Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 911 valve adjusters in 1.8 rockers, any advantage for offset installation?
Mueller
post Sep 25 2016, 10:24 PM
Post #1

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

I thought I bought a 1.7 from a member and it looks like it is really a 1.8 that had 1.7 D-Jet installed on it.

So the rockers have the larger 10mm holes instead of the 8mm 1.7 rockers so my 911 swivel feet adjusters won't work as is.

Would there be any benefit to ensure the valve tip to adjuster foot is perfectly aligned or should it be offset a tad more one way or another?

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Sep 26 2016, 12:16 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

They are offset from the centerline of the valve so the the wiping action causes the valve to rotate slightly, this helps keep the contact surfaces of the valve to valve seat clean of carbon and reduces hot spots on the valve and valve seat.
There was a member here that had shimmed or machined the rockers to line up dead center but I don't remember who. How much difference it would make, I don't know and it could be years before any difference was noticed.

Jim
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 26 2016, 02:28 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Sep 26 2016, 06:16 PM) *

They are offset from the centerline of the valve so the the wiping action causes the valve to rotate slightly, this helps keep the contact surfaces of the valve to valve seat clean of carbon and reduces hot spots on the valve and valve seat.
There was a member here that had shimmed or machined the rockers to line up dead center but I don't remember who. How much difference it would make, I don't know and it could be years before any difference was noticed.

Jim

Correct and well explained, but shimming is a bandage machining the rocker the arms is the cure,do not change the rocker arm offset to the top of the valve stem.
I'am running the original CB performance ones in my speedster plastic copy with an 1.8 euro carb motor ,I machined the arms and it works fine with arms from an 1.7.
Appears these kits are now poorly made (samba info) and to go to 911 ones is very expensive.
You can still maybe buy the original adjustment screws but I don't know of a source.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:28 PM