Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Three Handy Glovebox Tools, Don't leave home without 'em!
pbanders
post Sep 21 2016, 08:09 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 805

Ever been driving your 914 down the road and suddenly find yourself on the side of the road with your head in the engine bay, trying to figure out why it's stopped running? Yeah, sounds unlikely I know, it's only happened to me a few dozen times. Often, the cause is something very simple that if you just had a couple of tools, you could figure it out. Here are three I keep in my car that have helped me out more than once. The examples with links to Amazon cost less than $25 total.

Bosch "noid" light: unplug connector to an injector and plug the noid light into the connector, flashes if it's getting an injection pulse. If all four check out, your ECU, trigger contact points, and wiring harness/grounds are working. $6

https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-25141-Noid-...C/dp/B004FELH04

Firing indicator: Place grooved end against spark plug wires and coil wires, light flashes if you're getting spark. If they all check out, your dizzy, points, cap, rotor, wires, coil, and condenser (or your electronic ignition) are working. $9

https://www.amazon.com/all-sun-Portable-Aut.../dp/B013JGEWLY/

There are also fancier versions of the firing indicator that have LED's and a battery and cost about $30, IMO, it's wasted money, they don't tell you much more than the cheap $9 one does.

Multimeter: Mine is ancient but still works fine. I keep my fancy DMM's at home. You can test for tons of stuff with a multimeter. Check your battery, wire continuity, see if voltage is present, check bulbs to see if they're blown, etc. Indispensable. $7, you can spend more, but for quick diagnostics this is all you need. This one has cheap leads, if you want to spend more, buy some decent leads.

https://www.amazon.com/General-Hand-held-Mu.../dp/B00066ZZO4/

Here's a pic of my set of these tools, had them in my glovebox for the past 20+ years. I also have a spare clutch cable and throttle cable in the well of the spare in the front trunk, as well as tools to install them if needed. Also a full set of fuses and a spare relay in the glove box, too.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
pbanders   Three Handy Glovebox Tools   Sep 21 2016, 08:09 AM
Cairo94507   Nice tips. :trophy:   Sep 21 2016, 08:38 AM
sb914   And most importantly   Sep 21 2016, 08:42 AM
JustinMeier   All 3 are in my Amazon cart now.. Thanks! AAA...   Sep 21 2016, 09:36 AM
barefoot   Good stuff, BTW Harbor freight gives multimeters ...   Sep 21 2016, 09:37 AM
Big Len   Placed the order, good advice, thanks.   Sep 21 2016, 11:24 AM
rgalla9146   #4, cellphone   Sep 21 2016, 11:29 AM
Big Len   #4, cellphone Yes......to call YOU.   Sep 21 2016, 04:09 PM
76-914   I have the exact same Multimeter. Bought it for my...   Sep 21 2016, 01:16 PM
pbanders   I agree, AAA card and a cellphone make it 5 things...   Sep 21 2016, 01:27 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 09:56 AM