Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

26 Pages V « < 14 15 16 17 18 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The 914 conversion, 3.3 Ltr suby upgrade
Chris H.
post Mar 6 2018, 07:04 AM
Post #301

Group: Members
Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

The alternator is in the spot where the A/C compressor used to be. I used a Miata drive belt if I recall correctly. I'll check the size when I get a chance.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 6 2018, 07:19 AM
Post #302

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

Several ways to do the alternator. Easy if you do not want A/C is to put the alternator over there. It can also go where the power steering pump is. That requires a bit of fabrication. It can be as nice or as crude as you want. Nothing wrong with crude if it is of sound design.

It can also be mounted in its stock location and you just have to build spacers for the manifold. I would do this in the center section as your dealing with round ports. And it only really has air to move at that point. Fuel injectors are down in the lower section. And I would keep them there to keep them close to the intake valves. Gas does not like to stay in small droplets for very long. Of course velocity and other factors will help keep it suspended, but all the same, it will want to go back and form larger droplets. It also likes to cling to surfaces.

Enjoy the process Chris is the guy that took my ideas and made the reality beyond the mockup stage.
+Quote Post
flmont
post Mar 7 2018, 11:38 AM
Post #303

Member No.: 9,676
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hi Chris,..Iam trying to figure out where you used the turnbuckle to help secure the Alternator Attached Image thanks
+Quote Post
flmont
post Mar 20 2018, 10:38 PM
Post #304

what would be a good source for a strong axel set-up,.I want to start sizing those up soon as I can,..?? Thanks !! Frank
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Mar 21 2018, 07:29 AM
Post #305

Frank,

Sorry I did not see your post. I attached the turn buckle to the REAR bolt hole (in the picture below I circled the front one). I enlarged the hole a bit so that I could push a 12mm bolt through it. It is threaded I believe. Then I attached it to a bolt on the intake manifold. You will find one that lines up pretty well.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 21 2018, 12:30 PM
Post #306

QUOTE(flmont @ Mar 21 2018, 12:38 AM) *

what would be a good source for a strong axel set-up,.I want to start sizing those up soon as I can,..?? Thanks !! Frank

What inside and outside flanges are you using, that will determine the route you go.
+Quote Post
flmont
post Mar 21 2018, 03:30 PM
Post #307

All 901 flanges I guess,..I need beefy axels,..for my beloved 3.3
+Quote Post
flmont
post Mar 21 2018, 06:07 PM
Post #308

Ahh Sweet,..Chris Thank You !!
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 23 2018, 08:26 PM
Post #309

Not much you can do here with stock parts. You might be able to find a modified VW T-1 CV with chromemoly Cages and other "mods"

The 944 joint is probably the easiest solution.

Next set up is 108mm, this gets you into the 930 CV joints and if you make enough HP to break one of the modified units, well then you're making serious HP and or torque.

The easiest way to the latter is flange adapters. And order new CVs and have the axles made up. You might be able to get the proper length in pre-made lengths.
+Quote Post
flmont
post Mar 29 2018, 07:54 PM
Post #310

Are there any venders that I can order the parts from,..?? I know Renegade Hbyd's has a set for 600.00 but U have to order and wait 6 weeks..
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 29 2018, 08:05 PM
Post #311

Patrick Motorsports

CVs can come from all sorts of places.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 29 2018, 08:07 PM
Post #312

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Cut your 901 axels to length then send them to Dutchman Axel. They can cut the 29 tooth broach for the Subaru end. Not many people offer this service because the 29 tooth broach is an oddball size. Deutchman Axel 503-257-6604. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 29 2018, 08:14 PM
Post #313

Also, a set of 3 flanges in the Pelican 911 Used parts forums 3 of them for $150

Finding the outside adapters or stub axles might want to check with Bruce, or post a WTB AD
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 29 2018, 08:16 PM
Post #314

QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 29 2018, 10:07 PM) *

Cut your 901 axels to length then send them to Dutchman Axel. They can cut the 29 tooth broach for the Subaru end. Not many people offer this service because the 29 tooth broach is an oddball size. Deutchman Axel 503-257-6604. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Kent he is using a 901 trans, be so much easier if it was an MT5. Just do a custom axle, or Subaru Gears flanges, etc....
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 29 2018, 08:19 PM
Post #315

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

sway away might have the axles in stock.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 29 2018, 08:38 PM
Post #316

QUOTE(914forme @ Mar 29 2018, 07:16 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 29 2018, 10:07 PM) *

Kent he is using a 901 trans, be so much easier if it was an MT5. Just do a custom axle, or Subaru Gears flanges, etc....

Oh duh! Missed that. Quickly, someone talk him out of that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Mar 29 2018, 10:46 PM
Post #317

A lot of people have done fine with stock 914 axles and CVs @ 230 hp. It's the CVs you have to worry about. Mine were original equipment so the CV cages broke quickly. I would buy new CVs if you stick with stock. Renegade Hybrids has a full setup with adapters and axles with larger CVs. Looks like it's $699. Similar to the Patrick Motorsports setup but it comes with the axles and CVs.

LInk to RH

+Quote Post
flmont
post Mar 30 2018, 10:47 AM
Post #318

Oh,..Ok..thats very helpful Thanks to all,..!! Iam sure I will go Subaru trans eventually for now I just want it on the ground and moving,.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 30 2018, 10:57 AM
Post #319

Kent, we have tried so many times we have tried.

I get it though. But the swap now is so well documented it is hard to pass up.

For cost comparison:
Hangers for the rear, get a local welding shop to build a set, around here that might be $75.

Trans, from a U-Pull yard it is $100 off Ebay it is $400 and up

Cable shifter, build your own - welding might be required. $110 most of that is good quality push and pull cables. For a built setup, your looking at $400-$600

Hydraulic clutch ~$100 in parts.

Spool to convert to 2 wheel drive free - welding again, to $200

Back Cover Free - $200

Set of resplined access to run the inner Subaru CV and the stock 914 outer. $200

That is between $885 and $2285 this does not include the extras if you decided to start doing the build to handle 400+ HP. Things like LSD and not the drug, 930 CV joints, bigger badder axles, and then other items from the Subaru Gears catalog of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) bits. I don't want to add up that number. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

the 901
Adapter from the engine to trans $$$?
Flywheel ???
clutch ???

All adds up to ???

Run stock CVs you may pop them now and again.

The pros to the 901 costs, he has it, it is free until you start spilling the guts, which makes for a poor unusable 901.

The Pros to the MT5, enjoyment, lack of destruction, and well the proper gearing for the engine.

The cons for the 901, poor gear spacing unless you custom gear it. That adds up quickly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) in cost. I have one sitting in the shop right now if you wish to discuss the costs of such work. It has about 4K worth of parts without labor to get it set up. And the shifting, oh the shifting to fix that you can have several grand (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) in parts from Tangerine Racing, and JWest engineering. And it still will not be as good as the cobbled together cable shifter and a transmission that is 20+ years of evolution.

Oh man the cost of a built 901 setup is in the $6000 range, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) why did I add that up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

The Cons of the MTS, you need someone with a welder to build the trans hangers or find a set of Ian's since your using his cradle. Having to get the axles splined. Ian used to sell these also. Only real con I see to the MT5 is perceived initial cost and the conversion to a hydraulic clutch. Both are pretty much just a hurdle to get you to 914 conversion paradise.

Ultimately like everything else it is his choice.

Now, look at it this way.
Since I have both of these transmissions sitting in the shop.
Ultimateish 901 vs the Nice MT5
901 has custom gearing a 904 main shaft, an Al Intermediate plate, custom gears all the way out to an H 5 gear set, and a Quaiffe TB LSD in it. I would have preferred a Guard, should have never sold that one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) With the Jwest bits, the Tangerine Bits, and still had to do milling for the 914-6 hand throttle. I am looking at over $6K invested in making a 914-6 go. BTW I will be changing out the gearing to make it match better the 914-6 needs. That H 5th and Z 4th are a bit tall for the 914-6. This trans was built originally for a WRX build. Still htings that could be done to make this 901 even better.

The MT5 again my build I have Oh I do not want to know, let's say 6K in it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) It might be more it might be less. F'it for the comparison you need to know. Subaru Gears Parts, MT5 from a Legacy GT 3.?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Ring and pinion. An OBX Limited slip, modified with better bolts and washers and completely blueprinted. the Shifter setup, and still need to purchase the push-pull cables. It is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) $2800 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) Wow that is not as bad as I thought. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) F' that crap go MT5! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) For that number, I went with what is purchasable. So I substituted the OBX for the Subaru Gears TB LSD. I also added the Subaru Gears oil Site glass I forgot about in the above specs. That is presuming you can find an MT5 for $400, but now easy to change the number for comparison. Without the LSD you drop to $1900! Most people would never use the LSD 99.9% of the time. I do not drive like most people (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

So my plan would be sell your 901 bits and conversion pieces and go MT5.

+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 30 2018, 03:15 PM
Post #320

Stephan, spring for the brass shifter bushings. You won't regret it. The engineer in you will appreciate the close tolerances. I replaced the new plastic ones on the V8 car with these and it made a big difference. https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperC...T_pg2.htm#item4
Hi-Jack over. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post

26 Pages V « < 14 15 16 17 18 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:52 AM