Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oil pressure relief valve.
GregAmy
post Nov 4 2016, 08:52 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

Just picked up on this topic (was away racing last time this came up).

I have a vexing oil temperature problem on my street car. Just basic driving around during the summer and my oil temperatures hit the red zone on the center console gauge, dipstick thermometer reads 260+ and oil pressure goes below 5 psi at idle. Chris installed his oil pressure relief valve and it didn't seem to make a difference. I've checked as best I can (short of pulling the engine covers) that the oil cooler is free of debris. The thermo bellows is working fine and I can hear the doors moving and whacking their stops when I actuate it manually.

In reading through this and looking at that diagram above...I'm now wondering if that filter bypass valve is either soft or mis-located? If I read that correctly, if that ball is not properly seated then it would allow oil to not only bypass the filter, but the cooler as well.

Chris mentions above that oil flow would stop if if that bypass were disable and the filter becomes plugged. However, don't all modern oil filters come with an internal bypass valve? If the filter spec'd for the T4/914 does not have an internal valve, I have to imagine you could find one with the same physical specs but with an internal bypass?

Why would we not want to take this legacy bypass valve completely out of the system and go with a modern bypass oil filter? Is this something that can be disabled while the engine is still in the car?

Greg

Edit: Just looked at Post #15 diagram again...what caught my eye was the EXTERNAL oil cooler, not the stock cooler. So then this valve doesn't appear to have an effect on stock oil cooling flow.

However, same query applies: why not replace with a filter with a bypass and disable that internal valve?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Nov 4 2016, 04:31 PM
Post #22

Get that VIN ?

Group: Members
Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

Does all the oil pass through the filter and then through the remote cooler ?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 12:43 PM