Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

26 Pages V « < 18 19 20 21 22 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The 914 conversion, 3.3 Ltr suby upgrade
Chris H.
post Aug 14 2018, 08:20 PM
Post #381

Group: Members
Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

If you're going back to the old mount you won't need to trim the upper coolant hose.

Try flipping the black plastic intake around so the intake hose is on the passenger side. It gave me a lot more room.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
flmont
post Aug 14 2018, 09:39 PM
Post #382

Member No.: 9,676
Region Association: Southwest Region

I did,..But my battery is mounted on that side and where I am cutting the tube for the cone it ends up right there So I did cut out a 1.5 by 4 in long section out of the back of the cold air intake right where it meets the fire wall and as long as I can change the IRIS valve fitting it looks like it will work,BUT I then have to wonder about drive ability with that much space being squeezed or missing.The tube is 3" or 3 1/4" round and I will have to fiberglass the back area,.or what I might end up doing is using a 3" by 6" silicone tube thru the tight section SiliconeIntakes.com
has a bunch of different sizes of tubes
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Aug 15 2018, 07:20 AM
Post #383

I moved my battery to the other side, mainly to accommodate the wiring. Just happened to work out for the intake as well. You'll get it to work one way or another. Just make sure there are no leaks in it.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Aug 15 2018, 11:46 AM
Post #384

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Just FYI, but this thread an one other inspired me. I am actively acquiring parts for a SVX swap into my bus. Replacing the corvair/power glide powerplant. It will be nice to have AC and heat so I can drive all season (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 15 2018, 11:59 AM
Post #385

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 15 2018, 01:46 PM) *

Just FYI, but this thread an one other inspired me. I am actively acquiring parts for a SVX swap into my bus. Replacing the corvair/power glide powerplant. It will be nice to have AC and heat so I can drive all season (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Doc - if you don’t want to rewire the svx main harness to the ecu, I have a guy. Charges ~ $550. I think Frank used him as well. My 914 was his first, he mostly does bus’s.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
flmont
post Aug 15 2018, 02:33 PM
Post #386

I did use him,.but his fee was higher than 550 for me,.it was 700.00,.so I hope when I get it wired up it starts like he promised ,..he did send a You tube video of A SVX starting,.so I can only assume it will..!!
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 15 2018, 02:38 PM
Post #387

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(flmont @ Aug 15 2018, 04:33 PM) *

I did use him,.but his fee was higher than 550 for me,.it was 700.00,.so I hope when I get it wired up it starts like he promised ,..he did send a You tube video of A SVX starting,.so I can only assume it will..!!

It was a while ago so the 550 could be off. I think I paid an extra $75 for a small harness to the front fans.
+Quote Post
flmont
post Aug 15 2018, 03:12 PM
Post #388

LOL..Mepstein..So did I which was included in that price,So as long as I hook it all up correctly should save me time,I would still be dicking with that Harness Iam sure !!
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Aug 15 2018, 04:07 PM
Post #389

You have no idea the hours you have saved.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 15 2018, 06:02 PM
Post #390

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

And wow Doc that is great news on the SVX swap (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) you need one in a 914 also.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 15 2018, 07:25 PM
Post #391

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 15 2018, 06:07 PM) *

You have no idea the hours you have saved.

I didn’t save any time because I don’t have the knowledge or skill to do it. Just one of those (many) things I have to farm out if I want the car to run. But I am happy with the guy who did it. Like Frank said, it was tested on an engine so it should be good.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Aug 15 2018, 08:14 PM
Post #392

QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 15 2018, 07:02 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

And wow Doc that is great news on the SVX swap (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) you need one in a 914 also.

Speaking of that I know a guy who might want to sell his... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) . It would have to go to a very good home though. I've He's owned it for almost 17 years. Still just not driving it enough due to time commitments. Hate to see it not being used.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 15 2018, 08:33 PM
Post #393

Do tell I would love to own another SVX, especially if I could swap a 5 or 6 speed manual into one. I really had a sweet spot for the one I had while I had it. But the auto slush box is a pure POS.

I'll PM you for since we kinda hi-jacked this thread.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Aug 15 2018, 08:54 PM
Post #394

No I mean I might this guy might sell his EG33 powered 914.
+Quote Post
flmont
post Aug 16 2018, 03:09 PM
Post #395

After all that work,.??
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Aug 16 2018, 03:21 PM
Post #396

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Well depending on how well you 'know this guy', I'm sure you can find some information on his build, what he's done to make it a reliable car, and some pictures to go along with all of that.... Maybe some people here even know him and can attest to the build quality, etc. to the point that 'he' can sell it. Seems like a lot of work just to let it go though - sometimes life gets in the way of having fun but 'he' never knows when the opportunity to drive 'his' project more than ever will come up. Keeping it makes people look for chances to enjoy it again! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 16 2018, 06:08 PM
Post #397

I get what "this guy" is going through, I know a guy that has a Cayman that sits in the garage while he drives a Cayenne everyday. Drives me crazy every time I am over at his place. Cars that sit do not stay operational for long.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Aug 17 2018, 11:01 AM
Post #398

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

LOL, no way am I buying another 914. Would be a great car, though. My 914 has the 2.7/6 so its good. Keeping it sports, slimmed down with no bells or whistles.

As for the harness, appreciate the info. This is definitely one time where I have more money than time and I am using EvilWerks income to fund this endeavor. I am buying a conversion kit from SubiSwaps in El Cajon and it comes with everything I need. I wish I had more time as I love making harnesses and such. I have an extensive electronics background starting in high school and then being an avionics technician in the Coast Guard. Just no time with work and being a single parent during the week.

I actually have a friend headed to SC right now to pick up a rebuilt 090 VW autobox for the bus, and a torque converter. Same friend sold me the SVX engine and all the parts for $900. Had a care advertised local for $1000, dude never answered. I would have bought the whole thing.

Ill post my BS up in my bus thread....sorry for hte hijack, just wanted to belong (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
flmont
post Aug 17 2018, 02:35 PM
Post #399

No Hi-jack,..were down with all of it...!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Aug 17 2018, 04:46 PM
Post #400

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 17 2018, 12:01 PM) *

LOL, no way am I buying another 914. Would be a great car, though. My 914 has the 2.7/6 so its good. Keeping it sports, slimmed down with no bells or whistles.

As for the harness, appreciate the info. This is definitely one time where I have more money than time and I am using EvilWerks income to fund this endeavor. I am buying a conversion kit from SubiSwaps in El Cajon and it comes with everything I need. I wish I had more time as I love making harnesses and such. I have an extensive electronics background starting in high school and then being an avionics technician in the Coast Guard. Just no time with work and being a single parent during the week.

I actually have a friend headed to SC right now to pick up a rebuilt 090 VW autobox for the bus, and a torque converter. Same friend sold me the SVX engine and all the parts for $900. Had a care advertised local for $1000, dude never answered. I would have bought the whole thing.

Ill post my BS up in my bus thread....sorry for hte hijack, just wanted to belong (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Don't worry Doc there will still be things to tweak on the electrical side that should satisfy your electronics desires (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . I have all the manuals and stuff and some extra parts so feel free to contact me if you have any questions. BTW there is a modification to the governor on VW auto transmissions that you may want to look into. Apparently some people shave it down a bit to make it kick down more easily and shift at better points for a more powerful engine. I barely know what they are talking about but I'm sure you do. Search The Samba in the Vanagon section and you'll find plenty of info.

OK on with Frank's thread! What's the latest Frank? Did you completely install the engine with the Coldwater mount? Is it still in the car?
+Quote Post

26 Pages V « < 18 19 20 21 22 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:09 PM