Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BlazeCut Installation, What I learned....
oakdalecurtis
post Sep 24 2016, 01:33 AM
Post #1

Oakdalecurtis

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

I purchased the 6 foot BlazeCut Fire Suppression System. This length only requires one length down one side of the lid, one curve, and one length back the other side of the lid. I also found that the stiff tubing does not like to bend into a tight enough arc to fit into the confines of the engine lid. The tube kinked at the center of the curve, but I don't think it damaged it. I bought an electrical gray pipe curve, 3/4" ID, split it with my band saw, and zip tied and taped it around the BlazeCut tubing at the center of the arc where the tubing wanted to kink. This supported and held the tubing, keeping the tubing in the required arc while preventing it from kinking. I also found that plastic zip ties were not strong enough to hold the tubing in position under the engine lid. The stiff BlazeCut tubing does not like to bend or go where you want it to very easily. As you can see, I removed my rain tray a while ago since I never take the car out in bad weather and the engine runs cooler without it.
I fastened the tubing to the underside of the engine lid using metal pipe claps, 3/4 ID, and short self tapping metal screws into the lid supports. I wrapped the BlazeCut in heavy plumbers tape wherever it came in contact with the metal lid. I also cut thin strips of black tape and put them on the top side of the BlazeCut tube so you could not easily see the white tubing through the engine grill from the outside.
If you look on the left side of my engine lid, you can also see a steel braided cable I added a while back so I don't have to hold on to the engine lid when I open it. Without the cable, if you popped the engine lid and didn't hold it, it would fly open and put a lot of bending force on the hinges, which I have already rewelded once. Now the cable catches it before it works on the hinges.
BTW, if you have a weak opening engine cover, here's a link to an easy and simple fix that lets you put more pop in the opening, especially with the extra weight of the BlazeCut under the lid. My lids pops open fully now, even with the tubing under it.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=290514&hl=
I hope I never have to find out how well the BlazeCut tubing works!
Attached Image
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Sep 24 2016, 02:56 AM
Post #2

working on my first 914 !

Member No.: 19,896
Region Association: Europe

Thanks for your update and tips&trics. I understand you removed the raintray.
Do you think it will be possible to install one WITH the raintray still there based on your experiences with the install now ?
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Sep 24 2016, 03:07 AM
Post #3

Oakdalecurtis

QUOTE(Frankvw @ Sep 24 2016, 01:56 AM) *

Thanks for your update and tips&trics. I understand you removed the raintray.
Do you think it will be possible to install one WITH the raintray still there based on your experiences with the install now ?

The rain tray would block most of the mounting points on used in my car. I don't know how I would mount it with the tray in place, but there is enough room above the engine. You can't drill holes for mounting screws in the plastic tray for obvious reasons, so you would have to come up with some other clever way to mount it there.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Sep 24 2016, 06:03 AM
Post #4

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Yeah, I bought one of these a few months ago, and it's been sitting on my workbench waiting for me to figure out how to install without removing the raintray. I need my raintray, so I'm not sure how or if it's going to get installed any time soon...

Thanks for the write up.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Sep 24 2016, 09:46 AM
Post #5

Oakdalecurtis

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Sep 24 2016, 05:03 AM) *

Yeah, I bought one of these a few months ago, and it's been sitting on my workbench waiting for me to figure out how to install without removing the raintray. I need my raintray, so I'm not sure how or if it's going to get installed any time soon...

Thanks for the write up.

I suppose you could screw the clamps right into the rain tray if you put a little silicone glue on each screw as it went through the plastic. It's not like the water from rain that gets in the tray on the top side is under any pressure to get past the screws.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 24 2016, 09:48 AM
Post #6

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Looks good! Conduit clamps work well in this situation. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Sep 24 2016, 11:18 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Attached Image

Mine fit
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Sep 24 2016, 11:50 AM
Post #8

Oakdalecurtis

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Sep 24 2016, 10:18 AM) *

Attached Image

Mine fit

Looks good Billy, you may find that heat and ozone degrade the zip ties over time and they will break. Also, if you can see the white tubing through the engine grill, you can hide it from view. Put about on inch long strips of black plumbers tape on the top half of the tubing where you can see it from above the engine grill, and the white tubing "disappears' from outside view. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Jul 9 2020, 11:07 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 21,628
Region Association: Southern California

@BeatNavy - given the recent couple of engine fires that have been documented here, I thought I'd dig this thread back up - any luck on an install WITH the rain tray over the years?
+Quote Post
willieg
post Jul 9 2020, 12:16 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 22,389
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Sep 24 2016, 12:18 PM) *

Attached Image

Mine fit

PanelBilly: How did you stop the BlazeCut from kinking at the bends?
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jul 9 2020, 12:59 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I ended up getting mine from @beatnavy .. I painted it flat black and put it on mu GT lid. Fits perfect.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Jul 9 2020, 01:18 PM
Post #12

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Jul 9 2020, 01:07 PM) *

@BeatNavy - given the recent couple of engine fires that have been documented here, I thought I'd dig this thread back up - any luck on an install WITH the rain tray over the years?

Hey Brian - as Ben noted above, I ended up giving mine to him so he could install. I still wanted to keep the rain tray and didn't want to try to make it fit with that.

Hopefully I won't come to regret that in a big way, and hopefully Ben won't need it!
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jul 9 2020, 01:32 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jul 9 2020, 11:18 AM) *

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Jul 9 2020, 01:07 PM) *

Hey Brian - as Ben noted above, I ended up giving mine to him so he could install. I still wanted to keep the rain tray and didn't want to try to make it fit with that.

Hopefully I won't come to regret that in a big way, and hopefully Ben won't need it!

I agree. 2020 has been an overall awful year in many ways.. I don't want to need it.
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Jul 9 2020, 02:48 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

I like it and Curtis is doing it right by carrying a back up extinguisher..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Jul 9 2020, 03:03 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876

QUOTE(Coondog @ Jul 9 2020, 01:48 PM) *

I like it and Curtis is doing it right by carrying a back up extinguisher..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Since most of us seem to do a lot of running in groups, I've always figured an extinguisher is there as much for me as anyone we may be driving with... Anytime I see a torched 914 it gets me in the gut because I know how much most of us put into them in blood, sweat, tears and $$$$.

"Two is one and one is none" aka a backup is never a bad plan in case one doesn't work or finish the job.
+Quote Post
Beach914
post Jul 9 2020, 03:17 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 11,519

I carry a Halon extinguisher and one of the "Element" brand extinguisher sticks in each of my cars.
I remember reading this thread awhile back and its something I should consider doing.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Jul 9 2020, 03:19 PM
Post #17

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

The Blaze Cut system looks really cool...but looks like it's only effective on fires above the engine tins. Is there a piece for under?
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Jul 9 2020, 06:12 PM
Post #18

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(willieg @ Jul 9 2020, 11:16 AM) *

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Sep 24 2016, 12:18 PM) *

Attached Image

Mine fit

I bought it from Amazon and it came rolled up. I took advantage of the natural curve and fit it into the lid.
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Jul 9 2020, 06:30 PM
Post #19

Oakdalecurtis

[/quote]

I actually over bent mine at first and it kinked! I was shocked that it didn’t blow! But since it continued to try to kink at the center as I curved it, I took some electrical pipe curves, cut them in half and wired them around the curve to prevent the BlazeCut from kinking any more. You can see my fix in the photo. If you don’t overbend it, it will make the 180 without kinking...

Attached Image
+Quote Post
CHIZ 914
post Jul 9 2020, 07:15 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 22,118
Region Association: None

Was thinking about that system and looks to work very good, the fit with a rain tray would be the issue
Now just have a fire bottle with a quick release seat frame mounted, perhaps add another one, but might clutter up the cabin. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:01 PM