Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Replaced Shifter Bushings - What Did I do Wrong?, Transmission Shifter Linkage Bushing, spring
Movin6
post Sep 25 2016, 12:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,615
Region Association: North East States

After I put the shaft back on, fourth and fifth gear require pressing against the spring. The 'neutral position' (no spring force) is the middle gears - Second and third.

Confused since the coupler has a set screw for positioning as dies the back end with the ball cup. I did not touch anything inside the car. (Just coupler bushings, rear bushing that the rod goes through at the side shifter, and the ball cup.)

Can I buy a clue?! Thanks in advance.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Sep 25 2016, 02:12 PM
Post #2

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Sounds like the shift consul in the cabin is 180 degrees off. But sounds like you didn't touch that?
+Quote Post
Keith914
post Sep 25 2016, 02:41 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 19,948
Region Association: Southern California

I have discovered that very small rotation adjustments with the linkage make a big difference and new bushings can cause this. Try this which worked for me from a fellow 914W Jim Hoyland. Start by loosening the pinch bolt on the shifter bushing under the shift handle. With vice grips secure the shift rods under the engine rotated (clockwise lookin forward) fimly in the 4th gear position. Return to th cabin and secure the shift lever over towards the passenger side with a bunjy cord. Place the shift lever in your preferred forward/back position for 4th gear. Tighten the pinch bolt. Hopefully "walla".
+Quote Post
Movin6
post Sep 25 2016, 09:01 PM
Post #4

Hey thanks! That makes sense. Tighten all the slop and the pinch bolt adjustment becomes critical. I'll give the procedure a try!

Best,

"C"

QUOTE(Keith914 @ Sep 25 2016, 04:41 PM) *

I have discovered that very small rotation adjustments with the linkage make a big difference and new bushings can cause this. Try this which worked for me from a fellow 914W Jim Hoyland. Start by loosening the pinch bolt on the shifter bushing under the shift handle. With vice grips secure the shift rods under the engine rotated (clockwise lookin forward) fimly in the 4th gear position. Return to th cabin and secure the shift lever over towards the passenger side with a bunjy cord. Place the shift lever in your preferred forward/back position for 4th gear. Tighten the pinch bolt. Hopefully "walla".

+Quote Post
Movin6
post Oct 3 2016, 07:57 PM
Post #5

This procedure pretty much worked. I say pretty much, because I'm very close, but not quite there... Seems very small rotation of the rod in the pinch bolt at the shifter make a large difference.

Right now, the first to second shift puts me in 4th gear. So I am still pressing against the '1st & Reverse spring', if that makes sense.

Which way do I want to move the shifter when I loosen it? Sightly to the right, correct? i.e. towards 4th and 5th.

+Quote Post
Movin6
post Nov 2 2017, 03:37 PM
Post #6

Following up in case it helps someone else. I now have all gears, second is right at the 'edge' of the spring. What worked for me was grabbing the shift shaft in the tunnel with a pair of hose-gripper-pliers. The kind with the curved jaws, to encircle the whole shaft. I would hold with the pliers and move the shaft ever so slightly while loosening the clamp at the shifter. Many tries and test drives were needed. and patience!

Thanks for all the replies and help!

QUOTE(Movin6 @ Oct 3 2016, 09:57 PM) *

This procedure pretty much worked. I say pretty much, because I'm very close, but not quite there... Seems very small rotation of the rod in the pinch bolt at the shifter make a large difference.

Right now, the first to second shift puts me in 4th gear. So I am still pressing against the '1st & Reverse spring', if that makes sense.

Which way do I want to move the shifter when I loosen it? Sightly to the right, correct? i.e. towards 4th and 5th.

+Quote Post
porschetub
post Nov 2 2017, 04:30 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Movin6 @ Nov 3 2017, 10:37 AM) *

Following up in case it helps someone else. I now have all gears, second is right at the 'edge' of the spring. What worked for me was grabbing the shift shaft in the tunnel with a pair of hose-gripper-pliers. The kind with the curved jaws, to encircle the whole shaft. I would hold with the pliers and move the shaft ever so slightly while loosening the clamp at the shifter. Many tries and test drives were needed. and patience!

Thanks for all the replies and help!

QUOTE(Movin6 @ Oct 3 2016, 09:57 PM) *

Keith is total correct,this is exactly how I have recently done mine,I did it twice moving the rod to the right ,first time I found the gate wrong but not by much,one more adjustment and the shaft gate was spot on,hard to explain but you know when its right because the shift lever goes where you point it was little resistance.
I have found clutch adjustment fiddly but since I packed out the throwout bearing arm pivot I have touched the adjustment since.
Good luck.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:05 AM