this version also includes boss'es for safety chains

As I described above, when mounted, due to its tight proximity to the tub, the original location of the pin lynch points was a bit of a challenge because you HAD to remove your front spoiler or risk damaging it when towing.
With my new design if you run one of the various "LE" style FG spoilers, this should no longer be a concern (with properly setup hitch & tow bar geometry!).

*If you still run the OE steel valance it will still be necessary to remove before use.

You can still use either the Beetle or V style adj. tow bar, though the first offered will be for the V style or with my "kit".

The fist batch is limited # of units. I am offering them at the GROUP BUY rate of $100.00 + ship. Once those are sold the standard rate will be $159.00 +ship for the universal bar/bracket.

They are a quality product, that has been fully tested on my own cars. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

I owned the original bar since 2006 & cant count the # of times I've used it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Who needs a Bracket? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(40 - 43)
914werke
post Sep 14 2016, 10:52 PM
Post #41

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Sep 14 2016, 05:34 PM) *
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 14 2016, 05:52 PM) *
Ahhh... gotcha. Just the bracket, the tow bar comes from others. Danke.
Rich, Please let us know which tow bar you use for "compatibility" reasons.

Mike I use the V or Draw-Tite style. My LE runs 60 series tires and is lowered slightly, but nowhere as serious as some. I find I have to use a 6 or 8" (I forget) drop receiver on my Trk. to get the bar as close to parallel as I can.
I saw JRust towing with a setup similar and his (tow) bar was ground down because the bracket is so low.

That is one of the reasons I chose the V style. The Super Beetle bar has about a 6" drop but the (pin) mounts raise back up at the bar end 2".
The V bar mounts straight out from the bracket tangs.
The other reason is you can simply fold it up & throw it in one of the trunks if you need to. You cant do that with the Super Beetle bar. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
914werke
post Sep 14 2016, 11:08 PM
Post #42

maybe this will help visualize. Doesn't show it very well in this drawing but the bars actually swoop down from the hitch a good amount that is partially recovered by the tangs at the ends of the tubes

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 1 2016, 09:25 AM
Post #43

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

I was looking up flat tow brake systems and found this. This could work really well for our system. Very mechanical with little to fail.

http://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Braking-Sy...VkRoBoCotfw_wcB
+Quote Post
914werke
post Sep 19 2020, 03:13 PM
Post #44

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 10:55 PM