Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

26 Pages V « < 15 16 17 18 19 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The 914 conversion, 3.3 Ltr suby upgrade
flmont
post Apr 1 2018, 02:22 PM
Post #321

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,676
Region Association: Southwest Region

LOL,..914forme,..Its not all lost,..I bought the whole set-up for the 914 with the 901 trans,..adapter plate and the 3.3 engine with complete clutch set-up...Etc..this is the quickest way for me and Its still taken over a year to get this far,..!!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
flmont
post Apr 1 2018, 02:33 PM
Post #322

So trying to install this combo gauge to my 3.3 ECU,..But Iam not sure what the Fan symbol means in the gauge,.???

Attached Image
+Quote Post
theer
post Apr 1 2018, 04:54 PM
Post #323

Member No.: 19,014
Region Association: North East States

Isn’t it obvious... turbo afterburner!
+Quote Post
914forme
post Apr 1 2018, 05:10 PM
Post #324

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

924 / 944 combo gauge, nice.

it is a hamster wheel to let you know when they die.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Apr 1 2018, 05:15 PM
Post #325

In reality I do believe it is the brake warning light?
+Quote Post
flmont
post Apr 1 2018, 06:41 PM
Post #326

makes sense,..car's a little to heavy for Hamster power..and that wheel is not big enough !!! Lol Thanks
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Apr 2 2018, 09:07 AM
Post #327

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(914forme @ Apr 1 2018, 06:15 PM) *

In reality I do believe it is the brake warning light?

Correct sir.
+Quote Post
flmont
post Apr 2 2018, 04:46 PM
Post #328

Great,.. I shall carry on with the wiring,..Whats the worst that can happen burn up my ECU if I wire something wrong, correct.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Apr 2 2018, 07:02 PM
Post #329

Yes, that is the worst thing that can happen. Used to tell the electronic students that we will teach them how to put the smoke back into the fried components next year. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Apr 2 2018, 07:03 PM
Post #330

And somewhere I have the wiring diagram for the 3.3 ECU, Chris might have one also I'll PM you if I find it.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 3 2018, 05:55 AM
Post #331

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I have a wire diagram and the smallcar conversion instructions. PM me with your email if you want them.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914forme
post Apr 3 2018, 07:24 AM
Post #332

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Yep that is the one I have somewhere (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

If you purchase the info from Small Car it comes with labels Easy enough to recreate.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 3 2018, 07:39 AM
Post #333

914-6 GT in waiting

I have the smallcar diagram but it’s too big to post.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Apr 3 2018, 01:36 PM
Post #334

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

QUOTE(914forme @ Mar 30 2018, 12:57 PM) *

Kent, we have tried so many times we have tried.

I get it though. But the swap now is so well documented it is hard to pass up.

For cost comparison:
Hangers for the rear, get a local welding shop to build a set, around here that might be $75.

Trans, from a U-Pull yard it is $100 off Ebay it is $400 and up

Cable shifter, build your own - welding might be required. $110 most of that is good quality push and pull cables. For a built setup, your looking at $400-$600

Hydraulic clutch ~$100 in parts.

Spool to convert to 2 wheel drive free - welding again, to $200

Back Cover Free - $200

Set of resplined access to run the inner Subaru CV and the stock 914 outer. $200

That is between $885 and $2285 this does not include the extras if you decided to start doing the build to handle 400+ HP. Things like LSD and not the drug, 930 CV joints, bigger badder axles, and then other items from the Subaru Gears catalog of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) bits. I don't want to add up that number. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

the 901
Adapter from the engine to trans $$$?
Flywheel ???
clutch ???

All adds up to ???

Run stock CVs you may pop them now and again.

The pros to the 901 costs, he has it, it is free until you start spilling the guts, which makes for a poor unusable 901.

The Pros to the MT5, enjoyment, lack of destruction, and well the proper gearing for the engine.

The cons for the 901, poor gear spacing unless you custom gear it. That adds up quickly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) in cost. I have one sitting in the shop right now if you wish to discuss the costs of such work. It has about 4K worth of parts without labor to get it set up. And the shifting, oh the shifting to fix that you can have several grand (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) in parts from Tangerine Racing, and JWest engineering. And it still will not be as good as the cobbled together cable shifter and a transmission that is 20+ years of evolution.

Oh man the cost of a built 901 setup is in the $6000 range, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) why did I add that up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

The Cons of the MTS, you need someone with a welder to build the trans hangers or find a set of Ian's since your using his cradle. Having to get the axles splined. Ian used to sell these also. Only real con I see to the MT5 is perceived initial cost and the conversion to a hydraulic clutch. Both are pretty much just a hurdle to get you to 914 conversion paradise.

Ultimately like everything else it is his choice.

Now, look at it this way.
Since I have both of these transmissions sitting in the shop.
Ultimateish 901 vs the Nice MT5
901 has custom gearing a 904 main shaft, an Al Intermediate plate, custom gears all the way out to an H 5 gear set, and a Quaiffe TB LSD in it. I would have preferred a Guard, should have never sold that one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) With the Jwest bits, the Tangerine Bits, and still had to do milling for the 914-6 hand throttle. I am looking at over $6K invested in making a 914-6 go. BTW I will be changing out the gearing to make it match better the 914-6 needs. That H 5th and Z 4th are a bit tall for the 914-6. This trans was built originally for a WRX build. Still htings that could be done to make this 901 even better.

The MT5 again my build I have Oh I do not want to know, let's say 6K in it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) It might be more it might be less. F'it for the comparison you need to know. Subaru Gears Parts, MT5 from a Legacy GT 3.?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Ring and pinion. An OBX Limited slip, modified with better bolts and washers and completely blueprinted. the Shifter setup, and still need to purchase the push-pull cables. It is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) $2800 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) Wow that is not as bad as I thought. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) F' that crap go MT5! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) For that number, I went with what is purchasable. So I substituted the OBX for the Subaru Gears TB LSD. I also added the Subaru Gears oil Site glass I forgot about in the above specs. That is presuming you can find an MT5 for $400, but now easy to change the number for comparison. Without the LSD you drop to $1900! Most people would never use the LSD 99.9% of the time. I do not drive like most people (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

So my plan would be sell your 901 bits and conversion pieces and go MT5.

Finally, something in this cool thread that I can comment on. If you do continue down the 901 route, please, please, please let me help. That $6k price is for lots of goodies I bet you don't need. The CVs, as mentioned, will be a big weak point. The V8 guys break them often enough with the 901. Gearing can be $$$ or not, depending on which gears. You may have the difference of one tooth between say a S and a T gear, and an S is way less expensive and more common than a T ( I haven't actually seen a T, I know they exist). A 904 shaft adds money, as does the gear on it. There may be alternatives in using an F or GA, different R/P. Lots of options and it will depend on what you want in the end. Now, when you want to go to 300HP and the best possible combo, I cannot argue that the M5 is way better and completely suited. For the 901, check on adapters as that is your main cost "just to get it running" and then you can figure out your gears from how you love/hate the stock gears. Saves money, and is like a science experiment. I have some parts I can donate to the cause (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
flmont
post Apr 3 2018, 06:13 PM
Post #335

WOW,..that is a lot of info,..I will go MT5 somday,.but as I have said,..Iam trying to get it off the jack stands and driving before summer hits Tucson,.I don't work on cars outside once it starts hitting 100 plus,..and that day is coming on fast !!!
+Quote Post
flmont
post Jul 1 2018, 05:04 PM
Post #336

Due to my new work location( tired of outside),I wanted to remove the door's but man those pins are in there hard,I've soaking them for 2 weeks now on and off and they just don't want to break free the tops are loose,But the bottom's just don't budge I've been using WD40...Attached Image
+Quote Post
flmont
post Jul 1 2018, 05:08 PM
Post #337

Attached Image This is why I wanted the doors to come off,plus jambs need to be painted.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 1 2018, 07:16 PM
Post #338

Your 6 bolts away from your goal. I never pull the door pins. Bolts are so much easier, and you can mark the post, but most of the time the jamb will show you exactly where the hinges once resided.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 1 2018, 07:30 PM
Post #339

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 1 2018, 09:16 PM) *

Your 6 bolts away from your goal. I never pull the door pins. Bolts are so much easier, and you can mark the post, but most of the time the jamb will show you exactly where the hinges once resided.

You need a door hinge pin removal tool. We try not to remove hinges because you have to realign the door when you bolt it back. It’s easy to get close but hard to get exact. It’s very difficult to knock them out with a punch. They really need to be pressed out or use a slide hammer. WD-40 is good for some things but not freeing stuck bolts. Heat works well but around painted areas you want to use a penetrating oil. Still won’t make a difference in the hinge. The pins are a very tight fit.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 1 2018, 07:33 PM
Post #340

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 1 2018, 06:16 PM) *
Your 6 bolts away from your goal.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Just unbolt it from the door jamb ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

26 Pages V « < 15 16 17 18 19 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:44 AM