Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Porsche in the woods you say?
Unobtanium-inc
post Sep 22 2016, 06:56 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,276
Region Association: None

Accessible only by ATV you say? I know it's not a 914, but thought you guys might like to see one more saved, in this case an early Pre-A.
KTF-
Adam

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Sep 22 2016, 06:59 PM
Post #2

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

It's amazing the cars that are being discovered these days. What's even more amazing is that someone will undertake a restoration on cars like that!
+Quote Post
keely444
post Sep 22 2016, 07:03 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 18,702

Very cool find.What is next?
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Sep 22 2016, 07:03 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Sep 22 2016, 04:59 PM) *

It's amazing the cars that are being discovered these days. What's even more amazing is that someone will undertake a restoration on cars like that!

The upside of a car like this in the hundreds of thousands, that leaves a lot of room for a restoration. Most likely it will go to Europe then be sent to one of the cheap metal masters in Eastern Europe and come back west for engine/paint and interior.
+Quote Post
siverson
post Sep 22 2016, 07:12 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 654
Region Association: Southern California

That is really cool.

-Steve
+Quote Post
mangrum
post Sep 23 2016, 10:31 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,134

It's always good to hear of rescuing these cars.

If it is truly an early Pre-A then it's uber rare and potentially very valuable. I believe, however, that early Pre-As were split windshield. Or at least bent windshield. But I don't see that.

Good luck!

Mike
+Quote Post
iwanta914-6
post Sep 23 2016, 10:43 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 10,510

How on earth do you find them?

Do you have to know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy that remembers a story about some other guy that said as a kid saw something buried in the middle of the woods that kind of looked like a 356?
+Quote Post
bretth
post Sep 23 2016, 10:49 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 18,882
Region Association: Southwest Region

Awesome find. Damn kids jumped on the poor car's roof.

Brett
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Sep 23 2016, 11:07 AM
Post #9

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Was talking with a local 356 restore guy just this week. I haven't seen a 356 not worth saving. If it still has a VIN you can read somewhere, it's worth saving.
+Quote Post
relentless
post Sep 23 2016, 11:20 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 7,636

Somewhere over near Keno, Oregon, there was a 356 sitting somewhat near a house literally going back into the earth. I saw it in the late '70's and was told the owner bought it for his wife, and when she died the car was never driven again. A sad fate for at the time a complete example.
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Sep 23 2016, 02:47 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

At that point, you're just restoring it as a template to create a new car. It reminds my of the Stephen Wright joke (paraphrased), last night someone snuck into my garage and replaced all my cars with identical copies.
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Sep 23 2016, 09:46 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

QUOTE(mbseto @ Sep 23 2016, 12:47 PM) *

At that point, you're just restoring it as a template to create a new car. It reminds my of the Stephen Wright joke (paraphrased), last night someone snuck into my garage and replaced all my cars with identical copies.

Matt is right, what you have here is some metal that bears a strong resemblance to an early 356. When that car is reconfigured with new reproduction sheetmetal, period-correct interior components, and hard and soft trim items, virtually the only original piece on the car will be the VIN.

When it is completed, it will be no more a PORSCHE than the Beck 550 spyders or 356 Speedsters.

Someone with more money than sense will spend far too much money on what amounts to a reproduction automobile rather than a restored vehicle or even a "tribute" or "clone", since there will be virtually no Porsche DNA left in the final product.

And the final bit of irony is that the final purchaser of that "reconfiguration" will look down on a 914 and think that the 914 is "not a real Porsche".

Paul
+Quote Post
Catorse
post Sep 23 2016, 10:39 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 19,106
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Sep 23 2016, 08:46 PM) *

QUOTE(mbseto @ Sep 23 2016, 12:47 PM) *

Matt is right, what you have here is some metal that bears a strong resemblance to an early 356. When that car is reconfigured with new reproduction sheetmetal, period-correct interior components, and hard and soft trim items, virtually the only original piece on the car will be the VIN.

When it is completed, it will be no more a PORSCHE than the Beck 550 spyders or 356 Speedsters.

Someone with more money than sense will spend far too much money on what amounts to a reproduction automobile rather than a restored vehicle or even a "tribute" or "clone", since there will be virtually no Porsche DNA left in the final product.

And the final bit of irony is that the final purchaser of that "reconfiguration" will look down on a 914 and think that the 914 is "not a real Porsche".

Paul

Wow, you have a chip on your shoulder the size of Rhode Island. Get over yourself, lots of people like both the 356 and 914s equally. I have never heard a 356 owner disparage a 914 either.

and YES I own a 356 and a 914 as well as some other Porsches.

And yes they are all Porsches!
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Sep 23 2016, 11:41 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Catorse @ Sep 23 2016, 08:39 PM) *

and YES I own a 356 and a 914 as well as some other Porsches.

And yes they are all Porsches!

You miss my point, when that car is reconstituted it will not be a 356, rather it will just look like a 356. Similarly, I've been to PCA events where the "cognoscenti" will fawn over a Beck 550 with a VW engine, that I will admit was well executed, but it is not a Porsche, it just looks like a Porsche.

I assume you are familiar with the term for "knock-off" high end timepieces, leather goods, designer clothing, etc.? Counterfeit?...."something false or copied that pretends to be genuine". That's what that car in the woods will be if it gets to be reconfigured to look like a 356. And someone will probably pay north of 100 large to buy it. But Porsche mania does not have an exclusive right to this sort of insanity as more than a couple very high end Italian cars have been reconstituted with little more than a few frame fragments and a chassis number.

And finally, I guess I must have a chip on my shoulder because authenticity, originality and integrity are highly prized by me when it comes to automobile valuation.

Paul
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Sep 24 2016, 09:30 AM
Post #15

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344

So, where do you draw the line? We assume the VIN is intact. Suppose the cowl, windshield frame and roof are retained...I know, working the roof back to shape will take a master metal massager and beau coup hours. And let's say correct suspension and engine components are located and installed. Isn't that enough DNA to call it a Porsche 356?

We've seen some intense rustorations on this site that entailed piecing together from many donors to make a whole car, including repro sheet metal panels. Are those just 'knock offs"?

I'm glad this 'car' has been saved from rusting into the earth and I'm pretty sure if I saw it at a show with a notebook of restoration pics that I'd be amazed and impressed.
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Sep 24 2016, 09:48 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

If someone media blasted that car (I'd love to see the residual metal that was left), welded in Porsche manufactured chassis and body panels (some of which are available), sourced an era appropriate 356 engine, and added as much OEM interior/exterior hard and soft trim as possible.......yea, I'd call that a Porsche.

Paul
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Sep 24 2016, 12:24 PM
Post #17

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Sep 24 2016, 08:48 AM) *

If someone media blasted that car (I'd love to see the residual metal that was left), welded in Porsche manufactured chassis and body panels (some of which are available), sourced an era appropriate 356 engine, and added as much OEM interior/exterior hard and soft trim as possible.......yea, I'd call that a Porsche.

Paul

OK, so, no reproduction body panels. What if the restorer hand fabricates a panel and welds it in? Is it ok to reupholster seats using modern fabric and the original seat frame? Are new fasteners allowed? What about interior door panels? I could go on but I don't want to beat that horse. To me, a restoration is as much about the documentation as the the finished piece. I want to see the starting point and the processes and materials that go into the final presentation. In the end however, a restoration must stand on it's own and reflect an attention to detail appropriate to the level to which it aspires.
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Sep 24 2016, 01:33 PM
Post #18

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I just hope she can be saved.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
jmitro
post Sep 24 2016, 02:11 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 18,986

I, for one, LOVE these finds and rescues missions. So cool!

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Sep 24 2016, 10:48 AM) *

Paul

I get your point, but Kelty360 is right.....where do you draw the line?
+Quote Post
BK911
post Sep 24 2016, 04:00 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 1,674

Wow.
99% of that *car* will be replaced.
Keep the Vin and replace everything else.
And that's OK with some who don't agree with Vin swapping.
What's the difference?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:46 AM